First trailer for Ang Lee's "Life of Pi"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2012   #16
If everything but the boy is digital then I am impressed. I do see some green in his hair in spots though. Still, this has to be the best I have seen as far as animals are concerned. It seems there will not be much dialogue in this film.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 07 July 2012   #17
Originally Posted by squidinc: approximately

Big lulz.

'_____________'

Old 08 August 2012   #18
Originally Posted by Lunatique: Ang Lee is one of the best directors out there when it comes to subtext and human drama. I can see why they hired him to direct this adaptation. I can't wait to see this. I just started reading the book not long ago, but have been too busy to continue with any kind of sustained reading recently. Now I wonder if I should read the book or watch the movie first.

There must be another Ang Lee I don't know of then, one other than the Ang Lee that directed the first Hulk, Crouching Tiger and so on.

I would be hugely excited if this was being directed by anybody else, given it's Lee, I'm now mildly concerned that a rather unique and interesting book of modern years is being given to someone who has a track record of doing barely alright when locked in into a script and having producers and actors helping him, and a parallel track record of brutalising every adaptation he's been given a shot at.

Why couldn't it be Fincher or Nolan?! WHY?!

Old 08 August 2012   #19
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: There must be another Ang Lee I don't know of then, one other than the Ang Lee that directed the first Hulk, Crouching Tiger and so on.

I would be hugely excited if this was being directed by anybody else, given it's Lee, I'm now mildly concerned that a rather unique and interesting book of modern years is being given to someone who has a track record of doing barely alright when locked in into a script and having producers and actors helping him, and a parallel track record of brutalising every adaptation he's been given a shot at.

Why couldn't it be Fincher or Nolan?! WHY?!

How many of his other films have you actually seen, or seen at an age when you were old enough to appreciate the emotional subtext of the story (meaning you saw them as a mature adult, not when you were still a kid/teenager)? (Sorry, I don't remember how old you are--you might be older than I think you are. And this isn't meant to be condescending in any way--just that some of his movies are quite old, and often we see movies when we were younger and couldn't understand/appreciate them, but later as adults saw things in them we couldn't have appreciated before.)

Lust Caution
Brokeback Mountain
The Ice Storm
Ride with the Devil
Senses and Sensibility
Eat Man, Drink Woman
The Wedding Banquet
Taking Woodstock
Pushing Hands

And all of these other films aren't in the action/adventure genre, and are generally much better films than his only two action/adventure films (Hulk, CTHD).

Ang Lee was never an action/adventure director--he's always been about human drama and emotional subtext.

Neither Nolan or Fincher have the emotional sensitivity of Lee, although they are both better action/thriller directors.

Last edited by Lunatique : 08 August 2012 at 04:27 AM.

Old 08 August 2012   #20
I've seen a handful of those in my late twenties and early thirties, and still find him overrated in general, and downright awful when it comes to adaptations.

When he has a budget he does ok at best if kept in check by studios, particularly on the visual front (brokeback mountain), and when the material fits what he's good at dealing with, but historically he's a horrible visual director (and this is a visually involved movie) and he's never quite managed to work well in adaptations, is known to be a really bad communicator, and to feel quite challenged when it comes to understanding Western storytelling and Western interpretation or presentation of Eastern cultures.

Everything that is bad in his bigger budget movies was all stuff he adamantly insisted in making the way it is, against every grain that was brushed on him.

Life of Pi, IMO, is definitely NOT what I'd pick him for, or what I'd pick for him.
Go read the whole book and talk to somebody who actually worked with him, you might come out with a different perspective on this, or maybe not

Old 08 August 2012   #21
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: I've seen a handful of those in my late twenties and early thirties, and still find him overrated in general, and downright awful when it comes to adaptations.

When he has a budget he does ok at best if kept in check by studios, particularly on the visual front (brokeback mountain), and when the material fits what he's good at dealing with, but historically he's a horrible visual director (and this is a visually involved movie) and he's never quite managed to work well in adaptations, is known to be a really bad communicator, and to feel quite challenged when it comes to understanding Western storytelling and Western interpretation or presentation of Eastern cultures.

Everything that is bad in his bigger budget movies was all stuff he adamantly insisted in making the way it is, against every grain that was brushed on him.

Life of Pi, IMO, is definitely NOT what I'd pick him for, or what I'd pick for him.
Go read the whole book and talk to somebody who actually worked with him, you might come out with a different perspective on this, or maybe not

Maybe it's a different crowd? The indie/drama/sensitive crowd and actors love him, while the action/VFX crowd seems to not think very highly of him. I personally don't think too much of him in terms of action/visuals either, but I think he's an excellent director of drama.

I read the book he wrote on his film directing career (only available in Chinese), and he's surprisingly deep, thoughtful, observant, and he has such sensitivity for emotions and drama, as well as very good with actors. He really is at heart an actor's director, and not much of an action/VFX type of director.

I might not finish reading the book before watching the movie. Based on my past experiences, reading the book first usually spoils the movie, while the reverse isn't as true. Since I just started the book (literally right before learning there was a movie coming out for it), I can quit now and not have spoiled anything for the movie.

Old 08 August 2012   #22
Reading the book first doesn't always spoil the movie! Didn't you see "I am Number Four"?! Okay just kidding... I must admit I am happy to have read the Dan Brown books after the movies with Tom Hanks. I like the movies, but they can't come close to the books.

Originally Posted by Artbot: Big lulz.

'_____________'

What's wrong with long movies?! I hate movies that feel rushed or end before their time. Maybe because I watch more movie in home and am not in some rush to get out of an uncomfortable cinema, but I love long movies. The outrageously long versions of all of Peter Jackson's films are much better than the theatrical versions in my opinion. I can't tell you how many movies I left thinking, "I wish they spent more time on that part, or that character."

Now, if it is 3 hours of a kid on a boat with no dialogue, that might be hard to pull off, but this looks like something I would be glad to sit back, relax and enjoy the long ride.

Then again, maybe that's why I like TV series better.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 08 August 2012   #23
Originally Posted by teruchan: What's wrong with long movies?! I hate movies that feel rushed or end before their time. Maybe because I watch more movie in home and am not in some rush to get out of an uncomfortable cinema, but I love long movies. The outrageously long versions of all of Peter Jackson's films are much better than the theatrical versions in my opinion. I can't tell you how many movies I left thinking, "I wish they spent more time on that part, or that character."

Now, if it is 3 hours of a kid on a boat with no dialogue, that might be hard to pull off, but this looks like something I would be glad to sit back, relax and enjoy the long ride.

Then again, maybe that's why I like TV series better.

You tell 'em, my brother from a different mother! (We think alike in many ways it's kind of scary)

Old 08 August 2012   #24
Originally Posted by teruchan: What's wrong with long movies?!
*Wooooooooosh!*

Old 08 August 2012   #25
What's wrong with Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon?! I love that movie...
I didn't like the trailer too much, I feel it looks too artificial (Flashbacks of hulk: "it needs more green!") I feel this movie is better suited for a director that understand subtleties such as Kar Wai Wong.

Old 08 August 2012   #26
I am hearing of this for the first time in my life but the trailer just didn't get to me. Not going to try it with 3h of my life.

Old 08 August 2012   #27
Originally Posted by leif3d: I feel this movie is better suited for a director that understand subtleties such as Kar Wai Wong.

As much as I like him, he's probably too arthouse/abstract for the average audience.

Old 08 August 2012   #28
Originally Posted by teruchan: Still, this has to be the best I have seen as far as animals are concerned.

Really? I found it quite weak in certain shots... The lion in the first Chronicles of Narnia looked mind boggling, King Kong, and Rise of the Planet of the Apes amaze me more than this.

Although I will say in certain shots in the preview clip not shown in this trailer I was convinced it was real, so I'll hold judgement till I see the movie.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 09 September 2012   #29
Trailer #2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXQT...s&feature=share

Old 09 September 2012   #30
Woo Hoo! These trailers look incredible. The first shot where the actor stands on the deck in that storm and a water symphony in progress gave me the shivers.

The story base is an adventure, 'something else' by the looks of things. I am there Have to definitely grab a copy of the book.

wow

Thread Closed share thread