Cloud Atlas Trailer...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2012
Red face

everything IS something. this is a story about the spiderwebs of our destinys. the concept is like ..they fire electrons at a metal plate. it takes a single trajectory to the plate, but scientists know the elecetron takes every single path to the plate, in everysingle direction at the same time. billions of paths and trajectories in a split second, why? because all the paths exist and can be taken. and this is how it works for everything. includiing humans ascension in higher learning.

It is a story about finding the basic core element through the myriad of ones that have tricked us into wars and interacial myths Love and hate. that is it. faith, hope, giving up, gluttony,greed, desire, jealousy. these are all biproducts and perversions of love and hate. love is timeless amd its reaches are like gravity, through the time, as love is timeless and carries not the weight of a deadline, or the right chane to say im sorry.people die and we are left looking into the abyss. a profound moment in ones growth. it strips people of the skin they cling onto and they open to new trajectories. what an amzing gift to know you have nothiNg and have lost your grasp on loved ones,.when in reality,the world is only a vessel for you to make your own world.

God- "nietzsche is dead"

07 July 2012
That's looking seriously epic although how they are going to be able to tell a story in the middle of all that I don't know! After the sting of Dark Knight rises doubt I will shell out 25 quid for a cinema trip again any time soon.

www.willelliott.co.uk

Polycount Checker Max script

07 July 2012
I have mixed feelings. If it wouldn't be credited so solidly, I wouldn't keep my hopes high. The trailer ruins it to me, as it doesn't have any climax and generally has strange pace. We will see.

07 July 2012
I have many friends who worked onset for this film and I have not heard more excitement amongst a crew that they were making a truly special movie since LOTR.

That is why I am excited, us film folk don't often get excited about shows we are on

10 October 2012
Very weak opening for Cloud Atlas, only 9 milion dollars on box office :/

10 October 2012
Watched it this weekend. IT is a magnificant efort. the makeup effects is soooo good. it's very convincing and didnt take me out of the movie. The story is also well woven although on first viewing i wasn't able to get the whole story. The vfx is really great and the concepts quite consistent and believable.

Tom hanks and Halle Berry really carry the movie on their shoulders and they are really good. I mean i actually mistook Tom Hanks for Channing Tatum in the poster doind the rounds!!. He's really good as the gladiator look alike.

Overall, really great effort on all fronts. It's one of those movie one needs to watch alone in a quite room.

Can't say if i liked it or was bored by it's 3hr runtime!! but i'd say that i didn't hate it. Which is more than i can say for many recent releases.

Would like to read the book, for the narration is one of the highlights in this humungous celluloid effort.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: Very weak opening for Cloud Atlas, only 9 milion dollars on box office :/

I think that's more down to bad marketing.

I don't think they ever ran a trailer that helped hint at a common thing in all the "eras" presented. Even just ONE hint would have probably helped.

As it is though, Roger Ebert claims he's seen it three times and still doesn't quite get all of it.

I think it's possible Cloud Atlas intimidated many viewers. Mind you, Inception was also sort of "intimidating" for viewers because it was clear from the director and from the promo that viewers will be challenged intellectually by it, but Inception's campaign was larger and also clearer in what the "main thing" is about.

In my previous post in this thread, I mentioned a lot about "simplifying". Which I think the people who like "Cloud Atlas" as is... they will say that's not the way forward.

But at the very least, I think the Marketing could have made it seem simpler... but alas we are now at the opening weekend - The proverbial Point of No Return.

10 October 2012
I saw it and really liked it. The film didn't have a traditional narrative, but the overall themes were clear and extremely well executed. For me the main themes were freedom, love and sacrifice. The film was spectacular in conveying this.

Practical effects and makeup were hit and miss. When it missed it took you out of the story, which is never good.
As far as CG, it was really great for the most part, but had its weak moments too. Creative vision (originality) was high for the most part.
I didn't get to see it in IMAX because the showtimes were a little strict, 8pm or 12am...I guess it's bound to happen with a 3 hour movie and a single IMAX screen.

There were no waiting lines to speak of and the theater was half empty. Too bad, the film had incredibly strong emotional moments with excellent acting by some.

Overall better than most films this year IMO.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: Very weak opening for Cloud Atlas, only 9 milion dollars on box office :/

Maybe because people can't get a fking clue of what's the movie about? I for one first thought it's a compilation of some sort.

10 October 2012
That was definitely something the Box Office analysts are pointing out:

Originally Posted by Ray Subers, Box Office Mojo: This is a disappointing, but not surprising, opening for Cloud Atlas. With six thinly-connected stories set in different time periods, the marketing was never able to convey an actual story, which is the most fundamental part of selling a movie. The insane runtime (164 minutes) was also likely a deterrent for casual moviegoers, while the middling reviews (62 percent on Rotten Tomatoes) weren't good enough to convince cinephiles to check it out. The movie could save some face overseas, where its strong visuals and internationally recognizable cast will help a lot, but it's still going to be a long road to profitability for this $100 million epic.

10 October 2012
saw it...i thought it was too scattered...the futuristic part was cool, everything else just didn't work for me. it tries too hard at everything...comedy, drama, action, romance, suspense but doesn't deliver.

example...imagine a futuristic world with laser guns and hover bikes, and then you setup camp using sandbags. why sandbags? no futuristic laser proof vests/shields? idk.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by ragdoll: saw it...i thought it was too scattered...the futuristic part was cool, everything else just didn't work for me. it tries too hard at everything...comedy, drama, action, romance, suspense but doesn't deliver.

example...imagine a futuristic world with laser guns and hover bikes, and then you setup camp using sandbags. why sandbags? no futuristic laser proof vests/shields? idk.

Laser doesn't work well on sands. Laser works by heating things up. But sands doesn't explode, they melt into glass. And sands are not actually heat transferring material (unlike metal).

Haven't see the movie yet. Just my 2 cent regarding laser and sand.

(as far as I remember about reading on lasers).

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by ragdoll: example...imagine a futuristic world with laser guns and hover bikes, and then you setup camp using sandbags. why sandbags? no futuristic laser proof vests/shields? idk.

sandbag should be really good against lasers because the sand will scatter the laserbeam alot. like a bolt which penetrates sand on the ground.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by Kzin: sandbag should be really good against lasers because the sand will scatter the laserbeam alot. like a bolt which penetrates sand on the ground.

Originally Posted by fablefox: Laser doesn't work well on sands. Laser works by heating things up. But sands doesn't explode, they melt into glass. And sands are not actually heat transferring material (unlike metal).

Haven't see the movie yet. Just my 2 cent regarding laser and sand.

(as far as I remember about reading on lasers).

Spoiler: Lasers win.

10 October 2012
I'm not quite sure what I just watched, but I'm intrigued!

Thread Closed share thread