Cloud Atlas Trailer...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2012   #1
Cloud Atlas Trailer...

WOW fantastic trailer
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57262
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 07 July 2012   #2
looks awesome!

Old 07 July 2012   #3
Definitely different than anything out these days. Takes a five minute trailer to explain the concept behind the story. A lot going on, and very heady ... not sure how this will go over with the general viewing public. It's intelligent ...
www.perryshulakcreative.com

Old 07 July 2012   #4
I get 4 minutes in and that stupid, crummy player stalls, won't load the rest. UGH!

Never heard of this story before. At first it looked scattershot random (like Suckerpunch) but it could be very cool. I'll definitely check this out one.

Old 07 July 2012   #5
Worth reading first definitely. Really did conjure some incredible images in my head reading this, the film has a lot to live up to.

Old 07 July 2012   #6
Looks interesting. I hope the film holds together well...

Old 07 July 2012   #7
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/cloudatlas/

HD trailer

Old 07 July 2012   #8
What the hell is going on? It looks like a "this year in movies" montage.

Old 07 July 2012   #9
Looks fascinating. Hope it's not the mess it appears in the trailer.

I haven't seen it, but didn't The Fountain cover similar territory (not to mention Time After Time)?

Old 07 July 2012   #10
I'm not too excited by this trailer.

This movie reminds me of the Fountain because of how ambitious it looks. I haven't read the book, but it looks like they are trying to cram the meaning of life, the space time continuum, religion, love, sci-fi, fantasy, visual effects, and drama all into one mega film. They are destined to fail imo.

I think good movies need to be about about something (a wrestler, a ballerina, a superhero, a pirate, etc...), but this movie looks like it wants to be about everything.
Linkedin
"You do modeling? ...but you're too ugly."

Last edited by razorbjc : 07 July 2012 at 08:52 PM.

Old 07 July 2012   #11
Given the mess that Fountain was, this looks surprisingly lucid, for all its big visual flair. The stories in each era seem to be very straightforward, if you stop trying to stitch it all together, and actually got a pretty good sense of the throughline even from this.

Big fan of Tykwer, hopefully this will be a good balance between them, the Wachowskis seem to have lost their storytelling chops long ago.

I am definitely going to read the book first, just because it's been on my to-read list for a long time now, and might be good to go in forearmed. Though it's tempting to hit the movie cold and see something completely new.

P.S. Also glad that the "international trailer" is THE trailer, I hate it when there are dozens of regional cuts, and some better than others.

Old 07 July 2012   #12
I'm not blown away with the trailer, seems like a mess, but will definitely watch it.

Old 07 July 2012   #13
Agreed Roberto. Looks really interesting to me.

Classic potential?

Old 07 July 2012   #14
Looks Awesome

Old 07 July 2012   #15
Originally Posted by hypercube: Given the mess that Fountain was, this looks surprisingly lucid, for all its big visual flair. The stories in each era seem to be very straightforward, if you stop trying to stitch it all together, and actually got a pretty good sense of the throughline even from this.

Big fan of Tykwer, hopefully this will be a good balance between them, the Wachowskis seem to have lost their storytelling chops long ago.

I am definitely going to read the book first, just because it's been on my to-read list for a long time now, and might be good to go in forearmed. Though it's tempting to hit the movie cold and see something completely new.

P.S. Also glad that the "international trailer" is THE trailer, I hate it when there are dozens of regional cuts, and some better than others.

Actually the story in each "era" looks like a similar story - Love Story Against the Odds.
That's probably a good strategy to make it workable even if they keep jumping time/dimensions.

They'll probably have a couple of threads linking the eras vertically to each other. But if they're smart the structure should be simple or the film will cause headaches.

Even with that as the main situation... I still felt like it was many movies put together.... like Cast-away cut into Tron cut into Highlander cut into Ultraviolet cut into....

Thread Closed share thread