hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

First trailer for Sam Raimi's "Oz The Great And Powerful"

Looks like some great fun lush VFX, and James Franco as..James Franco.

Think it would have been better with Robert Downey Jr. playing Robert Downey Jr. in it.

youtube HD:

http://youtu.be/yyywumlnhdw?hd=1

quicktime:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/...eatandpowerful/

Old 07-13-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Looks great!

Except for Rachel Weisz saying : "you're in Oz". The text tile reveal later in the trailer would have been enough. But otherwise this looks like it could be a good movie.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:23 AM   #3
japetus
3D Trickster

portfolio
Mike Hanson
3D Artist
[:|] Straightface Studios
Seattle, USA

I liked the black & white beginning but when they got to Oz (or pre-Oz if you will), the flat matte paintings were killing me. I hope they are improved in the final release.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Yea I wish they got Robert Downey Jr for this instead of James Franco.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
Yea I wish they got Robert Downey Jr for this instead of James Franco.

Was he ever up for playing this role? Isn't he busy enough?

Hmm.. James Franco.... Now that people mention alternatives...I would have tried Jean Dujardin...We'd have to test his English. But the face. He can do both the Naughty and Nice thing with his face and I think he can be a dirty bastard and be credible even as the good guy in the end that I suspect the main character has to be.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
AJ
Totoro

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Alex Jefferies
Director
MDI Digital Ltd
Norwich, United Kingdom

Looks like a lot of fun!The green hand at the end looked really bad though

Old 07-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Fahrija
pain_emplifier

portfolio
Fahrija Velic
Industrial Designer
NR21 DESIGN GMBH
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
Looks great!

Except for Rachel Weisz saying : "you're in Oz".

mila kunis

Old 07-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Was he ever up for playing this role? Isn't he busy enough?

Hmm.. James Franco.... Now that people mention alternatives...I would have tried Jean Dujardin...We'd have to test his English. But the face. He can do both the Naughty and Nice thing with his face and I think he can be a dirty bastard and be credible even as the good guy in the end that I suspect the main character has to be.

RDJr was originally going to be the lead in this, which is why I mentioned it. I think he would have been a much more dynamic Wizard, more in line with the fast talking huckster.

Aside from 127 Hours, and even including a lot of that, Franco mostly just seems to play the same kind of amiable stoner in everything he's in..I really don't think he did that great under Raimi in the Spidey movies, either.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #9
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypercube
RDJr was originally going to be the lead in this, which is why I mentioned it. I think he would have been a much more dynamic Wizard, more in line with the fast talking huckster.

Aside from 127 Hours, and even including a lot of that, Franco mostly just seems to play the same kind of amiable stoner in everything he's in..I really don't think he did that great under Raimi in the Spidey movies, either.

If it's a Raimi production and he missed out on RDJr... Then why didn't he call the next best candidate that he has strong relations with?

Bruce Campbell would have been great in this role. And he didn't look too bad when made up as the young Sam Axe in the Burn Notice prequel movie.

I mean, what actors like Bruce Campbell and Jean Dujardin can do is they can convince people they are really experiencing what's happening in "Oz". They can inject that "what the hell?" expression that really helps to sell the Sense of Wonder of it all.

P.S.: Oops over the Mila Kunis thing.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #10
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
If it's a Raimi production and he missed out on RDJr... Then why didn't he call the next best candidate that he has strong relations with?

Bruce Campbell would have been great in this role. And he didn't look too bad when made up as the young Sam Axe in the Burn Notice prequel movie.

Totally! Bruce could have done the con man angle extremely well..and it's not like the wizard is that young when we meet up with him again later..could have been a much more heartfelt role for a middle aged Oz. Oh well.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:55 AM   #11
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

Studio would say no to Bruce Campbell. Not well known enough for a budget of that size.

BTW--I read there's another Oz movie or two coming
Surrender Dorothy and Dreams of Oz (where the wizard is evil).

Old 07-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #12
japetus
3D Trickster

portfolio
Mike Hanson
3D Artist
[:|] Straightface Studios
Seattle, USA

They shoudl make a Wicked movie if it's not already happening, I really enjoyed the broadway play, but I haven't read the book.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:08 AM   #13
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelgy
Studio would say no to Bruce Campbell. Not well known enough for a budget of that size.

BTW--I read there's another Oz movie or two coming
Surrender Dorothy and Dreams of Oz (where the wizard is evil).

Well there's such a thing as "Have faith in Sam Raimi"... Besides all they'd need to do is produce a video test and it should be apparent if it works.

Similar to Tim Burton getting Michael Keaton for the first Batman. Lots of people said no to that one.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #14
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Well there's such a thing as "Have faith in Sam Raimi"... .

Not in today's climate!
No risk no risk no risk.
Even if the screen test was good do you really think the executives would recognize if it was good or not? They answer to marketing data(although Robert Downey Jr defies their predictions because he is near 50 and according to their expertise young people wont watch movies which star people over 30 or so).

The directors are given a short list of actors that are considered suitable for the budget and they have to pick from that. They might save face by saying they thought this person was perfect but its interesting how they never pick unknowns like they used to.

Raimi was turned down before btw-when he had a tv series. He wanted William Sadler but they said he wasnt pretty enough and he had to take someone else. I forgot the show. Something about a devil sheriff.

Last edited by kelgy : 07-16-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:49 AM   #15
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelgy
Not in today's climate!
No risk no risk no risk.
Even if the screen test was good do you really think the executives would recognize if it was good or not? They answer to marketing data(although Robert Downey Jr defies their predictions because he is near 50 and according to their expertise young people wont watch movies which star people over 30 or so).

The directors are given a short list of actors that are considered suitable for the budget and they have to pick from that. They might save face by saying they thought this person was perfect but its interesting how they never pick unknowns like they used to.

Raimi was turned down before btw-when he had a tv series. He wanted William Sadler but they said he wasnt pretty enough and he had to take someone else. I forgot the show. Something about a devil sheriff.

It's easy to forget about the time when Robert Downey Jr. was considered "poison" when he was down in the doldrums before his second break on Ally McBeal.... He did get a chance there. Someone gave it to him or his agent (new agent?) didn't give up on him. Some executive controlling Ally McBeal didn't step in to stop it or probably helped put it together.

Breaks happen.

I am kind of concerned so many people assume Studio Management/Executives cannot be affected by what they see on-screen. They're people too. It only takes a few of them who count to actually like what they're seeing... Then something will happen.

It's true they have to "think about other things" while watching the clips. But that's par for the course.

But that's a moot point... We got James Franco.... :P

P.S.: And in line with RDjr's return/upswing via TV...Bruce Campbell is coming off accolades and launching his own spin-off for Burn Notice. So it's not like it was going to be too difficult for Producers to digest. But hey... We don't know what happened... Just opining.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 07-16-2012 at 12:52 AM.

Thread Closed share thread