The Best VFX Shots of the last Decades

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #31
Originally Posted by DePaint: Yeah, that was some seriously good stuff. Still looks pretty good today.

They also did some great work on Fincher's Panic Room:

http://www.buf.fr/visual_effects.ph...ie&id=540&year=..

I just wanted to say exactly this. I think it was rendered with mental ray, that's why I started learning it. Now I understand it's not mental ray that mattered, but compositing and their serious preparation. Though wastebin looks quite CG-looking.

Old 08 August 2012   #32
As a kid i quite impressed by the crazy CG in the lawnmower man

Last edited by CHRiTTeR : 08 August 2012 at 08:24 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #33
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: As a kid i quite impressed by the crazy CG in the lawnmower man

Yeah. Lawnmower Man was a cool film. That film had a good, original story.

The 3D in it (by Xaos if I remember correctly) was really impressive and inspiring for its time.

What I loved most about the movie was the VR rig he straps into. The one that could tumble in any direction on 3 different axes.

Old 08 August 2012   #34
Lots of great effects, but one of late that put a huge smile on my face was from Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter - the scene with the stampeding horses. It was amazing for so many reasons - including 'audacity'.

Regarding 'destruction scenes' - they seem to be the main stay of many films nowadays, I find them quite boring even if they are technically awesome. I should of been bowled over by the falling tower block scene in Transformers 3, but I couldn't help thinking 'this again?'. Creature and destruction work seem to be pretty much ho hum nowadays.

Old 08 August 2012   #35
Memorable, Flight of the Navigator. I won't comment on it being good or bad but it was a big one for me as a kid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnB7rIL2fy8

I always thought this insurance ad was great. Good effects and great timing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbF6VcjMF5U

The opening dinosaur scene from Jurassic Park from when the camera is on the humans to the lake shot. It's amazing how they got it so right in one of the first full scale uses of CGI.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJlmYh27MHg
The scene, the music, the massive sound, it all added together to create a fantastic experience. My face looked just like Grant, Saddler and Malcolm's watching this scene.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 08 August 2012   #36
Im going to go with this shot, right after Wedge says "their heading for the medical frigate"

The way the Falcon comes from under the camera, then the cam swoops and swings suddenly left under the frigate. So smooth, so amazing considering that that was all done with a motion rig and each shit was printed onto the negative one by one....Perfection

I still stand by my opinion that absolutely no space battle to date has come close to having the energy, the drama and the sense of speed/danger and thrills as this one. It puts EVERY shot in the prequels to shame.

Of course this is just one of the amazing vfx shots that we have seen in the last 30 years and its impossible to pick just one. But this one sprang to mind instantly, so im submitting it.

NOTE: I used tinyurl so that the clip plays at the right time. Its safe to click it!

http://tinyurl.com/c5k8ee8

Old 08 August 2012   #37
For me it was the cave troll and balrog in Fellowship of the Ring, along with their respective environments, topped a year later by the incredible Gollum and the attack on Helms Deep in Two Towers. Almost everything in those films just blew me away and put me on the path to working in vfx. Jurrasic Park has already had a mention too, but deserves a second.
Also The Matrix was a real treat.
The Day After Tomorrow had a big impact on me, I'm really surprised that it hasnt been mentioned before 2012. 2012 took it to be next level for sure, but TDAT was the tentpole vfx movie for me.
The Harry Potter movies affected me in a pretty big way. I was 12 when the first one was released and it was like my dreams come true (and as a fan of the books already, I just couldn't believe they had done it). What a treat it was getting a Harry Potter and a LOTR each Christmas for 3 years!!!
Casper was one from my childhood that i couldnt underatand how they had achieved, but was too young to fully question.

Last edited by nickmarshallvfx : 08 August 2012 at 02:03 AM.

Old 08 August 2012   #38
I have always digged Star Trek 4, when the alien ship was atomizing the oceans.

My favorite space battle sequence was in SW Ep 3: the first shots when Kenobi and Anakin are flying to the starship.

Anything having to do with the Falcon in TESB: evading Star Destroyers or the asteroid field.

Old 08 August 2012   #39
Wink awesome

Oh, I would love to add: Sinkha!!!

http://www.sinkha.com/

Almost all scene is memorable. I bought the latest one (2005?), which is a CD-ROM sized download. Tears in my eye. Beautiful oldskool 3D

Old 08 August 2012   #40
Originally Posted by thematt: one of the best use of cg I remember at the time was the Love sequence in fight club, also done at buf..amazing stuf for that time, and one of my top3 movies.
at 3 minutes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlpr6CnKDFM

cheers

wow. The vfx breakdown has the same style as the film. Awesome.

Old 08 August 2012   #41
Originally Posted by redbellpeppers: My favorite space battle sequence was in SW Ep 3: the first shots when Kenobi and Anakin are flying to the starship.

SW Ep 3? What on earth are you on about? They only made 3 star wars films, Eps 4-6.

Wow, can you imagine if Lucas actually made prequels...that would be so AWESOME! Maybe one day.

Old 08 August 2012   #42
Actually, I'd better have them make an Indy 4 : THAT would be pure gold...

Old 08 August 2012   #43
For me, I've jawdropped or had a total out loud 'wow' moment a few memorable times.

I think both the Cave Troll and Balrog scenes in Fellowship of the Ring both changed the direction of my life
Gollum in Twin Towers
If we aren't talking just CG, then the final death star runs in Star Wars and Return of the Jedi and the final battle in space with the Millenium Falcon and ships going every which way
The bug (beetle) crawling out of The Mummy's face and then him chewing it
The Hulk in the Avengers, 'puny God'
The entire first Matrix movie
The enterpise, the romulan ship, and all the other spacecraft in the latest Star Trek Movie
The White Dragon in Harry Potter the Deathly Shallows
Liquid Metal t1000 in Terminator 2
The District 9 aliens and ship

Last edited by MrPositive : 08 August 2012 at 05:12 AM.

Old 08 August 2012   #44
So hard to nail just a few but some standout work for me.

Jurassic Park CG TRex

LOTR :Balrog, Cave Troll, Helms Deep
(I have to admit I worked on some of this work but is some of my favourite reel work still)

Liquid Terminator

Raiders of the Lost Ark wear house Matte Painting.

All Minature ship work from Star Wars.

One of my favourite use of great VFX is The Frightners.

Some of the Apes from Rise of the Apes is amazing.

Old 08 August 2012   #45
This speeder chase actually got me into 3D:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdSUKIFnYc8

I know, it's one of the prequels but it's pretty awesome.

Thread Closed share thread