Ouya - Android based, Kickstarter funded Game Console

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #61
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: I'm also curious why Ouya has a cooling fan when other Tegra 3 devices don't have one.

There was some info that the Tegra3 in Ouya might be clocked at 2GHz, which would be pretty high compared to the tablet chips

Edit:
Hree's some reference, i read it somewhere else, but it might be simply a rumor ...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpos...4&postcount=422

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Last edited by spacefrog : 01 January 2013 at 09:01 AM.

Old 01 January 2013   #62
I wonder how effective the fan will be since there are apparently no holes in their devkit to let the air go inside/outside the box.

Old 01 January 2013   #63
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: If you make a game for Ouya (Android-Tegra 3)... It isn't exactly an Ouya game right? Because that same game will run on Tablets running Android with Tegra 3 or higher hardware?

That's my exactly my doubt about it. And if they want to use Android as a selling point or branding, probably will need certification from Google anyway to have Google Play etc, and i didn't see any info about that on the site yet. And tbh after this time i still haven't seen, apart from the gamepad (which are already available for mobile/tablet), the difference of plugging a tablet to the TV via hdmi or what is their overall unique selling point.

The "hackability" of it can be fun for a niche of users, but certainly not something the average joe takes advantage of, or we'd all have Raspberry Pi's or Arduinos at home, and that isn't the case. But again, i hope it suceeds, at least 60k potential customers/backers is a starting point

Old 01 January 2013   #64
Originally Posted by entropymachine: the difference of plugging a tablet to the TV via hdmi or what is their overall unique selling point.

But an important one. The average person doesn't use peripherals on their tablets (controllers and hdmi out), plus most tablets flat out don't have this ability, and no one likes to have a tablet hooked up to anything, after all it's made to be portable.

Let's not forget the pricing is extremely cheap for what you're getting, I don't think any big name tablet is going to match it any time soon.

Old 01 January 2013   #65
These are all very interesting.

I think there's also some Android-based smart tvs out there, so I imagine the market for Android games should broaden substantially.

Old 01 January 2013   #66
Originally Posted by entropymachine: That's my exactly my doubt about it. And if they want to use Android as a selling point or branding, probably will need certification from Google anyway to have Google Play etc, and i didn't see any info about that on the site yet....

They aren't using Google's marketplace, they are making their own. I think the biggest benefit - and problem - is that this thing runs on Android. It means it's a safe bet for developers to make a game for it because it could also be put onto lots of other devices, but at the same time that does lend itself to.... for lack of a better description... crappy casual touch-games being ported and hacking in the controller controls. There will no doubt be a slew of terrible games when this thing is launched as a result.

It's my honest hope that more people will see this as an opportunity for developers to go the opposite direction and make a true console game with a controller being the optimal method of play, and then port their games to touch devices for additional revenue. I mean, if you wanted to make a console game right now you'd have to fork out many thousands of dollars and jump through a great number of hoops before you could ever hope of getting your game on someone's TV. Devices like this are giving opportunity to people such as myself on a limited budget to get games in front of people who prefer to play in their living room (as opposed to on a tablet or PC).

It will certainly be interesting to see how this all shapes up. Even if it's a failure, I think it's an exciting time for anyone interested in game development, we've been at the mercy of the big three for far too long and innovation can only mean more good things to come in the future.

Old 01 January 2013   #67
Nvidia are releasing a similar Android based console too:
http://www.gamesradar.com/project-s...d-game-console/

Ouya, Valve's upcoming console, Gamestick....going to be interesting this year.

Espire 1: My VR Stealth game - CGTalk thread

Old 01 January 2013   #68
Originally Posted by MichaelWBell: Ouya, Valve's upcoming console, Gamestick....going to be interesting this year.

Yes, and Oculus Rift VR as well. Here's pictures of 4 of them:

Old 01 January 2013   #69
Originally Posted by grantmoore3d: Even if it's a failure, I think it's an exciting time for anyone interested in game development

Indeed. With the free availability of know-how, cheaper hardware and with such promising numbers in crowdfunding and delivery/promotion systems like Greenlight etc, in a near future i think the difference in budget and quality between AAA and so called "indy" games will be dimmer and dimmer

Last edited by entropymachine : 01 January 2013 at 01:12 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #70
microsoft and sony has a lot to think of before they unveil their new consoles.

Old 01 January 2013   #71
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot: microsoft and sony has a lot to think of before they unveil their new consoles.

Sony is not a fan of 'thinking'.

Old 01 January 2013   #72
I hope this isn't a repeat of the 80s-90s where every consumer electronics company ever thought they had to get into the games business and released wave after wave of failed consoles. 3DO, Jaguar, TurboGrafx, etc...

Old 01 January 2013   #73
Originally Posted by noouch: I hope this isn't a repeat of the 80s-90s where every consumer electronics company ever thought they had to get into the games business and released wave after wave of failed consoles. 3DO, Jaguar, TurboGrafx, etc...

Sad thing is they where all great systems except for the Jaguar. I remember going look at these dated graphics on this thing,the 3DO came out at too high of a price point with not much software support. The turbografx was a victim of the super nintendo and the sega genesis,nothing was stopping those to systems at the time. Hopefully one of this new wave of consoles can stand alone on the mountain top and get it done with good support and innovative games.

Old 01 January 2013   #74
Originally Posted by noouch: I hope this isn't a repeat of the 80s-90s where every consumer electronics company ever thought they had to get into the games business and released wave after wave of failed consoles. 3DO, Jaguar, TurboGrafx, etc...

It is a bit strange, why now?, why everyone all at once? I dont think the games market is even that big compared to movies.

Either way there is going to be lots of corpses/dead consoles at the end of this. Would be a good idea not to buy any of these at least until a year or longer in.

Old 01 January 2013   #75

What is different now from your 80s/90s example is:

1) All 3 consoles are Android powered/compatible. Any Android game or app will run on them, as well as on millions of other Android phones/tablets.

2) Android gaming is an already established, and growing market.

3) If Android gaming keeps growing at the current rate, or possibly even accelerates with these 3 new consoles, the "Big Boys" of game publishing may also jump into Android development as well.

4) There are cross-platform game development systems like "Unity" now. You can develop on PC, and publish to multiple different platforms, including Android. That didn't exist in your 80s/90s example, and probably contributed to the demise of Jaguar, 3DO, TurboGrafx....

Thread Closed share thread