'Mists of Pandaria' Post Mortem?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #16
Yeah, live action, get Uwe Boll on the helm, what could possibly go wrong?

Old 09 September 2012   #17
Actually Uwe Boll DID approach Blizzard about directing a warcraft movie, and was almost literally laughed off and then proceeded to write an angry blog about it or something like that.
I'm sure it can still be found in the fold of the interwebs somewhere.

Old 09 September 2012   #18
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: Actually Uwe Boll DID approach Blizzard about directing a warcraft movie, and was almost literally laughed off and then proceeded to write an angry blog about it or something like that.

""I got in contact with Paul Sams of Blizzard [about a World of Warcraft film] and he said, 'We will not sell the movie rights, not to you...especially not to you,'" Boll informed MTV News." =)

http://www.shacknews.com/article/52...uwe-bolls-world

Old 09 September 2012   #19
Oh, I must have missed an episode of the Uwe Boll show...

Old 09 September 2012   #20
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: Actually Uwe Boll DID approach Blizzard about directing a warcraft movie, and was almost literally laughed off and then proceeded to write an angry blog about it or something like that.

i remember that, i was still playing at that point. Its like you said though, the gaming market for WoW is 10s of millions of people, at the low end of that number. You need a lot more to break even on a feature film worth 100 mil+.

The only way to achieve that is market the movie as a kids PG, in which case they miss the point on the brutality thats supposed to be warcraft, so it'll be decried by the fans as a "phantom menace" type of movie, which in turn may end up killing more subscriptions faster than theyre currently dying off.

Old 09 September 2012   #21
Originally Posted by Glenfx: Blizzard should make an animated movie about warcraft.
What i dont understand is if they make about 2 billion$ a year from wow alone, why wont they use a fraction of their income to make a feature film.

Because making a good movie is not as simple as you might think

Old 09 September 2012   #22
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: All of battle.net for all their franchises, including dormant and inactive accounts, is what, 18 mills? 20?
Even if they strike a surpisingly good deal with distribution on the shares they're unlikely to get more than five dollars per ticket. That'd barely recup an average mid-high budgeted CGI movie cost before marketing (which usually doubles the load for a strong franchise, if not triples it). That is assuming every single player they had went to see a movie about just one of three franchises.

The assumption that a fan-based movie can live off fans alone is flawed beyond belief. Many movies based on way larger fandoms have tanked horribly before.
Superman is one of the widest known fandom brands out there, and a 230M movie that with marketing and all probably shot past 400 brought in less than those 400, and didn't boost any synergic market significantly.
Prince of Persia at 200+ without marketing brought in even les...
Just saying

I'm not saying it would tank, and I'd love to see one as they have incredibly strong, if a bit safe, visuals and art direction, but it's very, very far from being a guaranteed success purely based on the branding power of warcraft, which really isn't that huge in the grand scheme of audiences.

But you forget how much media attention WoW got because of its succes and its probably the most known game amongst non-gamers also, even ppl who know absolutely nothing about computer games. Im pretty sure there's plenty of ppl who would be curious about what all the fuzz is about and buy a ticket for the movie.

Thats why i think ticket sales wont be a problem but quality is. If they make a wow movie and ppl dont like it, it could hurt them badly.

Old 09 September 2012   #23
Judging from the storylines and writing in their games I wouldn't want to see them make a movie.

They're great at building lore, but their plots are pretty cliche and predictable. (imo)

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 09 September 2012   #24
Solution...hire Samuel R. Delaney to write the story, then hire Peter Jackson to adapt, direct and produce between Weta and Blizzard. That's what I would do. Weta was working for years to try to make a Halo movie maybe WOW offers a better foundation.

Last edited by PhilipeaNguyen : 09 September 2012 at 06:01 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #25
Would it be 3 hours of running in an open field to bring all the ruby shards to the wizard so he can give you a crappy staff?

Old 09 September 2012   #26
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: But you forget how much media attention WoW got because of its succes and its probably the most known game amongst non-gamers also, even ppl who know absolutely nothing about computer games.

WoW is more well known than Mario? I think not, but I do get your meaning. If anything though, people have learned that video game tie-ins make garbage movies.

These days, I'd have to say Angry Bird's is more well known than WoW.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Last edited by WyattHarris : 09 September 2012 at 05:17 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #27
Originally Posted by japetus: Would it be 3 hours of running in an open field to bring all the ruby shards to the wizard so he can give you a crappy staff?

Lol, but first you need to fetch all the pumpkin's so the missus can make a nice pie. True story, I remember that "quest".
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 09 September 2012   #28
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: WoW is more well known than Mario? I think not, but I do get your meaning.

These days, I'd have to say Angry Bird's is more well known than WoW.

Agreed, WoW is fading from the general consciousness, although when you bring it up people are like, "oh yeah, so-and-so used to play that all the time.." it's getting a bit "old school" if you will.

Have there been a lot of video game movies lately? I feel like they have mostly been replaced by comic book movies now, but maybe I just don't notice them anymore. Has Uwe Boll retired or something?

Old 09 September 2012   #29
I think WoW is generally the poster child for gaming addiction, or gaming overload. At least that's the vibe I get. South Park did a WoW episode that really brought it into the spotlight, but even before then it was kinda known for being that game your friends disappeared after starting to play. Or the game that killed relationships.

Of course that isn't true of everyone who played/plays it, but just the image I feel it has.

But in no way is it on the same level as Mario.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 09 September 2012   #30
Originally Posted by japetus: Have there been a lot of video game movies lately? I feel like they have mostly been replaced by comic book movies now, but maybe I just don't notice them anymore. Has Uwe Boll retired or something?

Hmm, I don't think so. I was referring to all video game movies. Super Mario Brothers, Double Dragon, Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat. Speaking of Uwe Boll, last one I can think of is Postal.

Point I was making is that, if the general public knows anything about video game tie-ins, it's that they make real stinkers.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Thread Closed share thread