Old 09-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #31
spacefrog
Frog of the posts

Josef Wienerroither
Freelance
Vienna, Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clappy71
As this thread goes on, it gets twisted from animation tools are not being developed in Max, to they are killing off the whole program.

Well - the original rumor post starts with the headline "Autodesk is no longer going to develop 3dsmax and Motion Builder" , what do you expect ?

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 09-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #32
mustique
Expert
copywriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsGuillemette
Don't get your hopes up...from what I heard they had some talk about such a project but it never started, and all the people tinkering with this idea were fired in the last massive layoff...

Wow. If that's true why not sell the whole M&E division to adobe while it's still worth something.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #33
Airflow
(212) 555-2368

portfolio
Robert Angol
Head Of 3D
Orchard Post
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to Airflow Send a message via Yahoo to Airflow
Sounds to me like they are lining up to have Max for modelling, Maya for animation and Soft for particles in one big creation suite. Kill off the other solo products.
What I have heard on the grapevine from a trustworthy source who will remain unnamed, is that a Max decommission has been discussed and that Soft image support is on the chopping block. This may not happen, but hearing such things from sources who know people on the inside is unsettling. I already have started learning C4d a few months ago. I am hoping AD lets some people with sense step up mike and straighten this all out, you know who I mean.

MY HMC

Old 09-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #34
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Please do not post rumours under cgnews.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #35
trancerobot
Art Compiler

portfolio
Christian Storay
BIM & VDC Modeler
USA

Having read the post... I find that it's very sensible.

I work for a general contractor, my job has very little to do with Max, but because of my interest in CG I make excuses to use it anyway. When I use it for work, I never use the more advanced animation tools - there are no creatures to animate, there are no animals, no people, no complicated car rigs... or anything of that sort.

If Max has become mostly an Architectural tool, and game designers have moved on, then this rumor... minus the click-bait title... isn't a bad idea.

As much as I like Max, I also use Blender, so it's not like I'd be stick with a dead app. And as far as money is concerned, my job paid for the license in a bundle that also includes Revit, AutoCAD, Navisworks, and some others. I don't have to worry about lost investment, and neither does my workplace - since they don't care about that animation stuff anyway.

I suspect this is the case with most of you here. If you are too invested in a single application like that, be it in money or in mind... I feel sorry for you.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #36
cresshead
pro 3d scribbler

portfolio
stephen gilbert
3d designer/animator
United Kingdom

Send a message via AIM to cresshead Send a message via Yahoo to cresshead
3dsmax has the largest installed user base of the big three (3dsmax, maya and softimage)

if you were an accountant, would you be advocating pulling the plug on the app that makes you the most money?

makes no sense to me.
i do feel that autodesk want to move over to a suite model in the near future.

also re interop 3dsmax has had the maya curve editor for some time...it's not just the view cube.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Last edited by cresshead : 09-03-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #37
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

Yeah, considering they've got the most users on Max I doubt they will do anything to jeopordize that.

I also don't see much reason for 3 separate programs for each feature, if I were doing a production that involved modeling, animation, and particles I wouldn't want to have to move everything over to a different program for each step.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #38
TAVO
good looking

jesus valdivia
Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthviper107
I also don't see much reason for 3 separate programs for each feature.

You don't but they might do: sell suites.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #39
GQ1
Tahiti

portfolio
Garrick Quinones
NYC, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
Please do not post rumours under cgnews.

QFA

This should be moved to General Discussion.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #40
PhilipeaNguyen
Frequenter
portfolio
Philip E.A. Nguyen
Philadelphia, USA

I expected this to happen. It seems like AD has briskly moved to making all of their apps multi-platform Max and XSI have huge obstacles to getting there, so the idea probably is to eventually consolidate the function of both apps into Maya (several versions probably) and move forward from there only having to maintain one code base for their non CAD product(s) but allowing them to repackage that with different interfaces.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #41
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

Sounds inline with how things have been going.

Maya's Viewport 2.0 is aimed at viewport speed and modern real-time game engine features.
We've already seen a lot of animation advancements in the last 3 maya releases.

Everyone complains about Maya's modeling and rendering integration, but very few people complain about its animation and rigging capabilities. Integrating motion builder into maya would be a way to help soften the perceived lack of progress it's had lately. I think the Maya team is probably working on some incredible stuff that takes longer to develop than what they can do in a single release cycle or two...or three.

If I were to guess, I'd think XSI would get more of the effects advancements in an attempt to compete with Houdini.

Just a thought - what if they integrated mudbox or at least basic mudbox features into max?

It makes business sense to have different teams focus on different things rather than all teams working on all things - too much redundancy and it'll only stunt growth in the long run with a lack of potency.

Far down the road, there could be a possibility we'll get a single super app that brings all the technologies together in one program, but I think the XSI, max, and maya teams are all located in different places. That seems like a difficult task to accomplish.

Last edited by sentry66 : 09-03-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #42
LuckyBug
Building worlds

portfolio
Star Lord
DMP Environment Artist
MPC London
London, United%2BKingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead
if you were an accountant, would you be advocating pulling the plug on the app that makes you the most money?

I think that Autodesk gains most of its profit from other applications ( ACAD, Studio Tools and other engineering apps ), they could easily quit Max or Maya or SI and it wont hurt them, there will be some angry 3D customers in the first period, but they will be asked to switch to other app.
Either way they wont loose much.

Last edited by LuckyBug : 09-03-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #43
vlad
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBug
I think that Autodesk gains most of its profit from other applications ( ACAD, Studio Tools and other engineering apps ), they could easily quit Max or Maya or SI and it wont hurt them, there will be some angry 3D customers in the first period, but they will be asked to switch to other app.
Either way they wont loose much.

He probably meant out of their 3 major 3D applications...

Old 09-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #44
cresshead
pro 3d scribbler

portfolio
stephen gilbert
3d designer/animator
United Kingdom

Send a message via AIM to cresshead Send a message via Yahoo to cresshead
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad
He probably meant out of their 3 major 3D applications...

indeed i did!...maybe i should have used crayon to hi-light it!

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 09-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #45
Steve Green
Reworking my Reel
Steve Green
Freelance 3D Artist
United Kingdom

Yes it's a rumour, but Max users have long argued that they were chasing the arch-viz dollar - I could quite see Max just becoming 3DS Design eventually.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was the case, doesn't seem to be massively different to the unofficial direction things were going.

I really think Autodesk could do with publicly addressing this sort of thing, the last comment I saw was from Ken when the whole subscription thing blew up, since then it's been a deafening silence.

Thread Closed share thread