Free HDRI -Large and dynamic in light and color-

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2012   #1
Free HDRI -Large and dynamic in light and color-

I did read the forum rules so please forgive me if im wrong but I felt free HDRI was not a promotional "look at my site". Im just telling you where to get some really large HDRI for free.

4 free LARGE HDR images up already on the site. All of them are taken using my fish eye lens and the 5D Mark II so the resolution is really nice. I hope you like them. Please let me know if you like them and i will load more. I did touch on the topic during a Digital tutors tutorial i made last year so here are some of the first ones im giving away free.
http://kungfujackrabbit.com/2012/fr...arry_lewis.html

Please let me know if you like them it really does make me feel good and then i am inspired to make more

Last edited by Kungfujackrabbit : 07 July 2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: link auto added the http so i needed to fix it.

Old 07 July 2012   #2
Thank you, these are very nice.

The fish eye lens looks great here. Are you basically bracketing your photos and turning the camera some degrees between shots and then stitching them together later? Or does it somehow capture all this at once? (Seems like we'd see you in the image if so.)

Been hearing a lot of good things about the fish eye method and just haven't had the time to investigate. Good pixel clarity in these, so thanks again.

Old 07 July 2012   #3
24-bit, fisheye lenses are great for HDR, especially if you have a tripod that can rotate around the sensor of the camera instead of the attachment point. We usually take about 6-8 stops at 3 different angles (so 120 deg) and that covers your whole 360 degrees.

Old 07 July 2012   #4
They are actually really nice, thanks a lot for these.

Old 07 July 2012   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by japetus
24-bit, fisheye lenses are great for HDR, especially if you have a tripod that can rotate around the sensor of the camera instead of the attachment point. We usually take about 6-8 stops at 3 different angles (so 120 deg) and that covers your whole 360 degrees.

Very cool. I need to start saving up for one of these. Thanks for the information.

Old 07 July 2012   #6
Nice! Thank you so much!

Old 07 July 2012   #7
Thanks for the kind comments

Your all very welcome. I really enjoy making these types of images for lighting so I hope you enjoy.
-Garry - / - kungfujackrabbit

Old 07 July 2012   #8
Questions/ technique

Im actually not bracketing just due to the lack of range in brackets. I like having the freedom to go 3 stops or 6 or 8 depending on the environment. Indoor versus outdoor can be a very harsh transition.

The fisheye works great and although its capturing 170+ degrees I still take images turning 90 degrees each time. I then stitch them and combine the exposures. Then there is some painting by hand as well. For example the handicap symbol image you see displayed on the ground was pretty muddy and scrambled near the bottom of the images. And since it was in San Francisco I didnt want to wait for my next visit there to fix it. So photoshop to the rescue!

Old 09 September 2012   #9
Just had a chance to test these, very impressed! Thanks for sharing!

N

Old 09 September 2012   #10
Thank you

Thanks I am glad you could use them. I added two more in there of cloudy time just before a storm.
My buddy and I just started this business www.vfxmill.net which has alot of full scenes that can be used for doing previs shots or just making a scene for your personal portfolio.

Also going to be adding a ton more sets from a trip i had recently. Please check back very soon as

I'll be giving away a full VFX scene including .....
HDRI
Textures
RED video footage (to comp into)

Pretty much everything you need to take that scene and make a pro shot.

Last edited by Kungfujackrabbit : 09 September 2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 09 September 2012   #11
WOW- tested with it= very nice! Added to FAVS! What camera do you use? Just got a 60D and loving it! Been renting lens from a website and its been going good

Old 09 September 2012   #12
Lens

Hi CKPinson
Im using the 5D MkII with a pelang lens. I love to quality might look into the MKIII or the 7D depending on what video quality it produces.

Thanks for the add.

I plan to upload that new scene within the next week. The quality on this new one so far seems to be leap frogging my previous ones. So im pretty excited at the moment.

Old 09 September 2012   #13
Link is broken or your server is down.

Old 09 September 2012   #14
Unfortunatly Godaddy failed me earlier today Back up now!

Im really sorry, but my site was one of the GoDaddy servers that went down today.

Its all back up again though. I apologize for the issue.
Here is a fresh link!
http://kungfujackrabbit.com/2012/fr...arry_lewis.html

And as back up all my free stuff is now hosted at the VFX MILL here:
http://www.vfxmill.net/vfxmill_freestuff.html

So totally different company and servers that VFX MILL is on so its a little less likely it will ever be down at the same time again...

Old 09 September 2012   #15
Thanks a lot. These look great!

Thread Closed share thread