Ouya - Android based, Kickstarter funded Game Console

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #31
Definitely some good points Richard. The biggest concern I have with this thing is market size, I'm not confident they will be able to expand beyond the initial 40,000 units. That's a make or break situation and they better have some good marketing plans up their sleeve otherwise very few people will develop for it (exclusively that is, people will still port to it since it's relatively easy).

I agree there is a long history of failure, but there is also a long history of people succeeding where other do not. I'd say at this point, with the limited details we know, they have a 50/50 shot of success. Also, it largely depends on your definition of success... if I get a console in my hands and can make a game that others will play, I personally consider that success.

Old 08 August 2012   #32
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: The main selling point of ouya is that it is "hackable out of the box" oh hell yes I am sure that the devs will loooove developing for a console that has nothing in the way of stopping piracy instead encourages it.

Since the days of 8-bit gaming - that is now over 30 years ago - gamers have more or less been doing the exact same thing:

1) Buy the games that you can afford to buy (usually the "most popular" or "best" games).

2) Copy/pirate the OK-but-not-great games that you either cannot afford to buy, or that don't deserve the amount of money being being asked (<- You may not like to hear this, but young people in their teens and tweens are very much wired to do things this way)

3) Swap/exchange games with your mates that you have either finished or lost interest in.

Things have been like this forever. In the 8-bit C64 days. In the 16-bit Amiga/Atari ST days. In the days of 286/386/486 DOS gaming. In the days of Pentium-and-higher Windows gaming.

This is simply the reality of the game market - this is how ordinary, non-rich people living in the real world interact with games. They buy some games. And many pirate a few on the side.

The fact that Ouya is low-cost, open, Android-based, and that it has no hardware anti-piracy garbage built into it (as far as I know at least) actually makes it a really attractive buy for many people.

Perhaps even more attractive than the more expensive consoles that Nintendo, MS and Sony are putting out there.

This is because most ordinary people are naturally wired to spend their disposable income on the best games, and copy/pirate the lesser games for some casual play here and there.

You may not like hearing this. But this is the way things have always been.

Ouya may turn out to be a flash in the pan. A "nice try but it didn't fly" product.

Or it may sell so many million units that an Ouya 2 may become feasible.

Maybe with a more powerful Tegra 4/5/6 processor this time around, and 2GB of RAM? Who really knows?

Ouya may start its life as a cheapo-competitor to the not-very-powerful hardware of the Wii console.

And then, maybe, it may start to encroach on the monopolistic positions held by Xbox/Playstation consoles when it goes into generation 2, 3 or 4.

Remember that unlike Wii, Xbox 360 or Playstation 3, which are "frozen in time" for years hardware-wise, Android devices keep getting faster & better every few months.

So an Ouya 2 or 3 with seriously faster hardware may follow Ouya 1 after only 1 year or 2.

All this is going to be fascinating to watch.... Will people spend their money on the big corporate consoles (Wii, Xbox, Playstation), or will a significant chunk of people put their money in an open Android console instead?

If the open Android console "wins big" in terms of sales, and proves to be very popular, will Nintendo, MS and Sony open their systems up, too?

Old 08 August 2012   #33
DePaint, you're not really adding to the conversation with wild speculations like that. No offense intended, but it's just going to incite pointless arguments. Let's focus on what is.

Old 08 August 2012   #34
Originally Posted by grantmoore3d: DePaint, you're not really adding to the conversation with wild speculations like that. No offense intended, but it's just going to incite pointless arguments. Let's focus on what is.

I'm trying to analyse the product's potential position in the consumer market + be more optimistic about it's potential success than people who merely comment "this thing will never be produced/this thing will never sell".

If what I've said/typed offends... well... its just my honest opinion... simply ignore it if you don't like it.

Old 08 August 2012   #35
Originally Posted by Artbot: I'll admit that there may be a very small niche group that would use this console, but it goes against everything the market and devs are doing right now. It's simply not profitable for anyone to develop for a market that small, especially in this economy. While many find that "going against the grain" to be an appealing quality, it doesn't often work in the real world.

I'm not a game developer, so my opinion might be very optimistic...but why do you have to develop specifically for Ouya? isn't it android based? Can you just make an android game in the android standard and then port it over to Ouya with minimal effort (probably just controls and a nicer UI). Wouldn't this mean you'll always target the entirety of android devices and never risk all your development purely on ouya?

Old 08 August 2012   #36
Originally Posted by DePaint: I'm trying to analyse the product's potential position in the consumer market + be more optimistic about it's potential success than people who merely comment "this thing will never be produced/this thing will never sell".

If what I've said/typed offends... well... its just my honest opinion... simply ignore it if you don't like it.

No worries, I'd love for a lot of what you wrote to happen and enjoy the optimistic tone. Just, a lot of people get the facts mixed up with optimistic posts like yours and it makes debunking the negative posts even more difficult. Keep up the optimism, I'm right there with ya!

Originally Posted by leif3d: I'm not a game developer, so my opinion might be very optimistic...but why do you have to develop specifically for Ouya? isn't it android based? Can you just make an android game in the android standard and then port it over to Ouya with minimal effort (probably just controls and a nicer UI). Wouldn't this mean you'll always target the entirety of android devices and never risk all your development purely on ouya?

If you're smart about it, yes. However it does come with a price-tag and the biggest argument against the console is that the time put into porting a game, or supporting OUYA exclusively, might not be worth it given the currently limited number of units. To answer that, I honestly think everyone will just have to wait and see and a few developers will have to take the risk. If there's no earning potential for the developers, it will spell doom for the company.

Last edited by grantmoore3d : 08 August 2012 at 07:45 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #37
If they sell it and it gets income, then even if it's pirated, it doesn't matter - they get income from the hardware sells. The problem is that with big consoles like PS and Xbox, what drove sales is it was hacked not immediately, but after some time, so people had to buy hits. Then online came into play, where you want to play and have access to it. It's different with this console. Even if it wasn't as easy hackable from the start, it would happen with time, but it couldn't put something like that against pirates. It won't have hit sellers, and therefore I don't think online will be a major selling factor. It should have a different model. I think what could help is a very easy to use selling (like Steam), and quite cheap games. Also, region-oriented. No sells? Get it even cheaper, for 10 cents, whatever. Find a point when people buy games in that country. 50$ for an American with an average income of 2000-3000$ is the same as 5$ for a Ukrainian (the average salary is 200-300$), whereas 50$ for Ukrainian is like 500$ for American. Of course Ukrainians won't buy at that price (if it's even considered as a market, but it's not. But Steam proved people want to buy and do, when it's as easy and accessible, and cheap).
But realistically, not many care about such countries, as the major income comes from North America and Europe. So whereas all this talk about stopping piracy, they still get huge bags of money despite it. Do you think such games as b-rated no-one knows old adventures don't make income? Think again. I know for a fact people get tens od millions making quite bad games, despite piracy. People still buy them.

Old 08 August 2012   #38
Originally Posted by leif3d: I'm not a game developer, so my opinion might be very optimistic...but why do you have to develop specifically for Ouya? isn't it android based? Can you just make an android game in the android standard and then port it over to Ouya with minimal effort (probably just controls and a nicer UI). Wouldn't this mean you'll always target the entirety of android devices and never risk all your development purely on ouya?

Both Andorid and iOS have sdks and frameworks to help you as a developer get started.

there's also Cocos2d (and 3d) which is a free 2d engine which is incredibly flexible and started out as an iOS graphics engine and then got ported over to java which is what Andorid uses.

Originally Posted by mister3d: <abbrev>

Even if Ouya does make money selling hardware, that's not their value. Their value is achieving a critical mass of consumers who then have the potential to create a snowball effect that draws in an even larger consumer base, drawing in more developers.

They're creating a content platform, and that's why the Kickstarter was so ballsy.

Brilliant. It's not going to be easy for them, but hell, they're doing it.

Last edited by JanosHunyadi : 08 August 2012 at 10:18 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #39
Looks like dev kits have been sent out to donors, so this may not be so vapor-ware-y after all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...d&v=psCoR4zmIpE

I still question the logic of basically porting a screen-less android phone (which is essentially what this is) to a tv with controllers, but they seem legit. For now.

Old 12 December 2012   #40
Just wait till they start getting hit with the patent lawsuits...

Old 12 December 2012   #41
Originally Posted by Artbot: Looks like dev kits have been sent out to donors, so this may not be so vapor-ware-y after all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...d&v=psCoR4zmIpE

I still question the logic of basically porting a screen-less android phone (which is essentially what this is) to a tv with controllers, but they seem legit. For now.

If the interface is any good, it won't matter to the user if it's Android or not. It'll matter to them about as much as it does to Kindle users.

From a developer standpoint - here are some benifits: for every Ouya that is made, the controller will be the same. For every Ouya, the OS will be the same. Carriers won't be involved. Samsung and HTC won't be around to insert their tacky skins or change around the OS.

It'll be the same, for each and every box. With Ouya, there is zero splintering. This is good from an ecosystem point of view. It means less work for devs, and more consistency for users. If a game works on the dev box, it'll work on the consumer box. You won't have to test the game on a dozen different devices. You won't have to design your interfaces to work on a dozen different screen resolutions. You won't have to work around strange bugs introduced by carrier or manufacturer customization. It'll just work.

And that's great. It's like getting in on a real console without having to pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars in licensing to the likes of Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo.

Last edited by trancerobot : 12 December 2012 at 06:08 AM.

Old 12 December 2012   #42
The biggest mistake OUYA did was tell people it runs on Android and the same chipsets you get in phones. I can't fathom why people keep comparing it to mobile devices when it clearly has an entirely different application.

On another note, the dev kit looks solid, much closer to a final product than I was expecting. I'm definitely looking forward to getting my console in March, playing some games and tinkering with developing some myself this upcoming year.

Old 12 December 2012   #43
Ouya has a bright future if indy developers warm to the console, and you can get a lot of cheap, fun games tailored especially for it, in addition to what is already available for Android devices in general.

A couple of cool indy games - maybe some fun 2D platform games a la Mario - and Ouya will likely succeed commercially.

I'm a hardcore PC gamer, but even I am thinking of buying myself an Ouya when it hits store shelves.

The fact that it is small & cheap & uncomplicated & Android compatible makes it an attractive "casual buy" for me...

Good luck to the Ouya gang!

I hope the console doesn't fail commercially, and we can maybe see Ouya II, Ouya III et cetera come out with faster/improved 3D hardware!

Also, if Ouya is successful, then maybe Sony, MS, Nintendo may warm to the idea of creating a more "open" console overall.

There are even options open to them like "software Android emulation".

Android emulation shouldn't be a problem for PS3, Xbox 360 or Wii U. Their processors are fast enough to pull that off.

Old 01 January 2013   #44
Originally Posted by DePaint: Since the days of 8-bit gaming - that is now over 30 years ago

With all due respect.....eat me

Old 01 January 2013   #45
I'd rather get Valve's console tbh. If Ouya is Android based i don't see how it will provide an experience different from just having your phone/tablet connected to the TV in the sense that the games themselves are/will continue be designed for the mobile/tablet market and i don't see game developers including features just for an indy console to encompass the possibilities and opportunities of playing them on a huge screen. To me it looks like a media box like dozens others around. To succeed i think it will need to get the support of some proven software houses and maybe ship with strong titles

Last edited by entropymachine : 01 January 2013 at 10:40 AM.

Thread Closed share thread