Digital Domain Master thread(losses continue. In the first 6 months lost $23M)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 07 July 2012   #16
Originally Posted by DePaint: In the worst case, DD could loose

Originally Posted by pingking: shareholders dont want to loose money.

loose=/lose.

Old 07 July 2012   #17
Originally Posted by Tamagoo: loose=/lose.

Loose=wide (trousers). Lose=miss something. You should be sure witch term you use when.

Old 07 July 2012   #18

Believe me, I have felt the same way for ages. What happened to the english language int he world of the internet?
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 07 July 2012   #19
Originally Posted by mister3d: Loose=wide (trousers). Lose=miss something. You should be sure witch term you use when.

loose - Not firmly or tightly fixed in place.
lose - Be deprived of.

I was quoting them as they used the wrong word in their sentence. But I know it is a habit and I used to do that too. Once someone pointed it out for me I never made the same mistake.

But I also made a mistake, I meant to say "does not equal" with "=/." Apparently it is "!=" in the internet world. :P

Cheers.

Last edited by Tamagoo : 07 July 2012 at 07:10 AM.

Old 07 July 2012   #20
Originally Posted by mister3d: Loose=wide (trousers). Lose=miss something. You should be sure witch term you use when.

while we're being pedantic,
witch/wiCH/
Noun:
A woman thought to have evil magic powers. Witches are popularly depicted as wearing a black cloak and pointed hat, and flying on a...
Verb:
(of a witch) Cast an evil spell on.

which/(h)wiCH/
Pronoun:
Asking for information specifying one or more people or things from a definite set: "which are the best varieties of grapes?".
Used referring to something previously mentioned when introducing a clause giving further information.

Old 07 July 2012   #21
Given that my eyes are horizontally side by side (I know, I'm a freak), how do you simulate depth for the brain except by shifting two parts of an image slightly side-by side horizontally to recreate the initial parallax? (because obviously, the 3D conversion remains a pair of 2D images)

And how do you extract part of an image from it's back ground except by rotoscoping (by hand or with a fancy algorithm)?

How do you fill the blanks left in the image except by looking at the current, previous or subsequent images to find the missing content?

From what I understand from Textor's speech, they patented the very principle of 2D to 3D conversion, not a given way to do it. The very fact that everybody "infringes" (all unrelated manufacturers, studios, software companies in different sectors with their own R&D), should further demonstrate that, shouldn't it ?

Old 07 July 2012   #22
Originally Posted by teruchan: Believe me, I have felt the same way for ages. What happened to the english language int he world of the internet?

Simple, not everyone posting on these boards has a formal education in English.

Old 07 July 2012   #23
I can't understand so many people paying for watching fake 3D (2D filmed). It sucks!!

Old 07 July 2012   #24
Originally Posted by ShinChanPu: I can't understand so many people paying for watching fake 3D (2D filmed). It sucks!!

Yeah, they never say in a trailer that it's 2D to 3D. They say "releasing in 3D". People don't get it.

Old 07 July 2012   #25

I'm sorry to have mispelled the word. can happen to a non native speaker

Old 07 July 2012   #26
Originally Posted by ShinChanPu: I can't understand so many people paying for watching fake 3D (2D filmed). It sucks!!

well, conversions arent that bad. did you watch "the avengers" or the last "harry potter" in 3d? both did well in stereo3d

Old 07 July 2012   #27
Originally Posted by Ordibble-Plop: But isn't this the very part that they were using to entice students to pay them to do their work?

maybe the do the conversions? or work for the "holographic" resurection stuff? or the military projects or on medical visualisations? thats all the field where mr. textors sees more profit then in the vfx movie world

Old 07 July 2012   #28
Originally Posted by jigu: Yeah, they never say in a trailer that it's 2D to 3D. They say "releasing in 3D". People don't get it.

Yeah, unless you see the trailer in a 3D projection.

Originally Posted by pingking: well, conversions arent that bad. did you watch "the avengers" or the last "harry potter" in 3d? both did well in stereo3d

No way. "Converting" 2D to 3D is a bullshit. You can separate depth planes from every shot, but you CAN'T get volume from any figure/object. Period.

Old 07 July 2012   #29
Was The Amazing Spiderman a 2D to 3D conversion? Because it was the first live action film I've enjoyed in 3D....it probably helped that most of the stunt scenes where we seen Spiderman in full costume were CG but still, the live action footage felt very dimensional.

Old 07 July 2012   #30
Hopefully this will speed up the demise of 3D.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

reply share thread