Ouya - Android based, Kickstarter funded Game Console

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by entropymachine: To me it looks like a media box like dozens others around.

The beauty of OUYA, imho, is:

1) Its very cheap at 99 Dollars

2) Its small, simple, elegant... the size of a Rubik's cube roughly

3) Its fully Android compatible - many Android games/apps will run on it from day one

4) It has a decent amount of RAM - 1GB... And a quad-core Tegra 3 CPU. Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBl-...&feature=relmfu

5) It has gamepad style controllers that look well designed

6) It connects to TVs for fullscreen gaming

7) It is designed to be hackable/moddable from day one... you can connect to OUYA via USB or Bluetoorh... people may eventually be able to run Ubuntu Linux and other cool stuff on it...

8) There is no expensive Developer Kit you need to buy... Every OUYA shipped will include a DevKit free with it

9) They raised a record-breaking 8.6 Million Dollars on Kickstarter. This means that a substantial number of people want a console like OUYA.

All in all, OUYA looks like a potential success story in the making.

I'm probably going to buy one for casual gaming when it hits store shelves...

01 January 2013
Have you guys seen this?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...es-console-ever

In 2 days, reached the $100,000 goal.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by ShadoWarrior85: Have you guys seen this?

Wow, they are at $140,000 already!

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: This is posted already.

Also it is vaporware. If anybody believes this thing has a chance of coming out they are out of touch with reality. The makers of the console are clueless as well. It is not going to be 99$ on release, that is only for the kickstarter preorder price. I would not waste my 100$ on it though because it is never coming out.

How are those words tasting after you ate them? Were they sweet or bitter?

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by ShadoWarrior85: Have you guys seen this?

I hadn't heard of GameStick. Thanks for the heads-up!

The fact that people are pouring money into new (Android) game consoles like OUYA and GameStick confirms that there is a demand in the market for alternatives to the closed-ecosystem corporate consoles like Playstation 3, XBox 360 and Wii U.

This could lead to 2 great things:

1) Android gaming evolves from casual little smartphone/tablet games to something bigger.

2) In response to this growing threat, Sony, MS and Nintendo decide to open up their console ecosystems to developers from all tiers, including 1 - 5 man indy developers.

Seeing this stuff happens makes me optimistic about 2013/14!

01 January 2013
So the gamestick is a game console that plugs right into an HDMI port on your TV, with a wireless controller? It's only a matter of time until this is the standard, as hardware gets smaller and cheaper. No point to have a big clunky console and games on discs pretty soon. I'm sure PC's will go this way eventually too, imagine your PC the size of a thumb drive, plugged into a monitor with a wireless mouse and keyboard.

01 January 2013
To me, console apart, the wow factor is still the amount of money crowdfunding manages to raise

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Decency: So the gamestick is a game console that plugs right into an HDMI port on your TV, with a wireless controller?

Yes I think so. You are probably right about this becoming normal after a whole. All that TV, movies and games stuff is changing. The TV in my bedroom has USB ports that let's me play movies off a USB stick. Anything is possible nowadays.

01 January 2013
I don't know if those projects will be successfull, but sooner or later, some will. And the beautifull thing about all this, is that innovation won't be financed by greedy investors but by ordinary people.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by mustique: I don't know if those projects will be successfull, but sooner or later, some will. And the beautifull thing about all this, is that innovation won't be financed by greedy investors but by ordinary people.

I believe there are a lot of genuine people out there that wish to see a dream become reality and other genuine people who say why not, lets give it a blast

Checking out the kickstarter site is really a nice experience.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by teatimebing: How are those words tasting after you ate them? Were they sweet or bitter?

This post can be re-used hundreds of times in pretty much any tech thread here ever.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by mustique: I don't know if those projects will be successfull, but sooner or later, some will. And the beautifull thing about all this, is that innovation won't be financed by greedy investors but by ordinary people.

+1 for this.

Another way to put it would be "None of this cool stuff would have gotten much or any traditional financing without Kickstarter".

Kickstarter is excellent, I think. It is letting people put their money in what they really want/believe in.

I expect a lot of good stuff to come out of Kickstarter in 2013! Hoorah for "People Power"!

01 January 2013
Looks like I am going to have to back this game stick also.

01 January 2013
The fact that there is competition for the cheap console market with this Gamestick thing makes it an even safer bet for developers. Android can play some pretty powerful games, not sure why everyone just assumes it will just be crappy phone ports. Many people - myself included - are working on original IPs designed for a TV experience because of these kinds of devices, looking forward to seeing how this all unfolds!

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by grantmoore3d: The fact that there is competition for the cheap console market with this Gamestick thing makes it an even safer bet for developers. Android can play some pretty powerful games, not sure why everyone just assumes it will just be crappy phone ports. Many people - myself included - are working on original IPs designed for a TV experience because of these kinds of devices, looking forward to seeing how this all unfolds!

This is something I've been curious about.

If you make a game for Ouya (Android-Tegra 3)... It isn't exactly an Ouya game right? Because that same game will run on Tablets running Android with Tegra 3 or higher hardware?

Of course 99 USD, controller, and large TV could play a role in swaying the consumer's decision on how to experience your game...

I'm also curious why Ouya has a cooling fan when other Tegra 3 devices don't have one. Do you see the possibility that Android consoles will feature hardware higher than what is available for Tablets... thus leading to a hierarchy in the games where some are "Ouya-2 only"?

Thread Closed share thread