'Mists of Pandaria' Post Mortem?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHarris
Hmm, I don't think so. I was referring to all video game movies. Super Mario Brothers, Double Dragon, Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat. Speaking of Uwe Boll, last one I can think of is Postal.

Point I was making is that, if the general public knows anything about video game tie-ins, it's that they make real stinkers.

When you make a movie about Mario or resident evil no wonder it will stink. Zombies are done so many times I vomit every time I hear it. Mario is a name and that's all it is. It is not a matter of a game tie-in, its a matter of story. If you have a strong story it could be another avatar for all it matters. If there was a cinematic movie such as they did for the lich king and a movie about Mario brothers, which one would you really go to see?

A Blizzard movie, no matter what Wow or other, would be appealing because they have very talented story writers and artists. It would be just another good blockbuster.

Old 09 September 2012   #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipeaNguyen
Weta was working for years to try to make a Halo movie maybe WOW offers a better foundation.

Halo got into development hell not because of a lack of a good foundation.
It was more about the financing construction that MS had in mind (basically they are in full control, they pay for nothing, but they get a lot of the profit) and about Blomkamp being an unproven director at the time (this was before District 9)

Old 09 September 2012   #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamagoo
A Blizzard movie, no matter what Wow or other, would be appealing because they have very talented story writers and artists. It would be just another good blockbuster.

you forget that writing a story and script that works for a game is totally different than writing a good story and script for film.

Also chances are quite high its going to be really bad when you try to cram something like the warcraft universe into a 2-3 hrs movie.
Ppl will expect the same rich and evolved content and experience as in the game, which is impossible to do.

Old 09 September 2012   #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR
you forget that writing a story and script that works for a game is totally different than writing a good story and script for film.

Also chances are quite high its going to be really bad when you try to cram something like the warcraft universe into a 2-3 hrs movie.
Ppl will expect the same rich and evolved content and experience as in the game, which is impossible to do.

Yeah, just see the Final Fantasy movies... blech.

Old 09 September 2012   #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by japetus
Yeah, just see the Final Fantasy movies... blech.

Well I quite enjoyed "Final Fantasy Spirits Within" and wouldn't mind another.

Although I know that is not what you meant :P

Old 09 September 2012   #36
Quote:
When you make a movie about Mario or resident evil no wonder it will stink. Zombies are done so many times I vomit every time I hear it. Mario is a name and that's all it is. It is not a matter of a game tie-in, its a matter of story. If you have a strong story it could be another avatar for all it matters. If there was a cinematic movie such as they did for the lich king and a movie about Mario brothers, which one would you really go to see?

Well that is not the point I was making at all. I was referring to the general public's perception of video game movies, not my perception, and most of them all have the same reaction to the release of such a movie, (snoooooooore).

Now since you brought it up,
Quote:

Based on what? Mario is a game about a plumber who visits a magical kingdom of mushroom people and fights turtles. This could possibly make a good animated movie. My son loves the old 80s cartoons. Let's look at the movie, 2 plumbers in some industrial/post apocalyptic future fight Bowser who is a reptile man and not a turtle. Oh, and Yoshi is a T-Rex. Even as a Mario fan I could not fathom where that story came from.

Look at FF:Advent Children. I was a fan of FF 7 and I'll admit as a fan I really really liked the movie. But looking past that its story was really bad and all over the place. My fanboy blinders shielded me at first but after the second viewing it was like, sheesh, does Square have any idea how to write a good story anymore.

Stories have a tendency to get a bit skewed once Hollywood is done with them, I don't know how Blizzard would be protected from that.

Edit: I get what you were trying to say. If Blizzard did it, it would be gold. You're probably right but I don't see Blizzard taking that risk. Heck, Square got bought out after FF:SW tanked. I think Blizzard would probably turn their IP over to a studio to lower the risk and then Hollywood would do its dance all over the lore.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Last edited by WyattHarris : 09 September 2012 at 07:03 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #37
Quote:
Well that is not the point I was making at all. I was referring to the general public's perception of video game movies, not my perception, and most of them all have the same reaction to the release of such a movie, (snoooooooore).

Now since you brought it up,

Based on what? Mario is a game about a plumber who visits a magical kingdom of mushroom people and fights turtles. This could possibly make a good animated movie. My son loves the old 80s cartoons. Let's look at the movie, 2 plumbers in some industrial/post apocalyptic future fight Bowser who is a reptile man and not a turtle. Oh, and Yoshi is a T-Rex. Even as a Mario fan I could not fathom where that story came from.

Look at FF:Advent Children. I was a fan of FF 7 and I'll admit as a fan I really really liked the movie. But looking past that its story was really bad and all over the place. My fanboy blinders shielded me at first but after the second viewing it was like, sheesh, does Square have any idea how to write a good story anymore.

Stories have a tendency to get a bit skewed once Hollywood is done with them, I don't know how Blizzard would be protected from that.

Edit: I get what you were trying to say. If Blizzard did it, it would be gold. You're probably right but I don't see Blizzard taking that risk. Heck, Square got bought out after FF:SW tanked. I think Blizzard would probably turn their IP over to a studio to lower the risk and then Hollywood would do its dance all over the lore.

It won't be hard to distinguish a Mario flick from a Blizzard flick, and I think the general audience would agree.

I was actually surprised that Mario was still so popular when I saw games were still made for it. I played it in late 1990s and that's where it stayed for me. Mario was good in its prime, it simply is an old idea and to continue to try and squeeze its juices is silly. When I saw advent children I was first intrigued I agree. It was when I first got interested in 3d, so I found it an eye candy myself. But once I matured it was simple to see its flaws. While I personally agree that most of the game/movie ideas were terrible, I cannot but look at why it was so. The whole final fantasy franchise is in part silly because it ignores physics with its massive swords and flying people, it automatically makes a bad movie no matter what the content is. That is probably one the biggest don'ts in any type of movie. Resident Evil, while the first one was passable, it still is an idea that has been done to death.

I might be wrong in my beliefs here, I just hate to see a good idea be floundered. I am having a hard time outweighing positive with the negative.

P.S I am not a big fan of Blizzard, I just adore their cinematics department :P

I think I saw Lich King cinematic over 20 times now, and I might just go see it one more time.

Last edited by Tamagoo : 09 September 2012 at 07:57 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #38
Quote:
I think I saw Lich King cinematic over 20 times now, and I might just go see it one more time.

I think I'll join you.

Edit:
Done, still gives me chills.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Last edited by WyattHarris : 09 September 2012 at 08:03 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #39
Quote:
I think I'll join you.

Edit:
Done, still gives me chills.

Cheers. It simply has everything.

Old 09 September 2012   #40
if it helps, here is a 'making of' vid Blizzard released for Cataclysm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Fq5gx2dmA

Old 09 September 2012   #41
Quote:

Thats the thing. Blizzard wouldn't do that. Why try to cram it all into one. We know it would be impossible and so do they. Plus whats the benefit of putting all your eggs into one basket? They would probably find a good thread within the world and develop around that.

Old 09 September 2012   #42
Hey! Double Dragon was an awesome movie!!
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 09 September 2012   #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanosHunyadi
if it helps, here is a 'making of' vid Blizzard released for Cataclysm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Fq5gx2dmA

That sculpt of Death Wing was pretty awesome. Tried to find a better copy of it but I don't see anything official out there.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 09 September 2012   #44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrenzy84
Thats the thing. Blizzard wouldn't do that. Why try to cram it all into one. We know it would be impossible and so do they. Plus whats the benefit of putting all your eggs into one basket? They would probably find a good thread within the world and develop around that.

Yeah, but then you get all the fans to cry that this and that wasnt in the movie (look at lord of the rings movies and how the fans of the books reacted to it).
Especially if you see how the majority of the WoW community likes to complain about everything they can think of.

Best thing would be, imho, maybe telling the history of warcraft (even before the first game)... I think that could be an intresting thing to make a movie of and build uppon that with sequals etc.
But then it would suddenly cost allot more of effort and money, making it even more risky.

Last edited by CHRiTTeR : 09 September 2012 at 08:19 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #45
Quote:
(look at lord of the rings movies and how the fans of the books reacted to it).

With enthusiastic praise and adoration? Most readers I come by say the movies did an amazing job adapting the book to screen.

But nevertheless I think fans would appreciate a well told story in the universe as opposed to a big history/lore lesson of dozens and dozens of characters running around doing things for the sake of fitting everything in.

www.MichaelSime.com

Thread Closed share thread