CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-03-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
webhead
Expert

TOTAL RECALL is Totally Forgettable Say Reviews

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/total_recall_2010/

"For all of its dazzlingly rendered cityscapes and nonstop action, this revamped "Total Recall" is a bland thing - bloodless, airless, humorless, featureless. With or without the triple-bosomed prostitute."

"Soulless, bombastic and numbingly repetitive..."

"The remake has no grace notes, or grace, no nuance, no humanity, no character quirks, no surprises in the dialogue and no humor ..."

"The fun is fun while it lasts, it just doesn't last long enough."

"Does Total Recall succeed as a movie? Sure. But unfortunately, the movie never quite succeeds as Total Recall."

"You'll want to remember the sci-fi futurescape but forget the plot in this "Recall" reboot."

"Wiseman directs his film as if it's a shark... But really, it's more of a carp, shiny and pretty but fat and dopey, fed on nothing but scavenged leftovers."

"Not as smart as the previous Total Recall, but slicker, sexier, and a lot more energetic."

"Farrell is a bland presence at the center of a surprisingly bland movie."

"Wiseman may lack a bold singular vision, but he tries to make up for it with sheer density, effort and expense."

"This may be Wiseman's best movie yet, yet it's only the second-best Total Recall."

"The new Total Recall fails on the most basic levels: Its characters are dull, and its action is duller."

"I completely lost track of the so-called plot - something about a dystopian dictator and a revolutionary leader, with Farrell as a secret agent somewhere in between, trying to figure out where his true loyalties lie."

Last edited by webhead : 08-03-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:02 AM   #2
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

Why does the URL says 2010 when its content is 2012?

Old 08-03-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

A friend watched it on one of their "special offers" and nearly got himself lobotomized.
Dont f**k with your brain, it aint worth it.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

But does he say, "You have what you want. Give these people air!" ?!
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 08-03-2012, 07:14 AM   #5
Magnus3D
Expert

portfolio
Magnus Rönnkvist
Freelance 3D artist and photographer
Göteborg, Sweden

Send a message via ICQ to Magnus3D Send a message via MSN to Magnus3D Send a message via Yahoo to Magnus3D
No matter how many remakes they do, the original with Arnold is still the best. I'll wait for the VHS release of this movie and then watch it.

/ Magnus

Old 08-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

"Not as smart as the previous Total Recall, but slicker, sexier, and a lot more energetic."

You know, it was foolish for anyone to think it could be as smart as a Verhoeven film. You see, Verhoeven could be smart without anyone knowing he was being smart. He could, thus, get away with things that others would not be able to so subtly slip into their films. People spend so much time talking about his over the top violence that they miss the other stuff.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 08-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
dneg
Lord of the posts
paul franklin
VFX Supervisor
Double Negative VFX
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by teruchan

You know, it was foolish for anyone to think it could be as smart as a Verhoeven film. You see, Verhoeven could be smart without anyone knowing he was being smart. He could, thus, get away with things that others would not be able to so subtly slip into their films. People spend so much time talking about his over the top violence that they miss the other stuff.

What other stuff did we all miss in Showgirls? ;-)

Old 08-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

What is funny about Total Recall is that the critics' score is a really poor 30%, while the audience's rating is pretty decent 74% (3.8/5) score.

So the critics intensely dislike it, but the cinemagoers did like it.

In any case, the new Total Recall is something I'll watch when it comes out on DVD or Bluray.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
LuckyBug
Building worlds

portfolio
Star Lord
DMP Environment Artist
MPC London
London, United%2BKingdom

Well I still respect Verhoeven despite Showgirls, though I still love to watch that movie no matter what
That Dutch God was rare European director that succeeded in Hollywood, most of them failed, and he made lots of watchable blockbusters that still gross money on dvd.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

The most unimaginative and boring actor they could pick.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #11
angel
angel's not here man...

portfolio
Angel Nieves
3D Lead
MTM
Atlanta, USA

Saw it last night. IMHO if the Arnie film didn't exist people wouldn't be so harsh on this film. It was entertaining. What I had a problem with was with some casting choices, I was willing to give Farrell a chance but he just doesn't come across as a bad ass even though he is painted as such throughout the film. Let's just say, for being a badass he surely had problems beating one person in particular. I couldn't get out of my head that the main villain is "Malcom in the middle dad" lol.

Now the visual effects were well done, the cityscapes had me drooling, so much detail. There are however a couple of shots that the attention to the comp didn't get the love it needed. The action in some shots was hard to follow but this was because of direction and not the visual effects artists, there is a rooftop chase sequence that at one point you couldn't find the actors.

Anyway, I think this film is worth checking, specially if you love scifi in general and love scifi environments like I do The designs and visual effects make up for the film's shortcomings.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel
"Malcom in the middle dad" lol.

Watch Breaking Bad. That image is shattered forever.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
angel
angel's not here man...

portfolio
Angel Nieves
3D Lead
MTM
Atlanta, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke
Watch Breaking Bad. That image is shattered forever.

Haven't seen it yet but I will. "Drive" helped

Old 08-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #14
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

I usually wait until I see a movie so I can make up my own mind, I dont let so called experts make my mind up for me. They gave The Thing a hard time but I enjoyed it very much. I had never seen the original Thing with Kurt Russell until after I seen the new version, and I think they both worked very well.

I haven't seen either version of Recall yet, I think my Dad has it on VHS in a box in the attic with all his old tapes, but we dont have a machine to play it on.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by teruchan

Since when was the first film ever considered smart?

I'm just wanting to watch this one for the FX, should be worth it for that. As for critics they gave low grades to the Underworld movies which I enjoyed pretty well

Thread Closed share thread