The Dark Knight Rises.. The reviews are..umm RISING!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2012
More details - including the suspect's identity:
http://www.hollywood.com/news/Dark_...gunman/34469861

Warner Bros. has cancelled the Paris premiere tonight, and issued a statement:

"Warner Bros. is deeply saddened to learn about this shocking incident," the studio said in a statement. "We extend our sincere sympathies to the families and loved ones of the victims at this tragic time."

http://www.etonline.com/news/123508...ty_reacti ons/

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot: i heard about it this morning and its really sad, i guess the movie theaters will need to have metal detectors now.

He actually kicked in the exit door to that theater, dropped a gas bomb and opened fire.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by Billabong: He actually kicked in the exit door to that theater, dropped a gas bomb and opened fire.

I believe I heard on Good Morning America that someone in the theatre answered a cell phone call, then went out the exit door, before the suspect with the weapons came in and started his shooting spree. It most likely was the suspect himself who first left through the exit door, leaving it ajar, so he could then gain access back into the theatre with his weapons and costume that he had stashed nearby.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by webhead: I believe I heard on Good Morning America that someone in the theatre answered a cell phone call, then went out the exit door, before the suspect with the weapons came in and started his shooting spree. It most likely was the suspect himself who first left through the exit door, leaving it ajar, so he could then gain access back into the theatre with his weapons and costume that he had stashed nearby.

This was on one of the news sites

The suspect, identified by federal law enforcement officials as James Holmes, 24, is in police custody. KUSA reports that Holmes kicked down an emergency door at the theater, threw in some type of a smoke bomb and began shooting when moviegoers started to run.

Either way it is horrific

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by webhead: More details - including the suspect's identity:
http://www.hollywood.com/news/Dark_...gunman/34469861

Warner Bros. has cancelled the Paris premiere tonight, and issued a statement:

"Warner Bros. is deeply saddened to learn about this shocking incident," the studio said in a statement. "We extend our sincere sympathies to the families and loved ones of the victims at this tragic time."

http://www.etonline.com/news/123508...ty_reacti ons/

I don't get what the shooting in Colorado has to do with the premiere in Paris.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by roofoo: I don't get what the shooting in Colorado has to do with the premiere in Paris.

Maybe just out of respect?

I don't think it had anything to do with the movie other than the fact that the theater was filled.

I just can't imagine what those people are going through. Such a random, horrible act.

www.MichaelSime.com

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by Michael5188: Maybe just out of respect?

I don't think it had anything to do with the movie other than the fact that the theater was filled.

I just can't imagine what those people are going through. Such a random, horrible act.

If that were the case, then why not cancel all the showings?

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by Billabong: This was on one of the news sites

The suspect, identified by federal law enforcement officials as James Holmes, 24, is in police custody. KUSA reports that Holmes kicked down an emergency door at the theater, threw in some type of a smoke bomb and began shooting when moviegoers started to run.

I was just waking up to the news early in the a.m. after a very late night, so I can't confirm what I think I heard about how he got into the theatre. I thought that I heard one of the witnesses say someone exited the theatre through the same exit door before the killer entered the theatre through it, but I may very well have heard it wrong.

Last edited by webhead : 07 July 2012 at 03:08 PM.

07 July 2012
It's all so senseless and tragic, and a particularly sad irony in the case of victim Jessica Ghawi.
She survived one shooting last month, only to die in this one:

"Aurora victim Jessica Ghawi had survived Toronto mall shooting last month"

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...5#ixzz21AzPIf6c

Last edited by webhead : 07 July 2012 at 03:29 PM.

07 July 2012
My prayers go to the families...

Such horror.
-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

07 July 2012
Too many psychos and too many guns.

Horrible and sad, very sad.

Now lets see the fallout for the entertainment industry. Ironically Batman, both the comics original as the Nolan version, defend human rights in a non-lethal way.

But make no mistake, there will be repercussions. Metal detectors in theaters will just be one thing.

We are approaching an era where you dont feel safe anywhere anymore. The global fear of nuclear armageddon this effed up society insisted on having overshadow my own youth has been replaced by seemingly random acts of terror and violence. And at places of business and entertainment, no less.

So very sad for the afflicted families, my thoughts are with them.

07 July 2012
While this is an awful turn of events, I don't see it changing much. There's no way theaters will install metal detectors. They could not afford the hardware or the personal to run and maintain them. It might mean the end of midnight showings, though. No, it doesn't make any sense to ban those, but it's a typical American reaction to appear to be addressing the problem in some way, when in reality they wouldn't touch the problem (guns) with a 10 foot pole.

As an aside, having just returned from 2 weeks in the Rockies, it's a little shocking how widespread and forceful the gun culture is in those states. There are gun and hunting stores everywhere. There are extreme (generally hardcore right-wing and "get the government out of my life" libertarianism) political views expressed along just about every roadside. I'm not saying that shootings like this only happen in those areas, but if you want to see the heart of what rabid "gun & freedom" culture is like in the States, just go there.

07 July 2012
On the film, I've just got back from seeing it and thought it was stunning, epic and loved every minute of it's 2hr 40min running time which flew by. Just brilliant.

Nolan must be the most bankable director out there.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by Artbot: While this is an awful turn of events, I don't see it changing much. There's no way theaters will install metal detectors. They could not afford the hardware or the personal to run and maintain them. It might mean the end of midnight showings, though. No, it doesn't make any sense to ban those, but it's a typical American reaction to appear to be addressing the problem in some way, when in reality they wouldn't touch the problem (guns) with a 10 foot pole..

Besides it would not have mattered.
There are reports that this nut entered the movie theater through the emergency exit door.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by Artbot: As an aside, having just returned from 2 weeks in the Rockies, it's a little shocking how widespread and forceful the gun culture is in those states. There are gun and hunting stores everywhere. There are extreme (generally hardcore right-wing and "get the government out of my life" libertarianism) political views expressed along just about every roadside. I'm not saying that shootings like this only happen in those areas, but if you want to see the heart of what rabid "gun & freedom" culture is like in the States, just go there.

What's wrong with that?
Doesn't sound bad to me.

Thread Closed share thread