DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Ouya - Android based, Kickstarter funded Game Console

I found this really interesting:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...eo-game-console

Its a new open, Android 4.0 based game console that has so far raised 5.78 Million Dollars from 45,100 backers on Kickstarter.

It will be fully compatible with all existing Android tablet/smartphone games from launch.

If all goes well, the Ouya will be available to buy in March 2013, for only 99 Dollars a piece.

Here are the tech specs for it:

• Tegra3 quad-core processor
  • 1GB RAM
  • 8GB of internal flash storage
  • HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
  • WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
  • Bluetooth LE 4.0
  • USB 2.0 (one)
  • Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
  • Android 4.0
  • ETHERNET! (Announced by Muffi 7/18)

Obviously, this isn't a PS3 or Xbox 360 killer hardware-wise.

Rather, it is a cheap, open, anyone-can-develop-for-it Android compatible game console for "the rest of us".

Its going to be interesting to see how well Ouya does in the market.

Last edited by DePaint : 07-30-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

This is posted already.

Also it is vaporware. If anybody believes this thing has a chance of coming out they are out of touch with reality. The makers of the console are clueless as well. It is not going to be 99$ on release, that is only for the kickstarter preorder price. I would not waste my 100$ on it though because it is never coming out.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

I have to agree with Ali on this. Consoles are extremely expensive to manufacture; in fact I've heard that consoles are generally manufactured at a loss, while the profit is made through licensing. This wouldn't apply in this case. The entire project is little more than a pipe dream.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
grantmoore3d
Geek Extraordinaire

portfolio
Grant Moore
Creative Director
ComboMash Entertainment
Vancouver, Canada

While I'm a skeptical backer, I'd suggest doing a bit more research before forming such a concretely negative opinion of the project. I'll admit the ouya team has done a very poor job of marketing and explaining the details behind this thing, but after reading numerous posts (particularly ones where members of the team address these concerns), it's not the disaster everyone makes it out to be.

The biggest misconception people seem to have is that it's competing as either a mobile device or a AAA console. It's neither of those things. It's a cheap hardware console designed for a niche market of people who want to tinker and make games without the large startup costs required for the big 3 consoles.

Also, I would like to ask, what's wrong with people trying to do something new? Even if they fail, isn't it important that people TRY. Without people like these, there would be no innovation.

Last edited by grantmoore3d : 07-30-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
richcz3
esc is key

portfolio
Richard Cabrera
Media Developer
Digital Works
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to richcz3
There's been allot made of the kickstarter presentation video and how it presents its case. In reality, the system has No major publishers backing it. They use screen shots of title that shows Madden, (at 2:08 in the video) when EA isn't supporting it. There's allot of wishful thinking going on there and eager gamers looking for something new may have been taken for a ride.

Keep in mind what Android OS is good at.... Touch Screen. What touch screen games do you want to play on a TV?
Then key in the console being open to hacks. As it stands, Android games suffer high pirating rates. Not sure which major publishers want a platform with such little controls over their games.

Some points made against the backing of Ouya - The Trouble with Ouya

Last edited by richcz3 : 07-30-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
leif3d
Solving 9999 things a day

portfolio
Leif Pedersen
San%2BFrancisco, United%2BStates

On live will be available with ouya, so big games will be playable. That alone is worth it IMHO.
Sad to see all kinds of negativity towards a creative product coming from a creative forum...
Even if it fails there is lots of potential for this console. I hope it makes it.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
BigPixolin
Banned

c none
US

Those specs aren't out the realm of possibility. It is not on par with a AAA console which is basically a computer. Those specs are a cheap phone/tablet with no screen or battery.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
Tamagoo
Frequenter
portfolio
Nerijus
Reseda, United States Minor Outlying Islands

Yah the negativity is kinda depressing. On one point people ask where is all the innovation, and on the other hand they can't stop criticizing. Fine, so it has some major flaws. But nothing that exists today has been done perfectly the first time. Failure is part of progress.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
calilifestyle
Renown Voice of Reason

portfolio
none
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamagoo
Yah the negativity is kinda depressing. On one point people ask where is all the innovation, and on the other hand they can't stop criticizing. Fine, so it has some major flaws. But nothing that exists today has been done perfectly the first time. Failure is part of progress.

This isn't really what one would call innovation. For one Sony is already making the Google TV that plays Android based games.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPixolin
Those specs aren't out the realm of possibility. It is not on par with a AAA console which is basically a computer. Those specs are a cheap phone/tablet with no screen or battery.

Yes. It is basically a Nvidia Tegra 3 based android tablet computer, with no screen and no battery, in a console casing.

And it is aimed mainly at gamers on a budget, but also at small indie developers who cannot afford to publish to Xbox or PS3.

Ouya have also announced that they are partnering with Onlive.

This means that at lauch, Ouya will let you play over 80 major games cloud-based.

And of course all existing Android games + Apps will run on the Ouya.

I don't know if I'll buy one when it is released. But I do think these people are pursuing a worthwhile idea.

Good luck to them!

Old 07-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Agreed, this is basically vaporware. This offers nothing that doesn't already exist in the Android/indie dev community. In fact it seems like nothing more than some attempt to add an unnecessary middleman to the Android dev market. Why would anyone opt for this over their phones or tablets? And why would any dev want another control/display scheme to design for?

Old 07-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
grantmoore3d
Geek Extraordinaire

portfolio
Grant Moore
Creative Director
ComboMash Entertainment
Vancouver, Canada

The OUYA team will be doing a live Q&A on Reddit's AMA subreddit this Wednesday at 10am PST. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how they address some of the criticism being expressed.

https://twitter.com/playouya/status/230014174481235969

Last edited by grantmoore3d : 07-30-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Added the time-zone

Old 07-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #13
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
Why would anyone opt for this over their phones or tablets?

Its a game console for the living room, its cheap, its simple, it hooks up to a 1080 HD TV, its fully Android 4.0 app/game compatible, and it has a well designed, physical game controller attached to it.

If you are a developer, it has the bonus that every Ouya unit comes with a pre-installed SDK for game development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
And why would any dev want another control/display scheme to design for?

If you can squeeze your game UI onto a tiny smartphone screen, or a slightly larger tablet screen, then surely it can't be too hard to make that same UI work on a 32" - 55" TV screen?
You either scale it up. Or you simply reposition it in the top-right or bottom-right corner of the screen or something.

As for the controller, how hard is it for a game developer to remap the few controls a typical Android game has onto the Ouya game controller? For your average Android game, that surely won't take more than a day or two to get accomplished?

Old 07-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
trancerobot
Art Compiler

portfolio
Christian Storay
BIM & VDC Modeler
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
I have to agree with Ali on this. Consoles are extremely expensive to manufacture; in fact I've heard that consoles are generally manufactured at a loss, while the profit is made through licensing. This wouldn't apply in this case. The entire project is little more than a pipe dream.

It couldn't be any worse than a tablet, and we see tablets being sold all over the place at a profit.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #15
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancerobot
It couldn't be any worse than a tablet, and we see tablets being sold all over the place at a profit.

Exactly. If people spend good money on Android phones & tablets - and they do -, why wouldn't they buy an Android console for the living room?

Especially if it doesn't cost much & lets you play your favorite Android games on a 32"- 55" HD TV.

Thread Closed share thread