Valve's Source Filmmaker

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2012
Wonder if you can Export the scenes to Maya or max and render them out in Vray?

06 June 2012
Probably not, I haven't worked with the Source engine, but the engines I've worked with can only go as far as maybe exporting out geometry, but not animations and not animated scenes.

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by balistic: I'd completely forgotten that Bay was working at Valve.

Funnily enough, Jeff Unay is there too - he was the facial lead on Avatar. They also have Paul Thuriot who's been a creature TD at ILM, Tippett and other places. Oh, and Michael Abrash, who helped John Carmack with assembly optimizations on Quake's renderer.

That's quite a team already and who knows who else they've recruited...

06 June 2012
Quote: Can I make money with this tool? Yes, but not if you’re using Valve’s assets in your movie. The tool is free for non-commercial use. You can use Valve’s game assets (things like characters, props, particles, textures, and sounds) to create movies and images to share with the game community, as long as what you create is free. We’re not giving you a license to commercialize our assets. However, if you do not include any of Valve’s assets in the movies and images that you make, then there are no restrictions on what you do with your content and you can make money with it.

http://www.sourcefilmmaker.com/faq/

Indicates that you should be able to get in whatever...

07 July 2012
So, can anyone tell me please if can you import point cache from an animated character made in Maya or any other app in to source filmmaker?

thanks

07 July 2012
how long before Autodesk buy these guys out.....

Last edited by amreet : 07 July 2012 at 05:31 AM.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by amreet: how long before Autodesk buy these guys out.....

Not likely, this is Valve

Besides it's not really that innovative, there's other game engines that aren't necessarily as easy to use for cinematics but can do a much better job.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by darthviper107: Not likely, this is Valve

Besides it's not really that innovative, there's other game engines that aren't necessarily as easy to use for cinematics but can do a much better job.

And by "much better job" you mean visual quality? That can be hardly called an achievement. There is quite much of innovation in the SFM. And thats how you approach the whole pipeline composition and so on. The whole concept is nobrainer on itself. But how its done seems to be quite jewel.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by amreet: how long before Autodesk buy these guys out.....

Valve is probably worth more then Autodesk and its privately held

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by Cromfel: And by "much better job" you mean visual quality? That can be hardly called an achievement. There is quite much of innovation in the SFM. And thats how you approach the whole pipeline composition and so on. The whole concept is nobrainer on itself. But how its done seems to be quite jewel.

Visual quality is a big deal if you're actually using it to make movies.

Besides that, while the other games don't allow you to animate characters directly in the editor, it doesn't matter because you can construct your animations with much better tools outside of the game engine with things like Maya or MotionBuilder and then send it all to the editor for creating the video. The only thing with SFM I can see that's actually cool that you can't do elsewhere is being able to have multiplayer users play out a scene that can be recorded as a starting point for animation refinement.

Of course it's a great tool for people making TF2 videos, but as a tool for making anything else there's no real point.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by darthviper107: Of course it's a great tool for people making TF2 videos, but as a tool for making anything else there's no real point.

You've just missed mentioning that every cinematic Valve has created since the "Meet the...." videos started has been created within SFM. The Left 4 Dead 2 cinematics where pretty awesome.

This from the wiki; "It is mostly used when the film contains something outside of the game's capabilities, like new facial expressions and cinematic animations." which tells us that it's not just for people filming each other running around a TF2 map at all, that's the least of it's abilities for creating cinematics within the Source engine.

07 July 2012
If this allows you to play with other models besides TF2, let me be the first to say it:

Poor Zoey and Rochelle. ^_^

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by JoshBowman: You've just missed mentioning that every cinematic Valve has created since the "Meet the...." videos started has been created within SFM. The Left 4 Dead 2 cinematics where pretty awesome.

This from the wiki; "It is mostly used when the film contains something outside of the game's capabilities, like new facial expressions and cinematic animations." which tells us that it's not just for people filming each other running around a TF2 map at all, that's the least of it's abilities for creating cinematics within the Source engine.

That means nothing, they made everything for it, for someone who doesn't want to make a video from a Valve game it doesn't help them at all because you can use better tools outside of the engine for animations and use better engines for rendering. The only advantage for this is if the content is already there, for custom content it offers no advantage.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by darthviper107: That means nothing, they made everything for it, for someone who doesn't want to make a video from a Valve game it doesn't help them at all because you can use better tools outside of the engine for animations and use better engines for rendering. The only advantage for this is if the content is already there, for custom content it offers no advantage.

Well, I'm planning to organize our own test for it. Because the holy grail is real-time feedback. Much of the actual work prior to this, including motion creation, 3D modeling, and texture mapping is not going to be replaced by this system.

The Source Filmmaker appears to only take over from Shot Blocking through to the end. I am curious to see if this includes multiplexing audio....

Currently these stages like blocking, motion refinement, Lighting/VFX, Music, and Audio/Foley involve SEPARATE feedback streams. Even if you try to do them all quickly.. you usually have to sit down at a different place each time to evaluate these things.

What I want to specifically test is Source Filmmaker's auto lip-syncer (what does it require, what ranges can it do), and how many processes are compressed into a single place beyond just the real-time rendering that they demonstrated.

In particular, I was intrigued at the idea that if a speech file needed to be moved or replaced, it can be done quickly, and in one sitting together with the animation and whatever Lighting/FX changes needed to be done. In a conventional system, not signing off on the audio, or changing a line, is a serious decision because animators on a separate working process will be affected.

Vice-versa for the sound as well. You cannot always accomodate new ideas because there is a working track for audio and sound designers as well.

If Source Filmmaker can be a single consolidator of all that content and bundle it out as output... Then we're on to something.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 07 July 2012 at 05:58 AM.

07 July 2012
I'd bet good money that, a decade or so from now, there are going to be a whole lot of junior artists who got their start on Source Filmmaker, which is a pretty major effect on the industry even if no studio but Valve uses it for commercial work.

Thread Closed share thread