TOTAL RECALL is Totally Forgettable Say Reviews

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #61
I would go and see this but.....my local cinema started showing flashbacks on a Monday evenings. So for £4 I can can see quality original 35mm prints of modern classics. So far I have seen Aliens, The Terminator, The Thing, Batman (Burton), Predator, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Die Hard all on the big screen. Next will be Terminator 2 and Platoon. Every showing has been sold out and the atmosphere is great.

I've seen quite a few blockbusters recently. Prometheus being a prime example of my frustration with current cinema. It's all polish and shine. The art departments deliver the look is amazing but when it comes to content they are severely lacking. The least expensive part of film making is a good script but this seems to be constantly overlooked.

I can't afford to be let down by expensive new releases. If I had money to waste I would definitely go and watch this, but I don't. £4, Terminator 2 vs £12 Total Recall (remake) no contest.

Old 08 August 2012   #62
Originally Posted by Rusch: I would go and see this but.....my local cinema started showing flashbacks on a Monday evenings. So for £4 I can can see quality original 35mm prints of modern classics. So far I have seen Aliens, The Terminator, The Thing, Batman (Burton), Predator, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Die Hard all on the big screen. Next will be Terminator 2 and Platoon. Every showing has been sold out and the atmosphere is great.

I've seen quite a few blockbusters recently. Prometheus being a prime example of my frustration with current cinema. It's all polish and shine. The art departments deliver the look is amazing but when it comes to content they are severely lacking. The least expensive part of film making is a good script but this seems to be constantly overlooked.

I can't afford to be let down by expensive new releases. If I had money to waste I would definitely go and watch this, but I don't. £4, Terminator 2 vs £12 Total Recall (remake) no contest.

Awesome, I too wish theaters did more of this. I think for those of us who grew up on those movies on VHS or were to young to see them in theaters it's pretty fun to see them on the big screen "for the first time". They do that at the Cinerama on occasion here too and at the SIFF theater. I was sad to miss Ben Hur 70mm when it came to Cinerama a bit ago.

Old 08 August 2012   #63
Wink me too!

Originally Posted by japetus: Awesome, I too wish theaters did more of this. I think for those of us who grew up on those movies on VHS or were to young to see them in theaters it's pretty fun to see them on the big screen "for the first time". They do that at the Cinerama on occasion here too and at the SIFF theater. I was sad to miss Ben Hur 70mm when it came to Cinerama a bit ago.

Me too! Living in a backwater location in a 3rd world country - I rarely have the option to watch a movie in the cinema - not until much later in life when I worked in the big city.

I would love to watch The Last Action Hero on the big screen. On the topic, Arnold is entertaining. People can say anything about his acting skills, but he is entertaining. And films like The Last Action Hero push that up to a notch. So is he in the original Total Recall. Why does the chip has to be bulky and taken out through the nose? But watching Arnold do it? heahaarehuha ha ha. :-)

You know what, I'll think I'll just like this:

http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/total-recall/

Old 08 August 2012   #64
Last Action Hero--havent watched that in ages. I didnt care for it. One movie I dont mind having not seen in a theater. lol

I really disliked the ending with the Ingmar Bergman's Death appearing. The villain mentioned Dracula and King Kong wanting to come out--they would have been more fun to face off against Arnie. And the weird stuff with the digitally pasted Humphrey Bogart and the cartoon character. I did like the video store scene with the Terminator 2 poster.
I should check it out again though to see if it ages better-like Flash Gordon 1980. Now there's a movie I'd like to see on a big screen with a new print. Watched it the other week on a big tv. Wow what a colourful movie.

Ming: After the earthquakes and tidal waves, they won't be the same human beings. They'll be more tractable. Easier for you to rule, in the name of Ming.

Flash: You mean slaves!

Ming: Let's say they'll be 'satisfied with less'.

Old 08 August 2012   #65
People keep talking about the "original" John Carpenter's The Thing when in fact it was a remake of the 1951 cult classic The Thing (from another world) made in 1951:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044121/

It starred James Arness as The Thing and sci-fi veteran Kenneth Tobey. So THIS one was "the original" with the first remake made by John Carpenter. I'm sure there must be some old folks here who remember that original? I grew up watching those old 50's movies like Them and the film that the original Alien was loosely based on, It, The Terror From Beyond Space. Great flicks!

Old 08 August 2012   #66
Total Recall

I'll reserve judgement until I see it, if I can bother to rouse myself - I enjoyed the original but to be honest, even that would have been forgettable were it not for Arnold Schwarzenegger & Paul Verhoeven's subversive style - pulp sci-fi essentially and disposable at that, but these are the two factors that lifted it to another level.

I don't see that in the re-boot.

Old 08 August 2012   #67
Originally Posted by DSW: People keep talking about the "original" John Carpenter's The Thing when in fact it was a remake of the 1951 cult classic The Thing (from another world) made in 1951:
...So THIS one was "the original" with the first remake made by John Carpenter. I'm sure there must be some old folks here who remember that original?

I remember it! I wasn't around in the 50's when it first came out, but I've seen it. (Spoiler Alert for anyone who hasn't seen the original yet! Although, I should think that a reasonable enough amount of time has passed now since it's release.) The part of that film that stands out for me, is the part when the THING comes through the door and they light him on fire. That looked like a really dangerous scene to film!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl-Y8ZkUenk

One of my favorite 50's monsters, besides Godzilla, would have to be THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON. Love that creature design!

Last edited by webhead : 08 August 2012 at 08:12 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #68
Total Recall finally arrives in Irish cinemas today. I'll probably get to see it at the weekend if the weather is bad.

Old 08 August 2012   #69
Ireland? Bad weather? Bah. You'll never see the movie.

Old 08 August 2012   #70
Originally Posted by Pixanaut: Ireland? Bad weather? Bah. You'll never see the movie.

Some days we get all four seasons. This morning it was nice and sunny, then at noon it rained. Now it's dull and cold. We never know what to wear outside, weather here is like a lucky bag. Take your pick and hope for the best.

Old 09 September 2012   #71
Watched it yesterday, MUCH better than I exspected. It actually LOOKS awesome, and in a certain sense, its more dense and speedy than the one with Schwarzenegger.
Its not dumb, Colin Ferrell is good in it, the villain is cool and it has twists and little nods to the original. Pretty good scifi popcorn flick ! And the droid and mobile phone designs are badass !

Old 09 September 2012   #72
I also saw it the other day and also quite liked it.
The visuals are amazing, I loved all the city shots and gadgets they had.

The acting was not bad.
I am not a Colin Ferrell fan, but he did a pretty good job in this movie.

The one thing I didn't like as much was the non-stop action.
I know that some people love that, but I enjoy a bit more "quiet time" to get the know the characters and story.

Sometimes I just lost track of how we got "there" in the movie just because it all just felt like one long action shot.

One scifi thingy also really bothered me was how they traveled from one colony to the next. It just seems like the least efficient, most dangerous and expensive way one could travel. I wish they had come up with something better for that.

Overall, definitely worth watching if you love scifi movies, imo.

Old 09 September 2012   #73
Agreed, that was one of the weak points for me, too, looks like they were desperate to create something different from the Mars setting in the old movie, "The Fall" was confusing and just a plot device. The fast pacing though worked for me, as it all was set up to be a speedy movie.
Reminded me of "Lock Out" a few months back.

Old 09 September 2012   #74
I bought the tickets for my girlfriend and me to see it tonight. Recently I managed to watch the old version with Arnie. It was nicely done forthe time, although Arnie just looked like a Bull in a china shop much of the time, clumsily pushing his way around. The supporting cast carried much of that movie in my opinion.
I'll let you know what I think of the Colin Farrell version tomorrow. Just because he is also Irish won't influence my opinion. I'm a very fair person and I hate everyone, can't be any fairer than that.

Old 09 September 2012   #75
I got to see it last night. I quite liked it. As mentioned above, the 'Fall' seemed very odd to me - my first impression was how on earth did they even construct that tunnel, let alone why they would want to. I couldn't understand how it was a seen as a symbol of oppression either.

However, I liked because it wasn't 'daft' like the original was, and the visuals were amazing. My daughter got to enjoy it more because she was totally unaware of the original story.

Nice touch with red headed lady though - that had me for a few seconds.

Thread Closed share thread