Amazon Studios to Develop Original Comedy and Children's Series for Amazon Video

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Amazon Studios to Develop Original Comedy and Children's Series for Amazon Video

Rob note:
Yes Amazon.com is in the IP creation business.

During a conference in Baltimore I meet today a rep of AMAZON STUDIOS.

During a brief conversation about animation and IP she pointed out that they were looking for animated content..
Needless to say this got my attention...
Still I got to say Caveat Emptor

Press release:

May 02, 2012 11:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time
Amazon Studios to Develop Original Comedy and Children's Series for Amazon Instant Video

Writers, animators and filmmakers around the world are now invited to submit comedic and children's series proposals

SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--(NASDAQ:AMZN)-Amazon.com, Inc. today announced that Amazon Studios is expanding its development efforts into comedy and children's series. Amazon Studios is Amazon's content development division that uses audience feedback to identify great, original entertainment customers will love. Starting today, series creators are invited to upload their proposals for comedy and children's programming to Amazon Studios at http://studios.amazon.com/getting-started/series. The best comedy and children's series will be distributed through Amazon Instant Video, Amazon's digital video streaming service.

"In the course of developing movies, we've heard a lot of interest from content creators who want to develop original series in the comedy and children's genres. We are excited to bring writers, animators and directors this new opportunity to develop original series."

"Amazon Studios wants to discover great talent and produce programming that audiences will love," said Roy Price, director of Amazon Studios. "In the course of developing movies, we've heard a lot of interest from content creators who want to develop original series in the comedy and children's genres. We are excited to bring writers, animators and directors this new opportunity to develop original series."

Each month, Amazon Studios intends to option one promising new project and add it to the development slate where it will be tested for viability with an audience. If Amazon Studios elects to distribute a full-budget series, the creator will receive a $55,000 payment, up to 5 percent of Amazon's net receipts from toy and t-shirt licensing, and other royalties and bonuses. Amazon Studios' production company, the People's Production Company, is signatory to the Writers Guild of America and to The Animation Guild, Local 839.

To submit, a project must have a five-page description, along with a 22-minute pilot script for comedies, or an 11-minute pilot script for children's shows. Within 45 days of submission, Amazon Studios will either extend an option on the project for $10,000 or invite the creator to add the project to the Amazon Studios site. If a project is not optioned, creators may remove their idea from the Amazon Studios site or leave it to get community feedback.

Amazon Studios new series development is led by Joe Lewis, previously with 20th Century Fox and Comedy Central, and Tara Sorensen, formerly with National Geographic Kids.

Amazon Studios launched in November 2010. Since then, more than 700 test movies and 7,000 scripts have been submitted and 15 movie projects are currently under development. For more information about Amazon Studios, visit http://studios.amazon.com. Follow the Amazon Studios blog, Hollywonk (http://www.hollywonk.com) for up-to-date news, tips on filmmaking and writing or insightful interviews with industry leaders.

http://studios.amazon.com/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 09 September 2012 at 02:49 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #2
Translation: People can Stream/watch" Avengers" etc Via Netflix on any Android tablet or Wii Console

We(Amazon) need to recoup our 10-40 Dollar per unit loss on those new Kindle fire HD Models we just price dumped onto the market this last week to under cut googles Nexus7 ,put the nail in Samsung's coffin and Lowball IPad users away from the "Cult".

Now that the other shoe is dropping and the second leg of Sovereign debt crisis
(that actually began in 2008 and was papered over with trillions in Fiat currency mostly from the American Central bank)
,is Woodchippering through the CG industry.

We might have a great opportunity to get some original ,tap my kindle and pay , animated content.
All obtained via Classic "Craigslist "styled ,Spec work "Crowd sourcing"

Time for me to fire up Poser/DAZ and toss some content at the Amazon wall to see what sticks.

Cheers

Last edited by THX1311 : 09 September 2012 at 01:19 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #3
William, you got a point.
There are things that do concern me.

BUT
This might be a big opportunity for animators looking to develop IP.
I have a contact that studios and she may be able to answer some questions
from you guys.(no promises)

-R
UPDATE:
"Amazon Studios — the media arm of the retail giant which looks to develop commercially viable feature films and episodic series — has announced that it has optioned another two children’s series, adding to the three comedies and one children’s show it selected back in June.

Both Gortimer Gibbon’s Life on Normal Street and Javi and the Treehouse Club have been added to Amazon Studios’ development slate, awarding the creators $10,000 in options. As a result, both will be turned into a TV series that will be distributed through the company’s digital video streaming service, Amazon Instant Video."

http://thenextweb.com/media/2012/08...iginal-content/

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 09 September 2012 at 03:04 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
I think it's cool- kinda reminds me of Youtube which could be better but is rampant with fake trailers; however, this sounds like a better opportunity for ppl to make a living?!? Prob a double edged sword

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Interesting development.....

Old 09 September 2012   #6
Originally Posted by CKPinson: I think it's cool- kinda reminds me of Youtube which could be better but is rampant with fake trailers; however, this sounds like a better opportunity for ppl to make a living?!? Prob a double edged sword

The double edged sword is Amazon will most likely want to own everything in exchange for giving you your 55,000 USD.

Also, I can't be sure, but I think these versions of fees for Writers/Directors kind of undercuts the current market depending on what the median value currently is for Writer/Director fees above minimum.

(Note: The Writer's Guild minimum I believe is 25,000 USD, excluding Director and Development Fees).

If it's 55k for "Everything", that's a pretty good deal if the show is really good methinks.

Old 09 September 2012   #7
Wink Cool

Originally Posted by THX1311: Translation: People can Stream/watch" Avengers" etc Via Netflix on any Android tablet or Wii Console

SNIPPY SNIP SNIP

Time for me to fire up Poser/DAZ and toss some content at the Amazon wall to see what sticks.

Cheers

Did you see 12 princes trailer / test movie that get the guy 1 million dollar?

Daz 3D was part of my plan, except my plan also involving my own script, and I hit a snag at getting voice over, and my project fell through. At least I can say that I was there, and tried to do something.

I guess it takes money to make money. And people who have a lot of resources fares better (AFAIK, even award winning people actually hangs there too and trying their luck. People with actor/actress friend also trying, considering they already have the tools and people available).

Old 09 September 2012   #8
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: If it's 55k for "Everything", that's a pretty good deal if the show is really good methinks.

"the creator will receive a $55,000 payment, up to 5 percent of Amazon's net receipts from toy and t-shirt licensing"

The merchandising percentage could also be quite a bit cheque if the show takes off. I'd say overall, this is a good thing given that I'm sure there are plenty of people who have IP's sitting on their shelves doing nothing. If you can manage to sell one for a fair deal, I can't possibly see how that's bad.

Old 09 September 2012   #9
Not a bad gig to get going.

Old 09 September 2012   #10
One thing I would encourage is to form teams to pitch IP

Old 09 September 2012   #11
Deals like this are intriguing on the surface, but will always favor the big corporation more than the little guy. While there's a certain underdog appeal to a setup like this, the idea of letting the public make creative decisions about what gets made sounds like a terrible idea. All those who say things like "this new system will really stick it to those lousy fat-cats at XYZ Studios!" are seriously fooling themselves. The history of successful commercial entertainment is filled with stories of projects that never would have withstood the scrutiny of public taste-makers.

Anyone who's ever participated in a focus group, or had to work on one from the inside, knows what a joke they are. And that's essentially what this is: voting on ideas that are appealing to potential consumers. Questions are leading or confusing, choices limited, and herd mentality is on full display. Results can be easily skewed by biased or small samplings, and in the end all you have is a horse designed by a committee (i.e., a zebra). Is this really how we want to choose which shows or movies get made?

I highly recommend checking out the Scriptnotes podcast (skip to 22:40 for Amazon talk) and hearing what they have to say (even though this was about the changes Amazon made to the system some months ago). This is a great podcast about screenwriting and film projects in general and well worth your time if you're interested in this sort of thing.

Old 09 September 2012   #12
Originally Posted by grantmoore3d: "the creator will receive a $55,000 payment, up to 5 percent of Amazon's net receipts from toy and t-shirt licensing"

The merchandising percentage could also be quite a bit cheque if the show takes off. I'd say overall, this is a good thing given that I'm sure there are plenty of people who have IP's sitting on their shelves doing nothing. If you can manage to sell one for a fair deal, I can't possibly see how that's bad.

Amazon.com is worth almost 90 Billion Dollars (= 90,000,000,000).

And they pay you a measly 55K + 5% for creating an entire "original children's series" for them?

Amazon.com's Staff-Cafeteria bill for 1 day must be higher than that...

Reminds me a little of the "Peugeot Design Contest".

Peugeot gets 100s of original car design ideas and inspirations from all over the world for absolutely free using this contest.

Then it picks 1 guy and makes a 1:1 model of his design.

There's nothing wrong with this kind of contest. But a company as wealthy as Amazon really, really should pay more for this kind of project...

Old 09 September 2012   #13
"Daz 3D was part of my plan, except my plan also involving my own script, and I hit a snag at getting voice over, and my project fell through"

Despite my obvious Cynicism I may actually make a submission for the Childrens/comedy Category

I will only use pre made assets from DAZ.
I cobbled this quick test concept..
THE ROBOT
...together in under an hour using the freeware Daz's Auto lipsych from audio, Instant motion retarget and nonlinear motion mixer and exported the scene to C4D to render with sketch & toon
I even generated to voice with a text to speech engine called convenienceware
The hardest part will be coming up with a five page script for my "comedy"

Cheers

Old 09 September 2012   #14
Originally Posted by THX1311: Despite my obvious Cynicism I may actually make a submission for the Childrens/comedy Category

I will only use pre made assets from DAZ.
I cobbled this quick test concept..
THE ROBOT
...together in under an hour using the freeware Daz's Auto lipsych from audio, Instant motion retarget and nonlinear motion mixer and exported the scene to C4D to render with sketch & toon
I even generated to voice with a text to speech engine called convenienceware
The hardest part will be coming up with a five page script for my "comedy"

Cheers

Sold!!! I'll take ten of them!

So. Awesome.

I was seriously puzzled by the 5 page rule, too. Can anyone name a tv show whose premise would need 5 pages?

Old 09 September 2012   #15
Originally Posted by grantmoore3d: "the creator will receive a $55,000 payment, up to 5 percent of Amazon's net receipts from toy and t-shirt licensing"

No it's not bad per se.

It is something that can "feel bad" if either you or Amazon start "getting ideas". Let's say you pitch it. It works.. it becomes successful for a while and you are happy with 5% of the toys and the t-shirts.

But then one day you bump into a friend of a friend who would like to make t-shirts for your series and you realize you cannot do that without going to Amazon. This friend of a friend is willing to throw money in your direction which Amazon says you cannot take. Amazon in the meantime has granted "favored supplier" status to their own shirt printer and tells you they will consider your friend but they never do.

Your friend calls you an ass-hat and says what was in fact written in your contract: "It's not YOUR show... it's Amazon's show." because when you took your 55k and your 5% you signed over all your rights to Amazon.

But.. you are right.. even the Amazon deal for a highly successful series would be worth quite a bit of money. Just saying it can feel "wrong" if you feel like there's a direction you could be taking and it's not allowed because Amazon owns the show.

Thread Closed share thread