Its a new open, Android 4.0 based game console that has so far raised 5.78 Million Dollars from 45,100 backers on Kickstarter.
It will be fully compatible with all existing Android tablet/smartphone games from launch.
If all goes well, the Ouya will be available to buy in March 2013, for only 99 Dollars a piece.
Here are the tech specs for it:
- Tegra3 quad-core processor
- 1GB RAM
- 8GB of internal flash storage
- HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
- WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
- Bluetooth LE 4.0
- USB 2.0 (one)
- Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
- Android 4.0
- ETHERNET! (Announced by Muffi 7/18)
Obviously, this isn't a PS3 or Xbox 360 killer hardware-wise.
Rather, it is a cheap, open, anyone-can-develop-for-it Android compatible game console for "the rest of us".
Its going to be interesting to see how well Ouya does in the market.