V-ray / V-ray RT

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #1
V-ray / V-ray RT

Okay, the whole world is talking how great Vray is and I've seen lots and lots of work rendered using Vray. I'm sure everyone have their own preferences and working style, some more knowledgeable in MR or VR.

As a registered lecturer and tutor, I'm eligible to get the academic V-ray license for US$104, in which I already contacted the re-seller in Hong Kong about the ins and outs to strike a deal. Before I do that, I need your opinion, from those who know Vray well and can give me a solid opinion.....

I tried to download Vray demo for Maya 2013 since this is the version I'm using, but unfortunately they don't have it released yet, so I can only wait for now.

I mainly do characters and currently am working on my Alien Nano, his body and the environment... while also thinking on the story for the animation short as I go and I'm so eager to do (previously the cowboy but changed the direction to what I want to produce to sci fi).

I'm especially very interested on the Real Time Preview. So, how is V-ray RT working for you? Specially, does it support SSS preview? Does it show Mirror / Glasses reflections ? How fast really is based on your experience with ....MR ?

Any other suggestions / opinions are certainly most welcomed.

Thank you.

Old 06 June 2012   #2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iskkHKT5IY8

Old 06 June 2012   #3
Originally Posted by Tamagoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iskkHKT5IY8

Nice video. Thanks.

Does SSS results also shows in RT?

Old 06 June 2012   #4
yah I believe it does, theres no difference other than it is rendered with gpu cores and not cpu

Old 06 June 2012   #5
V-Ray RT can even support motion blur now. You will need a fairly recent Graphics card to get good performance using Vray RT with the GPU. You can choose to use your GPU or CPU to calculate with Vray RT. I use an ATI Firepro V5800 and it's very slow with Vray RT, so I must use CPU only, but it's still very responsive. I love it!

I used Vray 2 (Academic version) with Maya for 6 months. I then upgraded to a full commercial licence (but for Max). Having used Vray with Maya and Max, I like it a lot better in Max. This is just my opinion and experience with it, though. The viewport preview in Maya is not very accurate, and I could not get Vray materials to work with Viewport 2.0. Because of this, I used Vray RT all the time with Maya so I could get see what the materials and lights would look like.

It sucks to hear that Vray isn't out for Maya 2013 yet, and does not support Viewport 2 (please correct me if I am wrong), but Vray/Maya did have PTEX support well before Vray/Max did so i think that makes up for it.

I think an EDU licence is a steal at $104 and you have the option to upgrade to a commercial one for a massive discount later on if you want to. Once I shifted to Vray I never looked back. The learning curve is very small, you can get great looking renders almost straight away and most of your knowledge after that will just be in making your renders shorter!

I also found that Vray for Max & Maya had almost the same workflow/UI on both programs, and I imagine it would be similar on Cinema4D, XSI and all the other packages they support. It's well supported so I think investing time in Vray is a much better idea than mental ray now!

Old 06 June 2012   #6
I use gtx 570 and get decent speeds. I could only imagine rendering with 690 or maximus.. even makes my mouth water.

Old 06 June 2012   #7
Originally Posted by MichaelWBell: It sucks to hear that Vray isn't out for Maya 2013 yet, and does not support Viewport 2 (please correct me if I am wrong)
Only partly We do have builds for Maya 2013 on our website since a long time now.

Best regards,
Vlado

Old 06 June 2012   #8
Originally Posted by Tamagoo: yah I believe it does, theres no difference other than it is rendered with gpu cores and not cpu

actually, V-Ray RT renders SSS very differently than the V-Ray final render. It's a limitation that's being worked on. It basically looks like a dead body in RT because it's not doing SSS.

I don't even bother with RT GPU - it's still so limited for what shader nodes it supports. As soon as you use a facing ratio util in Maya, it breaks. That still works in CPU RT.

But V-Ray is great. Great support and solid all around. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Last edited by cgbeige : 06 June 2012 at 01:20 AM.

Old 06 June 2012   #9
Originally Posted by cgbeige: actually, V-Ray RT renders SSS very differently than the V-Ray final render. It's a limitation that's being worked on. It basically looks like a dead body in RT because it's not doing SSS.

I don't even bother with RT GPU - it's still so limited for what shader nodes it supports. As soon as you use a facing ratio util in Maya, it breaks. That still works in CPU RT.

But V-Ray is great. Great support and solid all around. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Just curious, how you generally find Vray RT? Last time I tried it (1-2 years ago), it didn't load complex scenes, only teapots... Also it loaded scenes very long. I have 1GB RAM videocard, gtx 460, but it worked quite similar in speed to my quad core Q6600, which is quite an outdated processor. I hear many people say they use RT for preview just fine, perhaps I'm just unlucky with it.

Old 06 June 2012   #10
vrayRT is limietd and buggy in comparison to the final render. It is however essential to my lighting workflow now. I use it for the initial lighting pass on grey shaders, if I get too complex and It will shut down on me.

Old 06 June 2012   #11
Originally Posted by mister3d: Just curious, how you generally find Vray RT? Last time I tried it (1-2 years ago), it didn't load complex scenes, only teapots... Also it loaded scenes very long. I have 1GB RAM videocard, gtx 460, but it worked quite similar in speed to my quad core Q6600, which is quite an outdated processor. I hear many people say they use RT for preview just fine, perhaps I'm just unlucky with it.

It depends on how complex your scene is. As for loading slowly, if you have a lot of textures that will bog it down a lot. In fact, if it had to load more than 1GB into the video memory then it wouldn't be able to use the GPU at all and would have to run off the CPU. Which could have been the case.

1GB doesn't go far especially considering that you'll likely have Windows plus your 3D program running at the same time.

Old 06 June 2012   #12
GPU hasn't really worked well for me at all, I just leave it on the default CPU setting and it's fine and fast enough for my purposes.

Old 06 June 2012   #13
As a comparison in iRay, I had a test scene rendering to a certain level--with CPU only (i7 960) it took like 50 seconds to complete. Turning on 1 GPU (GTX 560 2GB) dropped that to 11 seconds. Turning on 2 GPU's dropped it to 9 seconds.

Old 06 June 2012   #14
I really like V-Ray RT but I don't use the GPU mode mostly because of lack of stability and since I use a lot of Maya blend/multiply/+- utilities, it basically bars me from using the OpenCL mode for lack of support. But RT CPU's support of those is good and I made a utility to use RT when building shaders:

http://polygonspixelsandpaint.tumbl...ost/22051289771

Old 06 June 2012   #15
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread