Pixar's OpenSubDiv enters open beta

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #1
Pixar's OpenSubDiv enters open beta

Quote:
OpenSubdiv Overview
OpenSubdiv is a set of open source libraries that implement high performance subdivision surface (subdiv) evaluation on massively parallel CPU and GPU architectures. This codepath is optimized for drawing deforming subdivs with static topology at interactive framerates. The resulting limit surface matches Pixar’s Renderman to numerical precision.

OpenSubdiv is covered by the Microsoft Public License, and is free to use for commercial or non-commercial use. This is the same code that Pixar uses internally for animated film production. Our intent is to encourage high performance accurate subdiv drawing by giving away the “good stuff”.

The source code for OpenSubdiv is located on github and is entering open beta for SIGGRAPH 2012. Feel free to use it and let us know what you think through the github site.

https://github.com/PixarAnimationStudios/OpenSubdiv

Platforms supported: Windows, Linux, limited OSX.
http://graphics.pixar.com/opensubdiv
Quote:
Beta
OpenSubdiv is entering an open beta for SIGGRAPH 2012. Uniform subdivision on the CPU and GPU work well but we are not yet doing adaptive subdivision and creating cubic patches to dice with tesselation shaders. Pixar’s internal animation software Presto has uniform subdivision with OpenSubdiv entering beta during SIGGRAPH, with release to animation targeted for September 1st. In addition to hbr, far, and osd, beta contains:
  • A reference Maya viewport 2.0 draw override plugin implemented on osd.
  • A standalone test and ptex viewer for performance testing.
  • A set of regression tests that validate correctness.

Beta supports:
  • Uniform subdivision.
  • Variable and uniform creases.
  • Computing the complete Nth subdivision level for a subdiv. Note that these aren’t limit points yet, but the result of subdividing N times.
  • Ptex texture color and displacement.
  • Support for hierarchical edits.

Note that this code is live, expect that APIs can change as more people use OpenSubdiv and contribute their opinions and knowledge. We believe in agile development practices and welcome feedback about how to improve the APIs we have.

Old 08 August 2012   #2

Old 08 August 2012   #3
wow

I feel like I'm officially living in the future now

Old 08 August 2012   #4
Looks interesting. I'm not sure how it saves information about creases. With subdiv surfaces you can do it too, but it's lost as you convert it to mesh.

Old 08 August 2012   #5
It was very imprssive, seeeing a mudbox creation 1:1 in stable 50fps in maya viewport 2.0

Old 08 August 2012   #6
Brave demo came up...ok, prerecorded video...i'll wait and see if he does a live demo...then that toad demo came up plus the animation.

Old 08 August 2012   #7
I'm very excited, but until it's implemented in major packages and renderers (and less likely in game engines) years may pass.

Old 08 August 2012   #8
Anyone know what is different about Pixar SubDiv surfaces, versus regular SubDs?

Is it the fact that Pixar SubDs run at 50 FPS on a GPU, or is there an aesthetic/visual difference as well?

Old 08 August 2012   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaint
Anyone know what is different about Pixar SubDiv surfaces, versus regular SubDs?

Is it the fact that Pixar SubDs run at 50 FPS on a GPU, or is there an aesthetic/visual difference as well?

i think they're going for full res detail plus it being animation friendly, no need for proxies...which is what any 3d animator would want and here i thought it would be something we'd get within the next 10 years or so and then this demo comes up. **** yeah!

Old 08 August 2012   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister3d
I'm very excited, but until it's implemented in major packages and renderers (and less likely in game engines) years may pass.

Don`t worry years pass fast ; )

Old 08 August 2012   #11
can you imagine this plus Anzovin's Onion skin plug-in or better yet why not just build their own while they're at it! i wish i had these nao.

Old 08 August 2012   #12
Now if only the open-sourced Renderman, too...

I've always wanted to try it out.

Old 08 August 2012   #13
Been wondering when we were going to see GPU hardware tesselation in 3d animation software

Old 08 August 2012   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaint

From what it seems:
-the cage is always uniform, so it's easy to skin (in subd. you have a very non-uniform cage so people often use proxies for skinning)
-easy controls for defining edges and creases - much faster and more intuitive modeling than regular subd. A similar control is there in subd. surfaces, but it's driven by making edges closer to each other, making the mesh non-uniform, so bad for skinning
-very fast (from what it looks), also you can preview displacement, so very accurate animations are possible

It would speed up modeling process, you don't have to add edges. Basically you just model your pow-poly mesh, and define creases. I think it may be 5 times faster than regular subd. modeling. Then also skinning should be so easy and pleasant, as you skin a very lightweight low-poly mesh (lighter than before several times).

Old 08 August 2012   #15
That video demo is rather awesome. It's about time we moved beyond the low-polygon proxy models in the view-port.

Off-topic.
I don't think the Microsoft Public License is compatible with the GPL.

This sucks, but I think that is more a fault of the GPL.

Anyway, It will be nice to see this in commercial software (I can't imagine Blender getting it due to the licensing conflicts. Sad.)

Thread Closed share thread