The Dark Knight Rises.. The reviews are..umm RISING!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2012   #61
sad

The sad truth is that there is no way to prevent tragedies like this and it doesn't matter what laws there are to protect people, it has nothing to do with weapon laws. If you remember Breivik who shot 80 people, nobody expected that in Norwegia. There are mad, crazy people out there who just do these things despite everything, evil always finds its way...

Old 07 July 2012   #62
Originally Posted by Artbot: While this is an awful turn of events, I don't see it changing much. There's no way theaters will install metal detectors. They could not afford the hardware or the personal to run and maintain them.

Here in Turkey, every shopping center entrance has a metal detector gate + xray machine + trained security personnel with metal wands. You empty your pockets of metallic items, and put any bags you may have through the xray machine at these mandatory security checkpoints.

Since multiplex cinemas here are usually inside large shopping centers, cinemagoers are protected by everyone having to go through the aforementioned security checkpoints on the way in.

If my country - which is still developing world economically speaking - can afford these security measures, then the larger American cinemas can probably afford them, too.

Sure, its something of a hassle to go through these checkpoints each time. But you get used to it.

As for the victims of Colorado, RIP.

Old 07 July 2012   #63
Edit: I deleted my anti gun control post.

Last edited by BigPixolin : 07 July 2012 at 01:48 PM.

Old 07 July 2012   #64
Regarding the film ( Batman ) - way too violent. And a bit disappointing too.

Old 07 July 2012   #65
Quote: Perhaps something about the way the media puts these murderers on a pedestal for weeks on end with 24/7 coverage fame, and a society's stigma for mental health might be closer topics to look into for this phenomenon.

funny thing you say this because they interviewed a guy who made a comment about the shooter being famous. i don't see how you equate fame with killing innocent people

Old 07 July 2012   #66
Originally Posted by BigPixolin: Blaming guns is as stupid as it gets. That is like blaming automobiles for drunk drivers.

Cars are made for getting from point A to point B, mostly (and some are to have a little fun to).

Guns are made for killing things. There is no other purpose to a gun.

Old 07 July 2012   #67
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: Guns are made for killing things. There is no other purpose to a gun.

Back in the days of the Wild West, maybe. But gun use has evolved to include sport and recreational use. I say this as a guy who quite 'anti - gun' too.

Old 07 July 2012   #68
What you eventually use it for is secondary. A gun is a lethal weapon designed to kill, period.

Old 07 July 2012   #69
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: What you eventually use it for is secondary. A gun is a lethal weapon designed to kill, period.

I agree with this. A car is primarily designed to go from point A to B.

A gun on the other hand is designed to shoot/kill things, including animals and people.

So I don't think you can quite compare a "car" with a "gun".

I'm for strict gun-control, personally. I don't think that Joe Random should be allowed to just go to a shop and buy two hand guns, a hunting rifle and a semi-automatic carbine.

Old 07 July 2012   #70
Also, I don't want to derail the thread any further and apologize for my previous posts.

Old 07 July 2012   #71
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: What you eventually use it for is secondary. A gun is a lethal weapon designed to kill, period.

Well - fair enough. I'd still argue that it is the trigger puller that is the killer. And if he or she never had access to a gun, he or she wouldn't become 'less psycho' and less a danger to folk.

I will concede this though - guns do facilitate larger scale killing sprees.

Old 07 July 2012   #72
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: Cars are made for getting from point A to point B, mostly (and some are to have a little fun to).

Guns are made for killing things. There is no other purpose to a gun.

Both can be used responsibly, and both can be used as a weapon.
It is not these objects that are the issue, it is what humans do with them. There are such things as crazy and stupid people.

My point was that this guy could of done any number of things with even worst of a outcome. He did not do this because he had guns, he did this because he is crazy.
What if he would of drove his car through the crowd outside and then blew it up?
Why aren't people saying smoke bombs and gas masks are also a problem? They clearly played a role. Maybe fire exits played a role? Maybe it was the violence of the movies?
No it was none of the above, it was his deranged mind.

Last edited by BigPixolin : 07 July 2012 at 06:00 PM.

Old 07 July 2012   #73
So, anyone see the movie?

Old 07 July 2012   #74
Originally Posted by Per-Anders: So, anyone see the movie?

Yes. I thought it was very brutal and violent. In the UK at least, the rating is wrong. And I was also, a bit disappointed too - tried too hard imo.

Old 07 July 2012   #75
Originally Posted by grrinc: Yes. I thought it was very brutal and violent. In the UK at least, the rating is wrong. And I was also, a bit disappointed too - tried too hard imo.

What stuck out as too violent? I can't recall anything out of the ordinary.

Enjoyed it very much. They grounded Bane in reality (which is a first for a Batman film) and Hardy did an excellent job. Outshone Ledger as the best Batman villain IMO. Hatthaway did much better than Pfieffer I thought, too.

My favorite of the three.

Thread Closed share thread