CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #61
grrinc
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by leif3d
I thought this thread would already be full of comments on why Dredd 3d was one of the biggest flops of the year. It only made 6.3 million this weekend in the US. It debuted in number 6 with absolutely no competition...
Anyone care to explain?!

I'd guess that it is an old franchise that may of missed the target. Young folk care little for it, old fans have out grown it. Both my nephews had no intention of seeing it and never bought into the idea at all - I paid for their ticket and they ended up loving it. I'm guessing poor promotion too.

It's a shame, but it may still make it's money yet.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:25 AM   #62
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabi
Its basically an independant made film and it didnt rip off The Raid its impossible for them to have done so. Dredd has a huge amount of history.

It was a good film. Dredd was Dredd this time. It was visually compelling, worth seeing on the big screen. The music was great as well. Almost every review is basically saying its good, what is the matter with people.

My thoughts are that: "It just wasn't big enough".

It's like how "Quantum of Solace" would have tanked if the audience knew going in that the entire ordeal was just about Bolivian Water.

In Dredd's case everybody knows it's just about attacking a building.

It isn't even like the way Temple of Doom was marketed where the building itself was a source of mystery and that some "secret is inside".

No hook... and scale not big enough.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:00 AM   #63
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Saw the flick and loved it.

Considering that the movie is a medium budget affair I am willing to give it a pass in terms of its scope.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 09-25-2012, 04:03 AM   #64
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz
Considering that the movie is a medium budget affair I am willing to give it a pass in terms of its scope.

Rhetorical question: If you have medium budget but intentionally revert to using "near old school" methods that are rated at an earlier point in time (and in theory cost less today)... can you then put some scale back into a picture?

Not to slag off on Dredd btw.... As regardless of what I think of the lack of scale, at the end of the day the amount of scale in Dredd is "by design" and works around assumptions they had for budget and what could be delivered.

My question is more exploratory in nature.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #65
Latos

Miran Dilberovic
Student
Dubrovnik, Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
Rhetorical question: If you have medium budget but intentionally revert to using "near old school" methods that are rated at an earlier point in time (and in theory cost less today)... can you then put some scale back into a picture?

Not to slag off on Dredd btw.... As regardless of what I think of the lack of scale, at the end of the day the amount of scale in Dredd is "by design" and works around assumptions they had for budget and what could be delivered.

My question is more exploratory in nature.

I think you just have to go and see the film. you will not question the scope of the movie, rather enjoy almost all aspect of the film. an yes, go and see it in 3d. rookie Anderson interrogating criminal is enough for price admission alone.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #66
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latos
I think you just have to go and see the film. you will not question the scope of the movie, rather enjoy almost all aspect of the film. an yes, go and see it in 3d. rookie Anderson interrogating criminal is enough for price admission alone.

Ah OK... But I think you misunderstood my post.

First of all I do plan to go see Dredd. And no, Scale or Size of Action doesn't bother me necessarily.
I just felt that maybe for the majority of the film-going public they felt the Scale was too small for them and that hurt the Marketing. In spite that, it's possible that it's a good film.

As a single piece I can easily put Dredd and The Raid together and see how these things work.

My question was more about in-theory.... if there was such a thing as increasing Scale by going backwards in Methodology. (again, unrelated to Dredd).

Old 09-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #67
Calabi
Frequenter

portfolio
Wobbleyou
London, United Kingdom

I dont think there was much marketing. Thats what some people seem to be indicating was the problem. Plus the shadow of stallone looming over it.

Jack Carter had plenty of scope that flopped. Maybe if they had been a bit more viral with the advertising. Left more to the imagination.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #68
BigJay
Mostly Harmless
portfolio
Jason McAlpin
Zbrushling
Chaiboy Studio
Brooklyn, USA

Send a message via AIM to BigJay Send a message via MSN to BigJay Send a message via Yahoo to BigJay
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
Ah OK... But I think you misunderstood my post.

First of all I do plan to go see Dredd. And no, Scale or Size of Action doesn't bother me necessarily.
I just felt that maybe for the majority of the film-going public they felt the Scale was too small for them and that hurt the Marketing. In spite that, it's possible that it's a good film.

As a single piece I can easily put Dredd and The Raid together and see how these things work.

My question was more about in-theory.... if there was such a thing as increasing Scale by going backwards in Methodology. (again, unrelated to Dredd).

I think the trailers for Dredd sucked, they did a butcher job trying to make it seem campy like the stallone version. With luck the word of mouth will keep people going to see it.

The other problem is it looks like The Raid. So people will probably just write it off.

It reminds me of when The Matrix came out. It was so good that most people wrote off Equilibrium. I know I did. it seemed like another post apocalypse movie with a bad name.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #69
Steve Green
Reworking my Reel
Steve Green
Freelance 3D Artist
United Kingdom

I'd love to know how many people actually saw the Raid, (who actually paid to see it)

Seemed to not really make that much, yet it's brought up as an example - certainly by reviewers, but for the general cinema-goer I don't think it had much effect.

I seemed to remember quite liking Equilibrium at the time, the Matrix gun-kata thing was probably over-egged, like it was more of an intentional 'Like the Matrix, you'll like this' attempt.

Whether that backfired or not I don't know...

Old 09-27-2012, 02:33 AM   #70
azazel
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Andrzej Sykut
Freelancer
Platige Image
Cracow, Poland

I have to say, I didn't like this new Dredd. Wanted to, but for me, it didn't work.
- The shallow DOF was really annoying in 3d. It would look really well in 2d, though.
- The design of the bike was crap.
- Somehow, it felt static and slow, despite the action.
- The violence was whatever, because it was happening to random unknown characters...
- There was not enough world building - the megacity was there, but was not a living breathing place.
- I know it's a simple movie, but at least some complexity in the characters would be nice to see. For all he was, Dredd could have been a robot... which brings me to a conclusion. I can't stop thinking that Dredd looks like a failed attempt to make a Robocop-like movie, missing out the parts that Robocop nailed so well.

There were some good points, the prisoner guy was probably the best actor in there. The gatling sequence, and few other as well. Quite a bit of unused potential - maybe a different editing approach could make it work?

Old 09-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #71
Steve Green
Reworking my Reel
Steve Green
Freelance 3D Artist
United Kingdom

I actually quite liked the shallow DOF, it seemed to help somewhat with hunting around for the focus I sometimes get in a 3D film.

I thought the editing was fine personally.

As for Robocop, Robocop was 'inspired' by the comic - the story goes that the creators of Robocop were trying to get the licence to do Dredd in the early 80s, failed and it became Robocop.

Dredd has little personal life outside the Law, he is little more than a law machine. Robocop just took that concept and made him literally a machine.

This is from the Flesh and Steel documentary on the Robocop DVD showing an early sculpt. Obviously looking at the helmet you can see an influence.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #72
azazel
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Andrzej Sykut
Freelancer
Platige Image
Cracow, Poland

Steve, I didn't know that. It all makes so much sense now... Thanks.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #73
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel
Steve, I didn't know that. It all makes so much sense now... Thanks.

The irony is that, acording to the leaked script, they are going to focus more on Robocop romantic life. I believe his wife has a bigger role in this version.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 09-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #74
Steve Green
Reworking my Reel
Steve Green
Freelance 3D Artist
United Kingdom

No worries, I love Robocop but it's a shame that it being made had a knock on effect on Dredd.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #75
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

Its possible Robocop was inspired by Judge Dredd but in the mid 80s comic book movies werent popular in Hollywood--I recall that didnt happen until after Batman in 89.
Far less likely that UK comics were big in Hollywood and being agressively sought after by producers.
I dont think Dredd was getting much distribution in North America until it was being released in collected form around 88.
When Robocop came out I dont remember anyone saying: "that's just like Judge Dredd" since no one had heard of it.

Paul Verhoeven may have known of it, but the tone of the original script had the weird satire already.

Thread Closed share thread