I have hard time sculpting in Zbrush

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by BojanStankovski: What do you mean? Well, there are so good tutorials, but they make full characters, is not problem to follow tutorial. But how to learn human anatomy properly? I was told to begin from skeleton, and first to try to sculpt the skull.

Sculpting is something you learn by doing it. It takes time to get used to it.

You need to spend hours trying to make things like a male head, a female head, a monster's head, and so on.

The more you practice, the better you will get at getting the shape and proportions right.

You need to sit down and exercise, exercise, exercise your sculpting.

Over time, you will get better and better at it.

This may take a few days, a few weeks, a few months even.

That depends on whether you are a quick learner or not.

But you will get better and better at it.

Tutorials can help to some degree. But sculpting is something that is best learned by keeping on practicising it.

Don't worry if your first heads/models are garbage. Only by learning/experiencing what is not good can you begin to sculpt heads and other things that actually are good.

09 September 2012
Maybe you're approaching this in a single-minded way that's bound to lead to frustration. Zbrush has grown so much in the last few years and there are so many tools/menus/pulldowns/rollouts that I can understand your feeling overwhelmed. It sounds like you're opening the app with a strict mindset of: "right...I'm going to create a skull from nothing"
This approach is bound to fail. Firstly, because you don't know the tools or how to use them. and secondly, because you don't have a working knowledge of the forms you are trying to create.

This would be like arriving on a construction site and being handed a box of tools that you didn't know how to use and being told to construct a building that you had no idea how it is supposed to look.

Start from the basics, forget about the skull.(at least for now) There is a HUGE amount of Zbrush learning resources out there these days.

Google these names. All Zbrush masters with excellent training material on offer:

Jesse Sandifer-Cgnuggets
Zac Petroc
Ryan Kingslien-ZbrushWorkshops
Scott Spencer

And as already mentioned, Digital tutors have a whole plethora of structured training available.

And of course, I have to mention Michael Pavlovic-Eat3D

09 September 2012
It's simple really, you learn by doing... over and over again. I know that maybe obvious but the issue here is you're starting with a very very complex object. A skull is no easy task even for a vet, so you'll become frustrated and start to lose interest, don't let that happen! Start with simple objects like an apple, a rock e.t.c to get a grip on the tools, it may sound silly but you can learn a lot from simple objects plus they can be completed relatively quickly. The goal here is to finish a project then move on to increasingly more complex pieces.

Anatomy is no easy task, trust me on that! It takes many years of constant practice.

Good luck

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by BojanStankovski: What do you mean? Well, there are so good tutorials, but they make full characters, is not problem to follow tutorial. But how to learn human anatomy properly? I was told to begin from skeleton, and first to try to sculpt the skull.

You're confusing yourself... you're learning 2 different beast. Zbrush. And anatomy. They are NOT the same thing.

If you want to sculpt a skull in Zbrush, obviously you need to learn Zbrush first. So forget your skull for a moment and watch some Zbrush tutorials ok?

Last edited by Panupat : 09 September 2012 at 12:26 PM.

09 September 2012
Anatomy basics is kinda important but not completely necessary if you're going for a more personalized take on things. Ultra-realism tho it is a must.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by lildragon: .....Start with simple objects like an apple, a rock e.t.c to get a grip on the tools, it may sound silly but you can learn a lot from simple objects plus they can be completed relatively quickly. The goal here is to finish a project then move on to increasingly more complex pieces.....

That's sound advice. The big problem with starting on difficult objects is that they often get abandoned to the unfinished projects folder of disappointment. Tackling simple objects first means you have much more chance of actually completing them in good time before you get bored or frustrated with technical problems.

09 September 2012
Like Lil Dragon said, forget anatomy for a few weeks

I learned ZB`s tools by sculpting shapes on spheres, similar to Mayan artwork. And asteeoids. Ideal subject to learn the brushes

09 September 2012
Zbrush's GUI and mechanics can be screwy and intimidating at times! Mudbox is more intuitive to learn on however I think zbrush is a better tool- and honestly it's hard, at least for me, to flip flop between the 2.

09 September 2012
Also, of note, and something that hasn't already been mentioned. Zbrush has become more than just a sculpting app for creating detailed anatomy-based creatures/characters. With the introduction of shadowbox/dynamesh/qremesher/all new topology tools/complicated boolean operations and the transpose tool's new ability to enable traditional modeling-like tools(extrude,inst,etc) Zbrush now makes it easier than ever to realise whatever object you can think of. some of these concepts have pretty much revolutionised a lot of people's workflows.
So, in essence, the anatomy can wait until you have the means to study and sculpt simultaneously without getting bogged down in a UI learning curve.

So, as mentioned, just get in there and create things. Look around the room that you work in, pick a simple object. Create it. Learn. Move on. And on and on you go.

As lildragon said: anatomy takes years to learn. Even some of the most well known ZB anatomy pros claim to still be learning......

09 September 2012
I'm curious, why do you want to make a skull first instead of a face? Was it just a random choice? I ask because you look at your face and others everyday. You have a pretty good idea what they look like. Skull, not so much. You are trying to learn anatomy and while it is good to understand the underlying structure, maybe it would be a good idea to start with a small victory and move on from there.

Like others have said, don't lock yourself in to what you are making before you make it.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

09 September 2012
Thanks guys. I have spent some time doing tutorials from Zbrush. But every tutorial is for making characters.

Do you think if i start with hard surface things in Zbrush, and after i get how does works, i move to doing characters? But in meanwhile i want to start drawing, i see now people say to draw, because i don't if going to help me or not, but i will give it a try.

I want to attend Scott Eaton course for anatomy, do you think i could wait to get know about Zbrush, or it will be good for a start to learn anatomy to draw a bit, and after that, to try sculpt in Zbrush?

How long does it takes to know Zbrush well? A year,2 years? Like, non stop learning, everyday, but i dunno, i would like to spend a bit for drawing too, then to take Zbrush off for a while, and do just drawing?

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: I'm curious, why do you want to make a skull first instead of a face? Was it just a random choice? I ask because you look at your face and others everyday. You have a pretty good idea what they look like. Skull, not so much. You are trying to learn anatomy and while it is good to understand the underlying structure, maybe it would be a good idea to start with a small victory and move on from there.

Like others have said, don't lock yourself in to what you are making before you make it.

Sorry for double post. Well people told me to get first with skeleton, so i get to sculpt the skull. ye, i was starting to do face, but people told me, do a sculpt, because you know what is behind the face etc.

09 September 2012
I can't argue with that. It is good to understand the underlying structure but the skull is pretty complicated. There are probably easier things to start on so you can get that small victory and build on it.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by BojanStankovski: How long does it takes to know Zbrush well? A year,2 years? Like, non stop learning, everyday, but i dunno, i would like to spend a bit for drawing too, then to take Zbrush off for a while, and do just drawing?

For me I floundered with the program for a while until I got a good pay tutorial DVD that taught me how to use ZBrush. After that I had it, so maybe a week or two.

However, that does not teach you how to sculpt, nor does it teach you anatomy. Those take lifetimes to master.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

09 September 2012
Learning to sculpt is much like learning an instrument. And most music teachers will tell you the main thing is practice! It's like picking up a guitar and expecting to play songs as soon as you try to play... I know the feeling on watching videos and some tutorials or videos can make things look easy. But what we dont see on those videos is how many times they modeled to get to that point in their life of being good at what they do...

not sure if this helps..but heres a video I did using zspheres and dynamesh...I forgot to hit record on a part of it..but I think you'll get the idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKiYAfaH7eM

Thread Closed share thread