Pixar's OpenSubDiv enters open beta

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2012
In reaction to ice-boy's update:

I have no doubts Ton Roosendaal and the guys at Blender Foundation will be able to get an Open Subdiv implementation working in Blender.

Blender is the perfect platform for launching, testing, and disseminating Open Subdiv within an actual working 3D application that remains Open-Source.

This is a happy day.

08 August 2012
All i can say is wow, this is the first time i'm seeing this.

What a way we have come, i remember struggling to run a smooth layer on a character back in college.
I'm really looking forward to where this is taking us.

08 August 2012
Posted to my website an essay on the OpenSubdiv stuff, feel free to give it a read if you want more info...

Pixar's OpenSubdiv Initiative, And How It Can Help You
http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_educa...ubdiv_intro.htm

- Neil

08 August 2012
Neil, out of all of the packages mentioned, Zbrush is the elephant in the room. Similar to PTEX, I'm not sure how Pixologic will add support for subdivision surfaces. Zbrush users may need to use Mudbox as a bridge if it's available to them.

08 August 2012
Maybe pixologic could write a plugin that will use openSubdiv at export times. Since I guess it will be the only time zbrush will need to match their internal subdivided uvs with other apps?
Just thinking out loud.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by JWRodegher: Maybe pixologic could write a plugin that will use openSubdiv at export times. Since I guess it will be the only time zbrush will need to match their internal subdivided uvs with other apps?
Just thinking out loud.

I don't know enough about how zbrush does its subdivision (verts and uvs) to give a good answer to this. But I do know that if their method doesn't match your 3d app of choice, you'll see the same artifacts. So either they need to be using the same stuff, or else maybe its possible to write some sort of exporter. Maybe someone with more zbrush knowledge can chime in here.

- Neil

08 August 2012
I don't have much faith in that happening. I love ZBrush but the Pixologic guys have their head in the sand when it comes to pipeline stuff that they managed to make vector displacements somehow not work with V-Ray. Ptex is still AWOL.

I don't want to start a flame war but Mudbox is dead to me as a sculpting package (I use it for texturing and am on subscription) so I hope Pixologic clues into this.

08 August 2012
That's a shame. They're great developers, there's a lot to win for everyone if they started working in terms of pipeline way of thinking.

I guess workarounds will arise, like subdividing the geo at whatever 3d main app and using that one to calculate displace and normal maps (I'm just assuming here since I'm no zbrush expert, or even frequent user. But I found my self doing something like this in mudbox for textures).

We'll have to wait and see.

04 April 2013
in the middle of the video the modeler is showing models with opensubdiv and models with support loops. why didnt they show the wireframe. i would like to see how the wireframe looks since its 6 times smaller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFZazwvYc5o

i dont understand how the new edge creasing saves faces.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by ice-boy: in the middle of the video the modeler is showing models with opensubdiv and models with support loops. why didnt they show the wireframe. i would like to see how the wireframe looks since its 6 times smaller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFZazwvYc5o

i dont understand how the new edge creasing saves faces.

They do show the wireframes.

From left to right the models on screen are A) subdiv model with additional edges cut in to achieve hard edges on the model B) subdiv model with edge-creasing used to achieve hard edges and C) the base mesh model with no additional edges or edge-creasing.

Model B is the geometry that you should be impressed by. The idea is to maintain the same low resolution of Model C without the additional edges used in Model A.

With edge-creasing all your doing is tagging each edge with information about how sharp it is - you don't need to add any additional edges and when you add edges to a model you add faces.

The simplest way to understand edge-creasing is with a bevelled box. A polygon cube has 6 faces, yet to bevel it with SubDs without the use of edge-creasing requires a minimum of 54 faces. With edge-creasing you can keep it at 6 faces.

04 April 2013
I was disappointed to see the Autodesk 2014 software lineup didn't incorporate OpenSubdiv yet.
There's no excuse for it not to be implemented throughout Maya, Max, and Mudbox 2015 though... if not a sooner point release.

AKIN BILGIC
Modeler / Generalist TD
CGGallery.com

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by earlyworm: They do show the wireframes.

From left to right the models on screen are A) subdiv model with additional edges cut in to achieve hard edges on the model B) subdiv model with edge-creasing used to achieve hard edges and C) the base mesh model with no additional edges or edge-creasing.

Model B is the geometry that you should be impressed by. The idea is to maintain the same low resolution of Model C without the additional edges used in Model A.

With edge-creasing all your doing is tagging each edge with information about how sharp it is - you don't need to add any additional edges and when you add edges to a model you add faces.

The simplest way to understand edge-creasing is with a bevelled box. A polygon cube has 6 faces, yet to bevel it with SubDs without the use of edge-creasing requires a minimum of 54 faces. With edge-creasing you can keep it at 6 faces.
thanks. i understand how edge creasing in normal software works. but i think with opensubdiv its different.
in max you have to use more faces to get a smooth subdivided mesh with edge creasing. compared to the support loop models.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sLJ0ftVu_8

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by RockinAkin: I was disappointed to see the Autodesk 2014 software lineup didn't incorporate OpenSubdiv yet.
There's no excuse for it not to be implemented throughout Maya, Max, and Mudbox 2015 though... if not a sooner point release.

Hear hear. Every package needs to implement this and fast.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by RockinAkin: I was disappointed to see the Autodesk 2014 software lineup didn't incorporate OpenSubdiv yet.

They are still working and refining on it togetter with pixar. It does a bit more than 'just simply' subdividing the mesh... Theres a video about it on the autodesk youtube channel.

By the looks of it even pixar themselves dont hava a 'final' version yet.

I recommend everyone to go take a look at that video, it has a lot of info about the tech. It looks like it does some adaptive subdividing by using hardware tesselation, which is awesome (been waiting for years for this since gpu's offer harware tessellation).

Last edited by ACiD80 : 04 April 2013 at 04:14 PM.

04 April 2013
Dynamic tesselation yes, but I guess they wouldn't want an open standart to be dependent on DX11, since it would be only usable with Windows. That would make no sense for all those linux based studios.

Thread Closed share thread