The Hobbit to be expanded into a trilogy

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #16
Maybe they just shot so much material it would easier to turn it into three films. Why assume they will make stuff up out of whole cloth?
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 08 August 2012   #17
"Why, I feel all thin, sort of stretched, if you know what I mean: like butter that has been scraped over too much bread."

~Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring.

Old 08 August 2012   #18
Originally Posted by thethule: I am a little bit curious as to how he is turning the smallest of the books into a trilogy..

By the power of the all-mighty dollar! This is one of those "Build it .. and They will come" scenarios. Make three of them, and they'll see all three!!
vfxunion.org

Old 08 August 2012   #19
Originally Posted by teruchan: Maybe they just shot so much material it would easier to turn it into three films. Why assume they will make stuff up out of whole cloth?

That´s why the gods of the celluloid invented editing.

It´ss been 20 years since I last read Hobbit but off the top of mny head, it´s not something you couldn´t fit into an hour and a half/2 hour movie.

So, we´ll miss out on two or fifty New Zealand scnnery panoramic shots and 20 minute long farewell scennes.
No biggie.

Old 08 August 2012   #20
Originally Posted by eliseu gouveia: So, we´ll miss out on two or fifty New Zealand scnnery panoramic shots and 20 minute long farewell scennes.
No biggie.

That's not why you go to see his films?
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 08 August 2012   #21
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: "Why, I feel all thin, sort of stretched, if you know what I mean: like butter that has been scraped over too much bread."

~Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring.

That's a great analogy for your posts in this thread. Seriously, did you apply to Weta and get rejected or something?

Also lol at all the people that say the last trilogy is just people walking. So, movies like "The Italian Job" are just 'dudes driving around'?

Personally I am happy it will be a trilogy. Like someone else said, I love Christmas with a Peter Jackson LOTR movie!

Old 08 August 2012   #22
Originally Posted by AndyCGS: That's a great analogy for your posts in this thread. Seriously, did you apply to Weta and get rejected or something?

On the contrary. I applied twice and on both occasions I ended up working for them and having a great time. And on both occasions I left of my own volition, opting not to accept the offered contract extensions.
Frankly I don't see what this has to do with Weta. They are not the problem.

Oh and was yours some underhand attempt at an insult? It's so tenuous I really can't be sure.

Old 08 August 2012   #23
Just make it 10 films, as long as it is done by Peter Jackson, I am sure it will be worthwhile. Call me a fanboy, whatever, I enjoy this kind of stuff. And I will watch it like I played ROTK, until no more Orcs are left : )

Old 08 August 2012   #24
Quote: Also lol at all the people that say the last trilogy is just people walking. So, movies like "The Italian Job" are just 'dudes driving around'?
Miss the point much? Think there's much difference between walking/running get-away scenes and a get-away scene in cars?

Old 08 August 2012   #25
Originally Posted by eliseu gouveia: That´s why the gods of the celluloid invented editing.

It´ss been 20 years since I last read Hobbit but off the top of mny head, it´s not something you couldn´t fit into an hour and a half/2 hour movie.

So, we´ll miss out on two or fifty New Zealand scnnery panoramic shots and 20 minute long farewell scennes.
No biggie.

Agree about the editing. His last movies have been way too long. Arse goes numb and detracts from the movie. He should stick to splatter.

Old 08 August 2012   #26
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: On the contrary. I applied twice and on both occasions I ended up working for them and having a great time. And on both occasions I left of my own volition, opting not to accept the offered contract extensions.
Frankly I don't see what this has to do with Weta. They are not the problem.

Oh and was yours some underhand attempt at an insult? It's so tenuous I really can't be sure.

What roles did you have? I am really curious about how WETA operates it, it looks like they have some sharp and interesting people over there...was that your impression?

Old 08 August 2012   #27
Originally Posted by CKPinson: Miss the point much? Think there's much difference between walking/running get-away scenes and a get-away scene in cars?

Thanks for making my point for me. Big difference between 'driving' and exciting getaway scenes, and big difference between 'walking' and what actually happens in the LOTR movies, which is action packed awesomeness.

Old 08 August 2012   #28
Quote: So, we´ll miss out on two or fifty New Zealand scnnery panoramic shots and 20 minute long farewell scennes.
No biggie.

Noooooo! The extended scenes are the best in the story. Cut the orcs riding wargs and legolas surfing on a shield, that's fine for me, but dont touch the hobbits bits! I could watch a full movie of hobbits being hobbits, smoking pipes and wiggling their toes.

The intro of Fellowship is incredibly confortable (until aragorn arrive).

--

What I worry more is the grotesque bits in The Hobbit. It's a kid book after all... The dwarves can be a tad silly by moment. It would help if Jackson up the maturity of the story a bit.

Old 08 August 2012   #29
Originally Posted by earwax69: The intro of Fellowship is incredibly confortable (until aragorn arrive).

My favorite part of trilogy as well, whenever I remember LOTR that is the first thing that cross my mind.

Old 08 August 2012   #30
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: My favorite part of trilogy as well, whenever I remember LOTR that is the first thing that cross my mind.

Same. I remember going to the opening night of LOTR at the Odeon in L.Square in London and getting a full on shiver from top to bottom when the camera pulls back from Gandalf arriving in the Shire. I knew very little about Tolkien and the Ring books, but at that moment, i knew we were in for an unparallelled treat.

I still think of that first moment every time i watch the films. I don't care if they are not perfect, if they changed the books, whatever. The Ring trilogy is as close to perfection as film making can get in my opinion. To have undertaken such a challenge, to have dedicated so much of his life to them and to have come out with such a grand trilogy is just amazing.

There is documentary on the extended DVD of the return of the king where they are doing pick up shots with Frodo long after the main filming had been done, and Jackson just kept saying "again" "do it again" etc...he just couldn't bring himself to say cut as that was the last shot to be filmed. When he eventually did say cut, he hugged elijah and broke down in tears. It was very moving and to me shows how much he put into the films. Wonderful

Thread Closed share thread