Amazon Studios to Develop Original Comedy and Children's Series for Amazon Video

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Quote: "Can anyone name a tv show whose premise would need 5 pages?

Certainly not a children's show
I suppose I will have to "pad" it quite a bit

Cheers

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by THX1311: Certainly not a children's show
I suppose I will have to "pad" it quite a bit

Cheers

The Robot was created by a Scientist who has long since disappeared, leaving the Robot by itself. An electric fluctuation while it was charging erased parts of the Robot's memory so it needs the help of the Audience to remember basic things: The Alphabet, Numbers, Figures of Speech, Trivia about the World. Then in each episode you have a clue to the Robot's true identity and the location of its master. The clues are hidden in the day's School Lessons in Alphabet, Numbers, Geography, etc.

It's like Hugo + Angels & Demons. It can run for hundreds of episodes

Do I win the job?

09 September 2012
Doing a full cg animated series for 55k doesn't make sense, but for a live action show with a small cast and few locations, or a series with Southpark-style limited animation, it's perfectly viable. There are a lot of professional or semi-pro independent film makers who are making a whole lot less than 55k per project.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by Meloncov: Doing a full cg animated series for 55k doesn't make sense, but for a live action show with a small cast and few locations, or a series with Southpark-style limited animation, it's perfectly viable. There are a lot of professional or semi-pro independent film makers who are making a whole lot less than 55k per project.

And yet they still own their content.

The great thing about initiatives like these is it highlights the fact that "they" are always thinking of the big picture. And truly shows the value of IP or original content.

I say Kickstarter, Indiegogo, Rockethub would be a wiser bet, since you could get investment straight up, advertising and a community right out of the box if you have a good idea and present it well. And best of all you still own the content.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by Phrenzy84: And yet they still own their content.

The great thing about initiatives like these is it highlights the fact that "they" are always thinking of the big picture. And truly shows the value of IP or original content.

I say Kickstarter, Indiegogo, Rockethub would be a wiser bet, since you could get investment straight up, advertising and a community right out of the box if you have a good idea and present it well. And best of all you still own the content.

Agreed about the value of IP.
But...

and I cannot believe I am going to say this...

why not? They are beign quite upfront about it.
I would see this as a WORK FOR HIRE situation with a very favorable deal.

And you get to BRAND yourself as the creator of IP X.

When you do work for hire, you assume that the company you are working for owns the IP.

For the Amazon deal I would do this, but I would not give them my most prized piece of IP.
I would create something JUST FOR THIS. (the same way I do when I am dealing with a client)
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 09 September 2012 at 12:08 PM.

09 September 2012
Someone is missing the point- surely you aren't getting 50k for an entire production run- only the premise (thus 5 pages)- 50k for an idea is not a bad deal- maybe you pitch it good enough and find yourself a job in the production process? Who knows, but leads are leads.

09 September 2012
Quote: "Someone is missing the point- surely you aren't getting 50k for an entire production run- only the premise (thus 5 pages)- 50k for an idea is not a bad deal- maybe you pitch it good enough and find yourself a job in the production process? Who knows, but leads are leads."

To be very
honest mate I would be happy just for the $10,000 USD they are paying just for those optioned for a development slate.
( I could upgrade my hardware finally)

As I said IMHO the only "real work" is the 5 page proposal.
I am a father of two I could prattle on about what I think children would find funny for five pages I guess .

As far as animation samples
No "real work" on my part, as they will only get proof of concept animation using automated/Canned
lipsynch/mocap /voice generation content from Poser/DAZ.

Cheers

Last edited by THX1311 : 09 September 2012 at 01:11 PM.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: Agreed about the value of IP.
But...

and I cannot believe I am going to say this...

why not? They are beign quite upfront about it.
I would see this as a WORK FOR HIRE situation with a very favorable deal.

And you get to BRAND yourself as the creator of IP X.

When you do work for hire, you assume that the company you are working for owns the IP.

For the Amazon deal I would do this, but I would not give them my most prized piece of IP.
I would create something JUST FOR THIS. (the same way I do when I am dealing with a client)

No you are right to say this.

If you treat this as a job and approach the task in a business-like manner (ie not putting all your eggs into one basket). The rewards are great. Creation of something that could have the potential to develop further, brand recognition, not to mention merchandise sales oh and that money thing .

Its a situation i wouldn't mind at all, just as long it an idea i valued the most.

09 September 2012
All of this requires a big assumption: That these projects will actually get views and make money. This approach has yet to prove itself (has anyone watched any of those Amazon Studios storyboard movies all the way through?) Amazon isn't doing this out of the goodness of their heart, they want product. Actually, the whole thing kind of baffles me since ideas are a dime-a-dozen, and if their development people take over the idea, why even bother with crowd-sourcing? But I am very curious as to what sort of cache being the originator of a (yet to be seen) successful idea would bring. I think it would have to be an awfully big hit to bring in any real profit or notoriety to the originator.

And along the lines of the "studio system", you have no idea what the P&L sheets are for any project, so you are at the mercy of what Amazon decides to share with you - just like the traditional studios. I seriously doubt they are going to open up their books for you to see their actual profits on any project. After all, these are the people who supposedly don't know how many Kindles they've sold.

09 September 2012
Last year I used amazon's createspace and kindle direct publishing to republish a book I had at an expensive print on demand service and languishing for ten years. I dont make enough in royalties to register a blip but I have sold some without any marketing effort--a lot more than with the other service at any rate. They do seem interested in selling books and not just making money off the authors like a traditional print on demand or vanity publisher.
Some people report selling 200 000 units. It seems like a decent system if you have several items to sell and not just one like me.

09 September 2012
I agree with Roberto, I don't see why not?

If you are entering the business of creating and IP for the purpose of making money off of it, then directly selling an idea and not looking back should definitely be something you consider. If you've got a great idea but don't do anything with it, it's worthless... so having an open channel to maybe make some money and have someone bring it to life seems like a good thing to me. If you feel it's worth more, then absolutely look for better deals or ways to monetize.

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread