First trailer for Sam Raimi's "Oz The Great And Powerful"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #31
I'ma huge fan of the Oz books. I have read pretty much all of them and the world in the trailer pretty much brings my child hood dreaming alive. The color palette is so beautiful, reminds a lot of the art on the cover of some of the books. my only gripe is the whole one man to save us story that's been done to death. Hopefully there will be a twist or two in there.

Old 11 November 2012   #32
Also love the books. I remember reading them after seeing the original movie going, is this the same story? The new film looks interesting. I'll keep an eye on it.

Edit:
Also, Bruce Campbell for anything!
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 11 November 2012   #33
Seriously, DWARFS ? Of all magical possibilities...DWARFS !? Let me put it this way: yaaaaaaaawn.

Old 11 November 2012   #34
Originally Posted by Emmanuel: Seriously, DWARFS ? Of all magical possibilities...DWARFS !? Let me put it this way: yaaaaaaaawn.

I take it you never saw Wizard of Oz or read any of the books?

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 11 November 2012   #35
More VFX than you could poke a stick at without a practical effect in sight *yawn*

Old 11 November 2012   #36
Originally Posted by Apoclypse: I'ma huge fan of the Oz books. I have read pretty much all of them and the world in the trailer pretty much brings my child hood dreaming alive. The color palette is so beautiful, reminds a lot of the art on the cover of some of the books. my only gripe is the whole one man to save us story that's been done to death. Hopefully there will be a twist or two in there.

The twist is:

"What if the Wizard of Oz was really a man with no magic?"

It's a chemist fighting against one of the most powerful magical villains ever conceived.
I'm in.

(Not to mention, I'm also in because I think there will be a nice character journey where the Wizard learns there is more to life than trying to achieve self-greatness.)

Old 11 November 2012   #37
It visualy reminded me of the Alice in Wonderland remake, hope it has more substance than it as a movie besides good CG

Old 11 November 2012   #38
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: The twist is:

"What if the Wizard of Oz was really a man with no magic?"

That's not a twist though, the Wizard never had any magic (SPOILER ALERT FROM 1939).

But it is a good use of the setup.

Again I just wish it was someone else in the role.

Old 11 November 2012   #39
can someone tell me why most here are against james franco? is there a reason for this?

Old 11 November 2012   #40
Originally Posted by hypercube: That's not a twist though, the Wizard never had any magic (SPOILER ALERT FROM 1939).

Haha, no kidding. When I first read that I thought he was being sarcastic...

I agree, this looks like a lot of flash but I've yet to see something character/story wise that really grabbed me. Could be good, just not really excited for it... maybe it's cause the visuals remind me of Alice in Wonderland so much and I hated that movie.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 11 November 2012   #41
Originally Posted by Michael5188: Haha, no kidding. When I first read that I thought he was being sarcastic...

I agree, this looks like a lot of flash but I've yet to see something character/story wise that really grabbed me. Could be good, just not really excited for it... maybe it's cause the visuals remind me of Alice in Wonderland so much and I hated that movie.

Never read the book so I didn't know.

Cinematically speaking, we've never seen a Chemist have to do battle with a Sorceress.
So I think it'll work.

It's "new enough".

Old 11 November 2012   #42
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread