First trailer for Ang Lee's "Life of Pi"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
I've read the book long time ago when it first came out. I remember much of the general survival story but cannot remember any "religious" analogy at all. Can someone refresh my memory with some exemples (under spoilers tags of course) please?!

11 November 2012
Answer in spoiler tags. it's been a while since I read the book so I may have mixed up some details, but the gist of it is correct (as I remember it)...

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
Right at the end of the book Pi is being interviewed by the police (so the rest of the book is shown to be his recollection of events). The policeman tells him that none of what he just said was true. There was no tiger, orangutan or zebra, they were actually other passengers from the boat (The zebra was the cook and the orangutan was his mother I think?). He just imagined the whole animals version of the story. Pi rejects the policeman's version of events and says he'd rather believe his own version.

The question that's left hanging is therefore, given two different versions of events, one fantastical and one cold and depressing, with no way to objectively choose between them (although one of them is obviously far more likely), which one would you choose to believe?

It's an interesting allegory for belief in god, and one that made me stop and think for a while. Nothing else has ever made me think about it like that, which is why I enjoyed the book so much.

You can have your characters photoreal, fast or cheap. Pick two.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by playmesumch00ns: Answer in spoiler tags. it's been a while since I read the book so I may have mixed up some details, but the gist of it is correct (as I remember it)...

I wonder how all this is going to translate into the movie. All in all, it looks like it's going to be a pretty interesting visual experience. Although at some points in the trailer it did seem a little too surreal. Just my opinion.

11 November 2012
Thanks playmesumch00ns! I did not remember it at all. I only remember some vague japanese men at the end.

11 November 2012
I got to go to a crew screening last week and I will say some of it tips toward the surreal, but still in a possible or at least plausible way, IMO. Kind of in the way some nature shows of real places and things end up looking a little impossible. Just some gorgeous stuff.

R&H's Richard Parker is also for the most part very excellent, and the 3D is totally worth it, especially the above/below water stuff, lots went into making that work well.

Of course they couldn't get everything from the book in there, but the themes and thoughts it leaves you with are intact, I feel. Will be interested to see what everyone else thinks.

11 November 2012
Now that I think of it, it's coming back to me...
[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
However at the time I though that the boy knew what had happen and even incredible, his story was true. That the men at the end just could not believe it and tried to find more plausible versions. I mean, a 5-6 years old boy could imagine stuff but the dude is 16 and in a zoo boat full of animals..! I'm not sure what to think now... Clearly if it were men on the boat, they would have eaten the boy just after the mother. Anyway, I am talking without the facts here as I cannot remember much...

11 November 2012
I got to talk with Mr. Lee about it awhile back -- the piece is in the new ICG mag, the one with LINCOLN on the cover -- and he comes across as being the most decent person I've ever interviewed. It took a couple tries to get him hooked on doing the film, they had some very interesting talent involved before him, including Cuaron and the ALIEN 4 guy. He has a lot of respect for the book.

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS

11 November 2012
Quote: the ALIEN 4 guy

Oh come on... Jean-Pierre Jeunet is NOT the Alien 4 guy. He is the Delicatessen, Amelie and City of Lost Children guy. A genius really - that is to say, when not working for hollywood.

Here what he had to say about it;
The story of ‘The Life of Pi’ or how I lost two years of my professionnal life
http://www.jpjeunet.com/GB/life-of-pi/

They might have kept part of his script and left his name in the credits...

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by earwax69: Oh come on... Jean-Pierre Jeunet is NOT the Alien 4 guy. He is the Delicatessen, Amelie and City of Lost Children guy. A genius really - that is to say, when not working for hollywood.

Here what he had to say about it;
The story of ‘The Life of Pi’ or how I lost two years of my professionnal life
http://www.jpjeunet.com/GB/life-of-pi/

They might have kept part of his script and left his name in the credits...

No disrespect intended with Alien 4 - I had just rewatched it that morning and that just came to mind. Also, I don't detest the movie like most people do -- in fact, I think of it as FIRFLY take one in a lot of ways, and think their take on the aliens is pretty good.

I interviewed the novelist as well as the director, and Martel said Jean-Pierre's script was more of a departure from the book, but that wasn't unexpected ... in face he was very surprised that Lee could hew so closely.

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS

11 November 2012
Thumbs up

Just came back from the screening and what a gobsmackingly amazing experience it was! It was evident how painstakingly each frame must have been created by Ang Lee and his team so hats off to everyone involved. Suraj Sharma in the lead role is definitely a find and someone to watch out for.

I'm going to remember this one for a long long time.

11 November 2012
Who did the effects work for this movie. Was it R&H?

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by puch: Who did the effects work for this movie. Was it R&H?

As easy as......

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by Artbot: As easy as......
That only seems to return Rhythm & Hues as a major result but a little imdb digging also lists

Legacy Effects
Lola VFX
Buf
MPC
Crazy Horse Effects

With pre-vis by Halon & Minimo VFX

11 November 2012
Saw it opening day. Gorgeous and moving.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by AJ: That only seems to return Rhythm & Hues as a major result but a little imdb digging also lists

Legacy Effects
Lola VFX
Buf
MPC
Crazy Horse Effects

With pre-vis by Halon & Minimo VFX

Rhythm and Hues were the main along with MPC.
This is copied from the fxguide article that is very spoiler ridden

- Buf, responsible for the tiger vision sequence where Richard Parker peers down and sees a squid and whale attack that then becomes a stylistic move through various fish, plankton and even a ‘galactic’ view of Pi’s mother.
- Crazy Horse Effects, which handled matte painting and period work.
- Look Effects, completing composites especially in the ship’s cargo hold.
- Christov Effects, which worked on a comic book inspired shot.
- Lola VFX, using its expertise in body manipulation to emaciate Pi for scenes in which the end looks nigh for him and Richard Parker.
- yU+co, who created several stereo montages and dissolve elements.
- An in-house compositor, and additional stereo work by Reliance Mediaworks and Stereo D.

Thread Closed share thread