Time management and how to avoid burnout while learning new skills

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2012
Hey guys!

I've started making myself model at least every other day now. I'm going to put together a book shopping list. These 2010 books are dirt cheap - while I'm loading up, are there any others I should grab?

Reading the reviews on these is sort of scary. Though it looks like it's a case of people who came in with some knowledge of how to do things in 3D space, and those that came in completely green, and then those that came in completely green with no patience.

While I'm at it, how much additional hardship is it going to cause me if I try to keep myself ambidextrous between Blender 3D and Maya? I'm not predicting any problems doing so, but I want to make sure.

08 August 2012
Most video tutorials are mind-numbingly boring in my view, so I'd avoid them unless you find some that really work for you.
Quite often they could be a whopping 30s long but seem to span 5 minutes of "I'm gonna go ahead and...", repeating what we all already know or whatever else.

I've found books better. Usually if someone is going to put something into actual print then they have invested more time/money doing it than some YouTube person or digital copy download pay for stuff, which usually assures better value.

I think Andrews post is good advice. Learn fundamental skills for art/design/creativity, depending on what you like doing more.
They will pay more dividends in the long run than simply being a good modeller in Maya or Blender.

In five years Maya may not exist, Blender might not, or we might all be modelling with brain-interfaces that 'see' our thought out shapes.

Invest in fundamental core skills and they will last a lifetime

Tool skills in the current VFX climate may not last more than five years!?

Dave

08 August 2012
Video tutorials are the bane of my existence. In classes that I want to learn something, I transcribe the class on my laptop (actually, this is part of why I have a back injury) and come back to it later. With written stuff, I'll drop everything for a few days, come back and skim at about 300 WPM until I get to where I was, and it'll be almost like I never paused.

I wish Youtube's 2x playback thing worked for me.

I think I'll try to slam through some of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain later tonight.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by Wolvenmoon: To pull >10 hours on the computer in one day, I have to be doing 15-30 minutes of cardio and another 20-30 minutes of other exercise that day.

Anyone who's sat in front of a computer for 10 hours a day should be doing that anyway!

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by cubiclegangster: Anyone who's sat in front of a computer for 10 hours a day should be doing that anyway!

I wish I'd known as a younger teenager what I needed to do to take care of my body. Knowing what I do now about time management (even the 45/15 minute blocks, which increase working efficiency) would have been immensely useful six or seven years ago!

08 August 2012
Well I have the same problems.

I have a ton of books I have to read but work and family have priority.

Would any of you be interested in doing a Book club?
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by Wolvenmoon: I wish I'd known as a younger teenager what I needed to do to take care of my body. Knowing what I do now about time management (even the 45/15 minute blocks, which increase working efficiency) would have been immensely useful six or seven years ago!

If it's only six or seven years since you were a teenager, all the knowledge about taking care of yourself would have been available to you. That stuff has been common knowledge for a very long time, I know because I've been involved in boxing and karate since I was five, and it was drummed into us all along.
But it is never too late to get out and take exercise, eat the right food and avoid the killer foods, cigarettes etc. It doesn't take a genius to know that sitting 10 hours a day needs to be balanced out. So get out into the fresh air lads and walk, jog, swim or whatever and give your lungs a workout.

08 August 2012
Book club is really the only way to share the weight. Especially when juggling family, work and etc...

08 August 2012
Talking about Burnout when it's just a hobby and ... numbers like 1h-3h a day?
Just have fun with it and do it as long as you feel up to it.
Burnout comes with weeks and months full of 10h workdays and in the worst case other responsibilities like family or kids. Then you can talk about Burnout.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by Panupat: It's all about having fun. If you enjoy the process, you can be at it 24/7 and never burn out.

Not true. I love the process, spent years in the industry giving every waking moment to the art out of love (and the fun) of the craft. But once you get into the workforce (and as you age) if you don't find ways to create space for yourself outside of the process... you will burn out.

Previsualization Society - Founder / Secretary
Independent - Sr. Previs & Layout Supervisor

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by Panupat:
It's all about having fun. If you enjoy the process, you can be at it 24/7 and never burn out.

24/7 of something is what I call an addiction. Addiction is never good.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by Vizfizz: But once you get into the workforce (and as you age) if you don't find ways to create space for yourself outside of the process... you will burn out.

To be fair, if it comes to this it's not fun anymore but work. So he did have a point. As long as you have fun doing something, you can do it forever. And if you keep 3D as a hobby you might never experience it as "work".
But the day you do it for a living is the day you realize that work is work, no matter what you do. It's maybe more fun than other jobs, but in the long run it can be as boring or frustrating as any other job out there.

So to start you can go with the "fun" rule, just do it as long as you enjoy doing it. If you can't do it for more than 1 or 2 hours a day without getting annoyed or bored .. it's maybe not the right hobby. At least at the beginning you should have enough passion do spend more time doing it.
And if you like it and consider doing this for a living after you tested it out ... well then you have to handle it like any other job. You have to learn and improve and spend a good amount of time doing this .. thats the part where is becomes work and where you need to find other activities in your life to keep you from burning out.

08 August 2012
Currently my time limitation is based on how long I can do anything before my pain level is above a threshold where my mind's eye staples itself shut. It's the same with programming (currently less of a programmer than I am a 3D modeler) and gaming as well. I woke up today with about 2-3 productive hours total in me.

After that I'll end up with some pretty gruesome pain. It's less about frustration or boredom and more about pain.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by Wolvenmoon: Currently my time limitation is based on how long I can do anything before my pain level is above a threshold where my mind's eye staples itself shut. It's the same with programming (currently less of a programmer than I am a 3D modeler) and gaming as well. I woke up today with about 2-3 productive hours total in me.

After that I'll end up with some pretty gruesome pain. It's less about frustration or boredom and more about pain.

If it's a medical issue, not an issue of personal motivation, you should be talking to a doctor about it, not random people on the internet.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by Meloncov: If it's a medical issue, not an issue of personal motivation, you should be talking to a doctor about it, not random people on the internet.

I'm not looking for ways to be motivated, I'm looking for ways to avoid demotivation while expanding my skillset in the most efficient and effective way possible. I can't throw unlimited time in to the meat grinder because I don't have it and the reason why is a physical limitation that I've talked to my doctor about.

Thread Closed share thread