First trailer for Sam Raimi's "Oz The Great And Powerful"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2012
The change in Hollywood is so well documented by now...

I was reading a Wall Street Journal article earlier today at imdb where it talked about all the remakes and reboots and comic book remakes and the studio spin was that it saves filmmakers the "trouble" of coming up with original ideas.

Haha

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by kelgy: The change in Hollywood is so well documented by now...

I was reading a Wall Street Journal article earlier today at imdb where it talked about all the remakes and reboots and comic book remakes and the studio spin was that it saves filmmakers the "trouble" of coming up with original ideas.

Haha

Well I won't deny that that this sort of problem exists in some places.

Basically your view would be: "Robert Downey Jr. got back in 'before-lock' and this sort of thing doesn't happen anymore because no one takes chances in Hollywood".

And yeah, I think depending on what circle you are in at that market, it is possible you can find no one for miles that will take chances.

But the question remains whether James Franco is indeed a safe bet for this film.....

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Basically your view would be: "Robert Downey Jr. got back in 'before-lock' and this sort of thing doesn't happen anymore because no one takes chances in Hollywood".

Maybe
although he was also playing a super hero character so even though I say it defies their marketing philosophy due to his age they would probably counter that the comic book factor acts as a balance.

I dont think Franco is a safe bet but because he is younger and fits that marketing philosophy--maybe that's what they were thinking. But then again I cant say they always think like that-but it sure seems like the trend.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by kelgy: Maybe
although he was also playing a super hero character so even though I say it defies their marketing philosophy due to his age they would probably counter that the comic book factor acts as a balance.

I dont think Franco is a safe bet but because he is younger and fits that marketing philosophy--maybe that's what they were thinking. But then again I cant say they always think like that-but it sure seems like the trend.

Again, I think RDJr's upturn began with his very good performance on Ally McBeal. The Iron Man gig came later.

But again, it's easy to forget where he's been so I can easily forgive people who don't remember a time when he wasn't really bankable anymore.

Jackie Chan suffered a similar period in the years between the Death of Bruce Lee and Drunken Master. Chan's situation was sort of worse. He was in some cinema releases and had been tried as a leading man but it wasn't working. It didn't work until he reverting to comedy and circus stunts.

What I cannot deny while I argue that Raimi could have helped Bruce land this gig is that it didn't happen at all and maybe it's a sign things aren't what they used to be.

However, it can change. It can change very quickly. The movie business was kind of not sure where it was going until JAWS pioneered the style of Wide Releasing that today is the norm.

That's why I keep thinking maybe if they tried it... you know.... if you test it. People can see it. And something might "click". But that's just me. I always have faith in these things.

At the same time, I find difficulty believing James Franco was the best the process could conjure up for this role....Even considering demographics....They could have "pulled a JJ Abrams STAR TREK" and cast one of the "smart-looking" guys on TV from a hot show...

So many ways it could have gone down.. but we have James Franco. :P

07 July 2012
From what I recall RDjr's career was on the upswing when he was doing things like Chaplin--then his drug problems screwed it up--then he got a second chance--but apparently it wasnt enough because he wasnt considered easily insurable. Mel Gibson offered to help him and that's when he got his career back on track sometime in the 2000s.
But I dont think Iron Man was expected to be as successful as it was--and no doubt it helped that both he and Bridges ad libbed their lines. If they were younger actors the chances of that working would have probably been greatly reduced.
I dont think the studios learned any lessons from that though--like the fact that actors with age and experience can sometimes contribute more.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by kelgy: From what I recall RDjr's career was on the upswing when he was doing things like Chaplin--then his drug problems screwed it up--then he got a second chance--but apparently it wasnt enough because he wasnt considered easily insurable. Mel Gibson offered to help him and that's when he got his career back on track sometime in the 2000s.
But I dont think Iron Man was expected to be as successful as it was--and no doubt it helped that both he and Bridges ad libbed their lines. If they were younger actors the chances of that working would have probably been greatly reduced.
I dont think the studios learned any lessons from that though--like the fact that actors with age and experience can sometimes contribute more.

Well because in reality the situation teaches very little.

I mean, the only thing you learn from that situation is "Robert Downey, Jr. can ad-lib and people like him as Tony Stark".

It doesn't teach Jon Favreau for example about where to plan in a film to make actors ad-lib. It also doesn't mean Studios will start asking after actors who are good at improv. Also the argument goes that it worked because of who he was with so maybe you need a pair.

You have guys on the other side of the spectrum like say, Al Pacino, who I've heard comes to set well prepared and does it by-the-book. These sort of actors may be quick to counter any less-structural approach to planning scenes and you can't argue against their success either.

It just doesn't work. You can infer a couple of things from it. But I'm not sure what you can learn from it.

I think my only argument there is that "There is a precedent for getting this kind of actor". But that's really just about it.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Well because in reality the situation teaches very little.

I mean, the only thing you learn from that situation is "Robert Downey, Jr. can ad-lib and people like him as Tony Stark".

I think the lesson is if you dont have a finished shooting script then it helps to have actors who can contribute dialogue as I read they did.
Not common and probably not something one should try to ensure but it may have helped the film tremendously.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by kelgy: I think the lesson is if you dont have a finished shooting script then it helps to have actors who can contribute dialogue as I read they did.
Not common and probably not something one should try to ensure but it may have helped the film tremendously.

It definitely added a certain quality to it. But the main point is repeatability of success.

Because there are so many happy accidents in film (more than in ANY other industry) and they seem to count for so much, it is very difficult I think to glean anything.

The casting for some films (including this one for Oz) does conjure up curiosity. I mean one has to wonder what arrangement of agencies, producers, and directors allowed James Franco to come into this picture.

It's not that Franco can't act. But I'm sure there's an interesting arrangement of circumstances behind that.

One legend, for example, supposedly about how Keanu Reeves landed the role of Neo in "The Matrix", was because Will Smith supposedly said that Keanu would be good for it because he's a sci-fi nerd who really reads a lot of books and he'd be good for this film. In doing so, Will Smith turned down the role of Neo.

Which of course is the flip side of the conversation, when should people say: "Ok.. This is not the role/project for me?". While some of us think Franco probably could have thought twice about whether he could carry this film. Obviously he thinks he can.

Regardless though of the circumstances, being cast as "The Wizard of Oz" is definitely a great role. Who knows? Maybe Franco will surprise people with it?

07 July 2012
I think people should give Franco a chance. While he's not my favorit actor he's okay and I remember when people were getting all butt hurt that Heathe Ledger was cast as the Joker and were saying that he would never live up to Nickelson's role in Batman. Not only did he surpass jack-o but you would be hard pressed to find anyone who though old Jackie's performance was better, or can even remember it. I barely remember it frankly. But Ledger's Joker is ingrained in my mind.

Sometime's a young unexpected actor can surprise you with their performance and Franco may take this opportunity to really show us what he's got.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by Apoclypse: I think people should give Franco a chance. While he's not my favorit actor he's okay and I remember when people were getting all butt hurt that Heathe Ledger was cast as the Joker and were saying that he would never live up to Nickelson's role in Batman. Not only did he surpass jack-o but you would be hard pressed to find anyone who though old Jackie's performance was better, or can even remember it. I barely remember it frankly. But Ledger's Joker is ingrained in my mind.

Sometime's a young unexpected actor can surprise you with their performance and Franco may take this opportunity to really show us what he's got.

He looks kind of dead in the trailer. Everything I've seen with him he seems kind of detached. The Wizard of Oz is basically a trickster, whom is very clever but cannot do any magic. He comes to rule in a world of magic, he must be pretty good. Most magicians are quite seductive the way they talk and act, I imagine he had to be very good, more than just making simple tricks to get by in Oz. I think they missed the point with this actor.

The thing about good films is, they usually have interesting characters in interesting worlds. Here they have a dull character in an interesting world. It would have been better if it was an interesting character in a dull world, people prefer characters more than they do worlds(generally). You could have had the wizard of oz really smart, gets the measure of this world the moment he arrives, almost like he belongs, and he runs circles around the inhabitants. Similar to alot of fairy tales.

07 July 2012
I been seeing a lot of James Franco clips.... and I cannot see indications of the range that I think the "Wizard" would have called for.

Although I think he definitely has the "smooth-talker" part down.... There's this thing he does with his face when he avoids squinting/drooping his eyes too much and uses that near mono-tone... that might pass for "smooth-talking". Maybe it's going to go down to how he interprets it....]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm2j6aIN6MI

But I did see also some Joseph Gordon-Levitt and I think that guy can do the "Wizard" too (although a bit younger). In fact in my opinion, I think if they exchanged roles with James Franco doing "Looper" and JGL on the Wizard of Oz, it would work because Franco fits the profile of a loafer waiting for someone to appear in front of him and then blasting him and later being out-of-depth when the target is Bruce Willis who escapes....

P.S.: Definitely saw some things that could be useful in facial rigging in the future having watched all those actor face clips. :P :P :P

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 07 July 2012 at 12:13 AM.

11 November 2012
New trailer
http://youtu.be/DylgNj4YQVc

11 November 2012
It's up on Apple as well..hopefully someone will throw HD on youtube shortly.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/...eatandpowerful/

Still loving the visuals, even if it is hard to distinguish from Wonderland sometimes, the cities look awesome..more and more of that, and more time with all the other actors who are thankfully not James Franco.

11 November 2012
Very promising visuals, looking forward to this!

Why the 'rattling chain" transformer sounds, like in the last shot? :-/
I wish they would stop copying sounds/samples.

11 November 2012
I really I am intrigued to see this, much better than the first trailer.

But... Another Trailer Where They Almost Show The Whole Movie, or so I fear :-P

Thread Closed share thread