CGTalk > Main Forums > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-27-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
webhead
Expert

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: The Reviews Are Really Stuck On Webb's Film.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_amazing_spider_man/

"A mostly slick, entertaining and emotionally involving recombination of fresh and familiar elements."

"Has characters you can fall in love with, and bags of charm. The series is in safe hands."

"Garfield plays Peter as more of a misunderstood outsider, a rebel with a chip on his shoulder, a guy who wasn't afraid to stand up to the class bully even before he underwent his transformation."

"An awesome, new spin on the familiar fantasy, delivering emotional truth along with spectacular visual effects."

"Anchored by Andrew Garfield's heartfelt performance as the lovably nerdy Peter Parker, this "Spider-Man" may not be amazing, but it's certainly good enough."

"It's an efficient piece of corporate film-making, but nothing more."

"The marketing has advertised this version as 'The Untold Story' of Spider-Man's origin. To me, it felt a lot more like the retold story."

"Graced with great performances from Garfield and Stone, The Amazing Spider-Man is a rare comic-book flick that is better at examining relationships than superheroism."

"We're never far from romance or laughs, and at times 'The Amazing Spider-Man' feels like a romcom upgraded to include 3D and industrial cobwebs."

"Yet another generation will bear the Spiderman emblem on their lunchboxes and pencilcases, and there's no harm in that. With great power comes great responsibility -- and an endless franchise."

"This film's got one major issue that nothing can overcome, and that is a profound feeling of 'been there, done that."

"A paint-by-numbers pleasure: Boy meets girl, boy meets spider, spider meets world."

"Webb successfully treads a fine line between keeping the hardcore superhero-movie fans happy and injecting a dose of meaningful affect."

Last edited by webhead : 06-28-2012 at 01:46 AM.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhead

"Garfield plays Peter as more of a misunderstood outsider, a rebel with a chip on his shoulder, a guy who wasn't afraid to stand up to the class bully even before he underwent his transformation."

I really hate that. The nerdy Peter Parker who wishes he could stand up to the bullies and then gains the power to do so is more sympathetic and dramatic than what that sounds like.
But Raimi's Spider-man didnt explore that angle either really.

They took the fun out of the original comics. There was one where Flash Thompson challenges Peter to a boxing match--that was great.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
webhead
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelgy
I really hate that. The nerdy Peter Parker who wishes he could stand up to the bullies and then gains the power to do so is more sympathetic and dramatic than what that sounds like.
Yeah, I hate how Hollywood always feels the need to make changes to a recipe that obviously works. The changes to his costume in this film were completely unnecessary. Not all that thrilled about the other changes to the story, but I am planning on seeing this film anyway. Hopefully, it will have more hits than misses.

By the way, Kelgy: That's one large avatar you got there!

Old 06-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
Calabi
Frequenter

portfolio
Wobbleyou
London, United Kingdom

Quote:

They took the fun out of the original comics. There was one where Flash Thompson challenges Peter to a boxing match--that was great.

I prefer that to having the weak bullied nerdy guy suddenly getting powers and being strong and cool. It sounds, better if he had at least some of these traits beforehand. Its smells too much of the nerdy guys fantasy fullfillment the other way.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Karnart
portfolio
Carlos Navarrete
São Paulo, Brazil

But spider-man is the nerdy guy fantasy fulfillment.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Surrey, Canada

Quote:
By the way, Kelgy: That's one large avatar you got there!

Oops. That was Bigs Bunny not Bugs Bunny.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
Calabi
Frequenter

portfolio
Wobbleyou
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnart
But spider-man is the nerdy guy fantasy fulfillment.

Yeah but if you just have the nerdy bullied guy getting superpowers you just end up with something like the Chronicle happening. If he has some strength and integrity beforehand then he comes across as a more plausible hero, and your not wandering if and when he loses his powers whether he will go crying to his mommy.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
webhead
Expert

Spider-Man cry? Never!

Old 06-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Surrey, Canada

That's overthinking the concept.
But why stop there--make him a karate expert or military cadet before the spider bite--so many possibilities to have him different from classic Spider-man.

If he stands up to the bullies before his transformation then it robs the story of the stuff where he has to deal with it afterwards.
All the dramatic tension is lost because now he will just punch out Flash Thompson and call it a day.

When he did lose his powers in the comics he was humiliated-I dont know if he cried but he moped a bit--and then he gets it back and it makes the return all the more dramatic and fun.
But who wants fun in a comic book movie--make it gritty like Glengarry Glen Ross.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
webhead
Expert

Quote:
That's overthinking the concept.

Yeah, I don't think the character of Spider-Man needs a whole lot of tweaking. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. My favorite Peter Parker in the comics was during the John Romita, Sr years. He was a bookworm, but he wasn't a complete and total nerd. He wasn't the typical, macho hero type, but he wasn't a complete pansy either. I think there was just the right balance there to make his transformation into Spider-Man very believable.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Surrey, Canada

Quote:
My favorite Peter Parker in the comics was during the John Romita, Sr years.

I missed most of his run--they reprinted the first 20-30 stories in pocket book form but I only saw bits and pieces of Romita in the old Marvel Tales--although I did buy one early comic of his with the Lizard on the cover and it had Mary Jane introduced to PP's college friends.
I'll get to them sometime now that its easier to find them outside of a comic store back issue bin.

Ross Andru was the artist when I first started reading spider-man--the first comic I bought had him fighting the Tarantula.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #12
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

This is going to be a trillion times better than the crappy Raimi ones. You can tell that much from the trailer alone. I can't wait to see it.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
webhead
Expert

Quote:
I missed most of his run...I'll get to them sometime now that its easier to find them outside of a comic store back issue bin.
I highly recommend reading all of the Romita,Sr./John Buscema/Gil Kane Spider-Man comics in order. For me, that was Spider-Man.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #14
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Surrey, Canada

Quote:
I highly recommend reading all of the Romita,Sr./John Buscema/Gil Kane Spider-Man comics in order.

It goes without saying I would read them in order. I hate reading such things out of chronological order.

I dont think I even read all the last Ditko ones

Old 06-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #15
flipnap
Pepperoni Pizzza

it was way to early for a reboot.

God- "nietzsche is dead"

Thread Closed share thread