Pixar's OpenSubDiv enters open beta

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #31
Originally Posted by earlyworm: Now Maya did support creases and it was easy to visualise the creasing effect inside Maya and transfer that info to the renderer and get approximate results. The problem was neither ZBrush, Mudbox or Cyslice supported creases, so it meant that we couldn't sculpt or extract displacement from those objects.

mudbox now supports creases...

Old 08 August 2012   #32
Originally Posted by fablefox: The licensing is the problem. Only source codes that compatible with GPL 3 (or whatever blender code falls in, to busy to check) can be integrated.

And the problem right now is that its not compatible, yet.

EDIT: Wait, why are you asking this? DanielWray already mentioned it - licensing conflict.

Sorry i was not really sure what he meant by licensing. Since iam neither very aware of how Open Source licensing works, nor what blender can implement and what not. for me open sorce = do whatever you want, so yeah mistake on my side.

Old 08 August 2012   #33
What, full res real time! Yikes

Old 08 August 2012   #34
Nice move from the guys at pixar. A bit unnexpected, Ed Catmull is always very outspoken about protecting their technology and ideas. I hope it is only the first one of more things open source to come.

Old 08 August 2012   #35
Originally Posted by Kanga: What, full res real time! Yikes

But i think we shouldnt expect entire production scenes to be so fluent on the average pc.

But still, its verry nice for animators

Old 08 August 2012   #36
Quote: Now Maya did support creases and it was easy to visualise the creasing effect inside Maya and transfer that info to the renderer and get approximate results. The problem was neither ZBrush, Mudbox or Cyslice supported creases, so it meant that we couldn't sculpt or extract displacement from those objects. This meant we were back to cutting additional edges into our models.

GoZ in ZBrush and Mudbox support Maya creases:

https://vimeo.com/13115604

Old 08 August 2012   #37
Originally Posted by DePaint: Now if only the open-sourced Renderman, too...

I've always wanted to try it out.

There are several open sourced renderman renderers (air, etc). Renderman is just a rendering standard.

As far as openSubd goes, this has always been possible with rman, but it's great that it can now be visualized platform free before rendering.
Moving such assets around is probably still not practical, but it definitely helps visualize them before applying a catmull-clark subd to geometry.

Last edited by leif3d : 08 August 2012 at 06:44 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #38
Silly question, bit where exactly is the documentation for this thing?

Old 08 August 2012   #39
Originally Posted by marcuso: Silly question, bit where exactly is the documentation for this thing?

Documentation? You must be new to open source software.

Old 08 August 2012   #40
Hah! Yes, apparently. But so how do you get into using it?

Old 08 August 2012   #41
Originally Posted by marcuso: Silly question, bit where exactly is the documentation for this thing?

Have you read that PDF? http://www.opensubdiv.com/?page_id=84 It's not documentation, but still.

Old 08 August 2012   #42
Originally Posted by mister3d: Have you read that PDF? http://www.opensubdiv.com/?page_id=84 It's not documentation, but still.

I skimmed it but it's clearly above my head. I wouldn't be (capable of) contributing to this project, I would just like to make use of it. But maybe that's not how it works?

Old 08 August 2012   #43
Originally Posted by DanielWray: Off-topic.
I don't think the Microsoft Public License is compatible with the GPL.

This sucks, but I think that is more a fault of the GPL.

Anyway, It will be nice to see this in commercial software (I can't imagine Blender getting it due to the licensing conflicts. Sad.)

It does seem a little odd to me that Pixar has decided to use the Microsoft Public License instead of a BSD variant. The rest of the industry has pretty well standardized on BSD variants for open source library code.

Of course, it's up to Pixar what license they use, and I'm not suggesting that they are doing something wrong (the Microsoft Public License is actually a really nice license, IMO). It just strikes me as a strange choice to break with the rest of the industry.

For the record, the Microsoft Public License is compatible with the GPL v3, but not with the GPL v2:
http://www.opensourcelegal.org/?page_id=532

Blender is licensed under under the "GPL v2 or any later version" terms. So it may be possible to use MPL code in Blender due to the "or any later version" clause. But I'm not a lawyer, so grain of salt and all that.

Old 08 August 2012   #44
Originally Posted by marcuso: I skimmed it but it's clearly above my head. I wouldn't be (capable of) contributing to this project, I would just like to make use of it. But maybe that's not how it works?

I don't have Maya, but I'd wait until it's officially implemented, unless you're a programmer.

Old 08 August 2012   #45
Originally Posted by Cessen2: It does seem a little odd to me that Pixar has decided to use the Microsoft Public License instead of a BSD variant. The rest of the industry has pretty well standardized on BSD variants for open source library code.

I read / heard that some of the technology uses research from Microsoft so that is probably why it's a Microsoft license. Well that is my speculation.

Also, if that is the case with the two licenses then great. It's a real pain when you see issues arise from legal problems that, in my opinion, shouldn't exist in the first place

Thread Closed share thread