CGTalk > Main Forums > General Discussion
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 07-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #61
ParamountCell
.:laureato di arte:.

portfolio
Daniel S Amedoda
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to ParamountCell
best synopsis ever!
"mongoose is conflicted between his biological space mongoose father and his earth mongoose father, and becomes mongoose on steroids"

Old 07-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #62
BigPixolin
Banned

c none
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR
Apparently yes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wingtip_vortices

I found the flying sequence superb. The vortices and the repetitive sonic booms, goose bumps all over my back.
And the suit looks really good to, opposed to spandex crap they used on last superman movie.

The teaser looks very promising, hopefully the movie is as good.

Yes but his contrails look like that of a jumbo jet's engines. Not a fighter plane's wingtip contrails. Plus superman doesn't generate wing lift. I realize how stupid this all sounds. He flies so contrails aren't the crazy part.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #63
AIR
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Damir G. Martin
Computer generated imagery
Rijeka, Croatia

Send a message via MSN to AIR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPixolin
Yes but his contrails look like that of a jumbo jet's engines. Not a fighter plane's wingtip contrails. Plus superman doesn't generate wing lift. I realize how stupid this all sounds. He flies so contrails aren't the crazy part.

Its not contrail, its vortices, in the case of Superman not wingtip but trail vortices.

Human feet, heel and fists could probably generate bigger trail vortices than that of a jet at sound speeds or higher cos their shape is much less aerodynamic, resulting in a much bigger drag. Superman vortices remind of that of a jet cos they are produced by two feet/hands
Bottom line is I think the superman flying sequence looks incredibly realistic imo.

Also as AJ pointed, the teaser gives away very positive vibe, looks serious, melodramatic, dare I say looks like a contender for best movie award in categories beyond special effects and cg.
Hopefully this movie turns out to be as good as the teaser O_o.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #64
BigPixolin
Banned

c none
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR
Its not contrail, its vortices, in the case of Superman not wingtip but trail vortices.

Human feet, heel and fists could probably generate bigger trail vortices than that of a jet at sound speeds or higher cos their shape is much less aerodynamic, resulting in a much bigger drag. Superman vortices remind of that of a jet cos they are produced by two feet/hands
Bottom line is I think the superman flying sequence looks incredibly realistic imo.

Also as AJ pointed, the teaser gives away very positive vibe, looks serious, melodramatic, dare I say looks like a contender for best movie award in categories beyond special effects and cg.
Hopefully this movie turns out to be as good as the teaser O_o.

I feel like a fool even carrying this conversation on. Those are the result of a wing generating lift. Not simply bad aerodynamics. Superman does not generate lift as far as I know. It does look cool, just doesn't make sense.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #65
AIR
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Damir G. Martin
Rijeka, Croatia

Quote:
I feel like a fool even carrying this conversation on. Those are the result of a wing generating lift. Not simply bad aerodynamics. Superman does not generate lift as far as I know. It does look cool, just doesn't make sense.

Why would you feel like a fool? Aviation industry spends butt load of $$ and their finest brains spend their lives to workout solution how to reduce drag effect to the zero. And yes, it is simply bad aerodynamics, or lack of it.
Wiki quote "Wingtip vortices are associated with induced drag, an unavoidable side-effect of the wing generating lift"
So it makes perfect sense to me. Superman might not generate lift as a regular airplane wing, but his body does generate big drag cos of lack of aerodynamics which in turn could probably result in massive vortices, just like they made it in the scene.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #66
BigPixolin
Banned

c none
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR
Why would you feel like a fool? Aviation industry spends butt load of $$ and their finest brains spend their lives to workout solution how to reduce drag effect to the zero. And yes, it is simply bad aerodynamics, or lack of it.
Wiki quote "Wingtip vortices are associated with induced drag, an unavoidable side-effect of the wing generating lift"
So it makes perfect sense to me. Superman might not generate lift as a regular airplane wing, but his body does generate big drag cos of lack of aerodynamics which in turn could probably result in massive vortices, just like they made it in the scene.

Just because it is a imaginary character. Sounds like a good idea for Mythbusters, a show about proving or disproving stuff like this. I'm sure anything is possible.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #67
AIR
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Damir G. Martin
Rijeka, Croatia

Quote:
Just because it is a imaginary character. Sounds like a good idea for Mythbusters, a show about proving or disproving stuff like this. I'm sure anything is possible.

Imaginary he is, but we were discussing vortices associated with induced drag generated by human body shape which is not imaginary.
Indeed, this would make one hell of a Mythbusters case
We should write them an email

Old 07-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #68
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

I think intuitively what makes it seem false is that there is a pair of trails, perfectly spaced, like a mini version of a jet. As if it is only coming from his boots or it's coming off of his shoulders or something. Seems like at that scale there would be enough turbulence to just be one effective trail.

And yeah, it's a flying man, nothing should matter, but if they're going the extra step to show the compression wave, then they are telling you that they're trying for a certain amount of fantasy realism, so they should think about the rest of it. Maybe there was debate about it on the production..or maybe Zack was just like "YEAH TWO TRAILS K-RAD!" before one of Nolan's people sedated him.

P.S. Have to say even the blurry version of the comic-con trailer was 100x better than this teaser, though. I'm sure it will come out legit in due time, but it's so much more interesting to me to see more of supes in action, rather than just this faux sentimentality, pearl harbor, tree of life stuff. It is nice that it tries to show the tone of the movie, and try and make you forget that it's Zack F'ing Snyder, but want more inferred payoff for sitting through his origin story AGAIN.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #69
CB_3D
Lord of the posts

C Ferreira
Architecture, Engine, Germany

Looks cool amd coherent for the human eye and brain, IMO.

Filmed as through the window of a passenger plane, that´s the vibe I get from it.

The contrail thing should be easy to prove or disprove.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #70
CB_3D
Lord of the posts

C Ferreira

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypercube
..or maybe Zack was just like "YEAH TWO TRAILS K-RAD!" before one of Nolan's people sedated him.

Ok, that phrase just made me LOL!

Old 07-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #71
halfPintMike
Timshel

portfolio
Timothy Augustine
TCS
Chennai, India

At one point in the teaser (around 0.25), he lifts something heavy (for us humans) with a wince. Shouldn't he be able to lift the boat he's standing on and still not wince?
Shape from that thy work of art.
-Longfellow

Old 07-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #72
CB_3D
Lord of the posts

C Ferreira

What happened to Superman´s pants??

Ahhhh OK!

Old 07-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #73
Quadart
It’s the journey…

portfolio
Bill Melvin
freelance cg artist
USA

I wonder if Felix Baumgartner will sport a shockwave tutu if he breaks the sound barrier in his next space-dive to Earth, from 120,000 ft.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:15 AM   #74
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypercube
I think intuitively what makes it seem false is that there is a pair of trails, perfectly spaced, like a mini version of a jet. As if it is only coming from his boots or it's coming off of his shoulders or something. Seems like at that scale there would be enough turbulence to just be one effective trail.

And yeah, it's a flying man, nothing should matter, but if they're going the extra step to show the compression wave, then they are telling you that they're trying for a certain amount of fantasy realism, so they should think about the rest of it. Maybe there was debate about it on the production..or maybe Zack was just like "YEAH TWO TRAILS K-RAD!" before one of Nolan's people sedated him.

Why should it matter? It's Fiction. It's Art.

Then again, having said that I must say I get into arguments like this all the time with my own VFX team.

Still while I want to just give Zack Snyder all the cards and let him do what he wants visually.. I am not sure myself I would have gone with the sonic booms and the contrail/vortices.

Maybe just one in the end... and I'd probably also go with hypercube's suggestion of using only one trail. But that's so that it's clear there's only one flying object.

Yeah.. I'm not a scientist/aerodynamicist.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #75
anderslanglands
Anders Langlands
DFX Supervisor
MPC
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadart
I wonder if Felix Baumgartner will sport a shockwave tutu if he breaks the sound barrier in his next space-dive to Earth, from 120,000 ft.

Probably not. Although Prandtl-Glauert clouds can occur anywhere from around mach 0.8 to 1.2, I don't think Baumgartner be going nearly that fast by the time he gets to an altitude where the atmosphere is dense enough to create the condensation cloud, because the atmosphere will have slowed him towards a terminal velocity of something like 130mph.

Last edited by anderslanglands : 07-26-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Thread Closed share thread