Cloud Atlas Trailer...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: I think that's more down to bad marketing.

The 59% Fresh rating over at Rotten Tomatoes doesn't help either.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by redbellpeppers: The 59% Fresh rating over at Rotten Tomatoes doesn't help either.

All the Resident Evil movies have received an average of 20%, yet they make 10 times as much. marketing and explosions help.

10 October 2012
Having read the book, I liked the movie. Though it is different and much is missing. They jump around a lot more in the movie but that is so the masses can follow a very complicated set of stories. Not as deep of character development and the voice-overs kinda got heavy handed sometimes. That, I think, is down to wanting to get some of the real gems from the book in there.
It's kinda like Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. The book is so awesome because of the writing, but most of it wasn't dialogue, which movies tend to thrive on.
But the three hours went by pretty fast. So not a triumph, nor disaster.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by leif3d: All the Resident Evil movies have received an average of 20%, yet they make 10 times as much. marketing and explosions help.

...and International Release... which is the same thing Cloud Atlas is hoping for.

The RE films have another thing going for them, their budget is way smaller than a film like Cloud Atlas.

10 October 2012
Anyone seen Cloud Atlas yet?

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by fablefox: Laser doesn't work well on sands. Laser works by heating things up. But sands doesn't explode, they melt into glass. And sands are not actually heat transferring material (unlike metal).

Haven't see the movie yet. Just my 2 cent regarding laser and sand.

(as far as I remember about reading on lasers).

Ok, put that research down OK?

In Movieworld, THESE ARE LASERS. And there's no problems using them anywhere.. In sand, sky, even in the vacuum of space.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by japetus: Anyone seen Cloud Atlas yet?

I've seen it twice already. I liked it the first time. Loved it the second time. I never read the book so I can't comment on the differences, but for me - it really touched me. The music, visuals, and dialogue were just beautiful - poetic in an epic way. A lot of critics called it pretentious and all over the place, but I didn't feel any of those things. It helps that I have a soft spot for korean girls - so the whole somni 451 story was interesting to me in a personal manner.

As far as acting is concerned - it was top notch. Ben Whishaw and Jim Broadbent stole the show for me. And obviously tom hanks did amazing as usual.

Only complaint I have: I wish they expanded on the post apocalyptic setting in Hawaii. At times it's confusing whats going on and why.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by smibrand: I've seen it twice already. I liked it the first time. Loved it the second time. I never read the book so I can't comment on the differences, but for me - it really touched me. The music, visuals, and dialogue were just beautiful - poetic in an epic way. A lot of critics called it pretentious and all over the place, but I didn't feel any of those things. It helps that I have a soft spot for korean girls - so the whole somni 451 story was interesting to me in a personal manner.

As far as acting is concerned - it was top notch. Ben Whishaw and Jim Broadbent stole the show for me. And obviously tom hanks did amazing as usual.

Only complaint I have: I wish they expanded on the post apocalyptic setting in Hawaii. At times it's confusing whats going on and why.

sounds promising... Ben Whishaw is phenomenal and never disappoints so I'm not surprised there... can't wait now!

11 November 2012
Hmmm.. I hope it's as good as the book, I've read it a couple of times and it deals with its issues very subtely and with a great narrative style through out. Hope they did a good job!

numbernine dream and blackswan green pretty good too

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by lightcache: Hmmm.. I hope it's as good as the book, I've read it a couple of times and it deals with its issues very subtely and with a great narrative style through out. Hope they did a good job!

numbernine dream and blackswan green pretty good too

I've read the book too and it's not as good. The character development just isn't as good. But it is still a decent film.

11 November 2012
The reason it did poor in the movies is because no one wants to pay $10.00 a ticket. At least down here in texas any ways. There are tons of movies i want to watch but waiting for them to come to red box for $1.08 and not $10.00+gas

I mean even the kick ass movies i would rather watch in my own house away from people and high Ticket prices.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by isxaari: The reason it did poor in the movies is because no one wants to pay $10.00 a ticket. At least down here in texas any ways. There are tons of movies i want to watch but waiting for them to come to red box for $1.08 and not $10.00+gas

Except plenty of people are still watching other movies in theaters. Overall box office returns are fine.

11 November 2012
What a wasted opportunity! Where's good old webhead when we need him? The title of this thread should be CLOUD ATLAS: The reviews are all over the map!

11 November 2012
The trailer certainly make this look like an interesting film.

11 November 2012
Nice article on fxguide about Cloud Atlas vfx.

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/clo...s/#southpacific

Thread Closed share thread