Pretty nice Caustic Graphics demo in Maya

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #16
Brazil was one of the very best, rock solid render engines i've ever used, and for that reason alone i can't forgive Caustics for killing it and replacing it with this viewport toy while leaving all the community members very upset with nothing but empty hands looking for alternatives, although having real time feedback is very important and productive, but what good is it without a proper production ready render engine to get the job done at the end of the day:

MR-Iray
Vray-VrayRT.

I hope i'm wrong and they have something cooking up in there, but it's still far too early for these types of renderers to be used in actual production, unless perhaps if you are rendering turntables of cars and camera flythroughs of arch viz, show me millions of polygons rendered with displacements, true 3d motion blur, layers of complex shaders plus SSS and characters on screen maybe then we can talk.

No offense intended of course , i'm sure they will find their own consumer base.

Old 08 August 2012   #17
Originally Posted by mister3d: Can you modify in the viewport with Vray RT? And seeing wireframe is also a new thing. It's how it should be, and it, will, eventually, in all major packages.
No you are right, you can't currently interact directly in the RT window and the wireframe overlay is a nice touch but I'll bet good money they're sat on Chaosgroup's To-Do list

Old 08 August 2012   #18
Originally Posted by Lars3D: Why do they always show new render technology on cars?

Not only is it a car, in this case it's not a very pretty one. Apparently fresnel reflections are currently not possible
Can't they pay an artist to make a pretty tech demo scene showcasing the awesome things you can do with their tech?

Caustic has quite a bit going for them, but if they want to get a foothold in the market, they have to acknowledge that there is competition, and show that they can beat that competition by a reasonable margin.

Last edited by noouch : 08 August 2012 at 02:25 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #19
Originally Posted by Kabab: Modo's being doing that since 501 and its not a some 3rd party plugin you go to pay for....

Lightwaves fprime has been doing it since before the modo crew broke off from them

Old 08 August 2012   #20
what exactly is the difference between this and iray?

Old 08 August 2012   #21
Originally Posted by sentry66: what exactly is the difference between this and iray?

In short it acts like a normal viewport but its fully raytraced.

So, you can't edit or interact with the objects in the iray view. You can with this.

Old 08 August 2012   #22
oh ok, I've never used iray. All along I thought you could manipulate objects in iray and the changes would update into the realtime render. I thought that was the whole point of iray - more interaction with faster raytrace previewing using the graphic card.

is this is cpu or gpu based?

Last edited by sentry66 : 08 August 2012 at 10:08 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #23
Originally Posted by sentry66: All along I thought you could manipulate objects in iray and the changes would update into the realtime render. I thought that was the whole point of iray - more interaction with faster raytrace previewing using the graphic card.

That's correct, but now you have not just a separate window for previewing, but seeing it in the viewport. It takes less space and more logical and interactive. You can manipulate your objects in the render window. With Iray perhaps you can only preview it, but not manipulate in the same window.

Old 08 August 2012   #24
Originally Posted by Lars3D: Why do they always show new render technology on cars?

Because cars are perfect to show raytracing

Old 08 August 2012   #25
just when i said out loud "god, this is amazing" they started playing amazing grace on the bagpipes.. ha ha..

i remember back in the day, in order to get a render of that viewport id hit go, grab coffee, take a walk, read an article, come back .. "48 percent done" .. seriously, i cant believe where were at with all this. incredible.

God- "nietzsche is dead"

Old 08 August 2012   #26
so when are they going to sell it and for how much?

Or maybe they need to partner with Mental Ray? They've mainly been targeting MR shaders right? It doesn't work with Vray or other's shaders?

Old 08 August 2012   #27
Are they still the same team? If they killed Brazil once I don't think I'm confident enough to buy any new toys from them.

Old 08 August 2012   #28
That sort of thing is why I'm always sketchy about buying a 3rd party software rendering engine from anyone other than pixar. You can't trust that these smaller companies are going to be around for the long haul or won't get bought out, killed off, turned into a realtime engine, or stop supporting your OS.

3rd party rendering engines IMO are a little risky because you're building assets specifically to use their shaders. When they're not around anymore, how will you go about resurrecting files you did a few years ago without doing a major shader and lighting redo?

With something like this Caustic viewport, it's just another tool for your viewport. IMO there's no reason not to have something like this because this tool is passive as long as your final rendering engine is compatible with it. If it stopped working, you'd still be able to send your your files to the farm without issue.

Old 08 August 2012   #29
Originally Posted by sentry66: 3rd party rendering engines IMO are a little risky because you're building assets specifically to use their shaders. When they're not around anymore, how will you go about resurrecting files you did a few years ago without doing a major shader and lighting redo?
While your concerns are certainly not unfounded I think it's over cautious.

I've been using V-ray for 10 years now and have multiple terrabytes of commercial files that are dependant on it. If (heaven forbid) they were to go out of business and I needed to render something from 7 years ago, I will still have the valid licenses to run it.

Old 08 August 2012   #30
Originally Posted by AJ: While your concerns are certainly not unfounded I think it's over cautious.

I've been using V-ray for 10 years now and have multiple terrabytes of commercial files that are dependant on it. If (heaven forbid) they were to go out of business and I needed to render something from 7 years ago, I will still have the valid licenses to run it.

Right, Vray is one of the more successful rendering engines. If your pipeline depends on them, you probably wouldn't upgrade software until a new version of Vray was available in the first place. Or you'd just leave a copy installed of the last release and last 3d software it was compatible with on the renderfarm.

If they did go out of business, the rest of the industry is going to still move forward. You'll still have to redo your shading and lighting assets for whatever new version of software you move onto.

Then again, I guess the same could be said for any primary 3D software package though.

Thread Closed share thread