Cold-Contacting Recruiters Good Idea/Bad Idea?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #1
Cold-Contacting Recruiters Good Idea/Bad Idea?

In the hunt for a animation job I keep reading that most of the applications submitted through company websites go, for the most part, ignored and that contacting the company's recruiters directly is a far more fruitfull endeavor.

I know a few recruiters whom I've worked with before but for ones I haven't, how do you guys feel about cold-emailing? I can go on LinkedIn and find contact information for recruiters in most studios but I don't know how well that would go over. I keep thinking of that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry gets a girls phone-number off a AIDs walk list.

I guess what I'm really asking is whether recruiters are getting constantly bombarded by random requests like this and prefer people that they don't know or haven't been refered to them by a person they know to just go through the traditional online application process.

OR, are they so on-the-lookout for new talent that they generally welcome people contacting them directly, even if the job-hunter was not refered or known and has just found their contact info through internet searches?

Old 08 August 2012   #2
I think one good aspect about recruiters is that if a job is listed with them they actually need someone to fill it, I dont know how it is where you live but in the UK you must advertise for a position. A large amount of job adds listed on company sites are bogus for sure, they already have someone internal or in mind before the ad goes up, or just put it there to satisfy a legal loop. Oh they often exist there perpetually too. By far the best way is face to face meeting then following up with a formal application or getting someone in the company to put your name forward. Every job and major opportunity I ever got was that way.

Bad aspect of recruiters is when they get you an interview they want a cut from the employer which can put you at quite a disadvantage imo.

Last edited by conbom : 08 August 2012 at 10:48 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #3
I'm not talking about 3rd party recruiters but recruiters within the company. Maybe its not as common to have internal recruiters over in the UK. The problem I'm having is that I live in a very non-industry location. I'm perfectly willing to relocate but I need to get hired before I can do that, mainly because studios are so much more spread out in the US than they used to be. I don't want to put all my money and energy into moving to California only to get hired in Vancouver. I don't want to move to Vancouver only to get hired by a studio in Texas. Because of this, face to face meetings are, for the most part not an option. All my interactions with recruiters so far in getting jobs have been over the phone and through email, so I know this is a perfectly viable option. I'm just trying to branch out a bit into studios I don't already have contacts with.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
Quote: I guess what I'm really asking is whether recruiters are getting constantly bombarded by random requests like this and prefer people that they don't know or haven't been refered to them by a person they know to just go through the traditional online application process

The reality is you can send your cv / reel in on spec , but don't expect a reply unless they are really interested in you. Just the other day I spoke to HR and found out they have over 5000 applications for jobs on there data base for people who "fit" a required standard of experience.

b

Old 09 September 2012   #5
If you post a 3d job anywhere on the net you are guaranteed to be targeted by at least 100 people regardless of whether they match the job description, speak the language or live on the same continent.

Cold calling may not be the nicest way to do it but it works better, and by cold calling I mean actually talking to a human, not just spamming e-mails (this is the only thing I learned doing sales).
E-mails with attachments or links go to the trash.

Old 09 September 2012   #6
I think if there's a lot of people already applying that are qualified for the job then they would get annoyed by you contacting them directly.

However, I know in the place I work they have a hard time finding certain programming positions so in some cases they have a hard time finding a person that can fill a position at all and would appreciate being contacted directly. But that's in a case where there's not many people that can do the job.

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Hi. I work at Dreamworks Animation. I got my interview after applying for a job offer they made at creativeheads.net. The site is linked to siggraph, and they where able to schedule an interview face to face after I applied through their site.

I didnt even have a visa back then. I did had an awesome demo-reel. You want to get a job? You need to give a reason why they should bother in spending relocating you. They shouldnt be able to find anyone else with your skills. The face to face interview is just to know how is your personality (most companies), and also verify that you can answer questions about your reel.

Youre location is trivial. Ive seen people relocated from war zones or really poor countries. They are just very good, and have more motivation to get out than most. Be the purple cow.

If you contact the, directly, be ready to say you already applied for the job through their formal methods.

Cesar Montero - www.artzolio.com

Old 10 October 2012   #8
I can't say that I am all for the idea of cold contacting recruiters but it really seems like something that could help. I just did this for the first time a couple weeks ago. I found a few recruiters on Linkedin that work for one of the companies I want to work at. The first person I found, I emailed since she had her email listed for everyone on her profile. I still haven't heard back but I took a different approach with a different recruiter which was to first send her a connection request on Linkedin explaining my situation. She accepted and was able to help me a little just the other day when I asked her about a position that the company had just posted.

Old 10 October 2012   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread