New Judge Dredd Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #46
There's a pretty reasonable argument to be made that they were restricted with what they could with the city by the vehicles, but yeah I really would like to see them take another crack at the bike, I thought it looked better in the concepts than the finished thing.

If they'd pushed the city further it would have made the vehicles look even more out of place.

It was a choice between vehicles and slomo, and considering how small a part the city plays, I think they made the right choice, considering they only had $45m to play with (and $15m of that was reportedly the 3D)

I really enjoyed it, it just made a change from the usual and yeah, I could have handled a bit more MC-1 craziness as well, but we got a good Dredd film, which is more than what we had after the Stallone version.

Old 09 September 2012   #47
Originally Posted by Steve Green:
I really enjoyed it, it just made a change from the usual and yeah, I could have handled a bit more MC-1 craziness as well, but we got a good Dredd film, which is more than what we had after the Stallone version.

+1

Also, I took my 2 nephews who loved it and are now Judge Dredd fans. It was nice to be able to fill their keen ears with Dredd Lore on the way home. I forgot so much over the years and enjoyed re living it all again.

One very small thing that irked me....

***********SPOILER ALERT**************

When he passed Anderson at the end. One of the things I loved about Dredd was how he was a total git about doing absolutely every thing by the book and without emotion - even to the point of inconveniencing himself.

Old 09 September 2012   #48
Judge dredd looks bad. Will not waste money to see
it at all.

Old 09 September 2012   #49
Id just like to point out that this film got 90% on RT. Which for an action movie is quite something.

Compare that with the stallones dredd which got 15%.

Dont discount this film!

Old 09 September 2012   #50
Gotta say I had a good time watching this film. And this comes from a 2000AD fan of old. Tonally got it just right, thankfully nowhere near the stallone travesty. The effects were solid throughout, great camerawork, though I wish they'd held the side view at the climatic moment (hopefully people know what I mean without spoiling...) The bikes were bad (particularly the riding position), but Dredd kept his helmet on so I can forgive them that.

Hope to see a sequel!

Forgot to mention, this was the first 3D film that didn't give me a headache, I think due to the use of quite extreme DoF to direct the eye at all times, compared to something like Toy Story 3 where everything was too focused and layered, and I would drift around the scene.

Last edited by mattmos : 09 September 2012 at 02:04 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #51
I am in two minds about it. The clips I've see make it seem like a rip off of "The Raid" which was out less than a year ago. I'll have to go see the film to be sure, but I'm not getting that "Must go see it on opening weekend" feeling.

Hollywood copies of Non American films often don't work well, and the originals even with subtitles are often much better and more gritty. I seen an oldie DVD with Briget Fonda called "The Assasin" and one of my friends brought over the original called "Nikita". Wow what a difference, Nikita just had it all, where the remake was bland. "Let me in" was a poor remake of "Let the right one in". The actors did a good job but there was no feeling or athmosphere of scariness in the remake.
There are some exceptions though. The Hollywood remake of "Girl with the Dragon tattoo" was nicely done and the complicated plot a bit easier to follow, probably because it was in English language. So sometimes Hollywood does get it right.

Old 09 September 2012   #52
I think i'll wait till it's out and see it.

So far everyone who's seen it loves it. even critics gave it a thumbs up. so they must have gotten something right.

Has anyone seen The Raid and Dredd? how similar are they actually? Any thoughts?

I can't tell by the trailer how much they share although the last trailer with bullets going through people was pretty intense.

Old 09 September 2012   #53
A bit sick of the Raid comparisons to be honest, the script for Dredd was leaked on the net over 2 years ago and pretty much finished principal photography before the Raid started shooting (the Raid started shooting March 2011 and Dredd reshot an opening scene (I think) just before that in North London.

I haven't seen the Raid, but from conversations with people who've seen both, they're not that similar - Dredd is more John Carpenter meets Verhoeven, more gunplay than martial arts.

Old 09 September 2012   #54
Originally Posted by Dillster: I am in two minds about it. The clips I've see make it seem like a rip off of "The Raid" which was out less than a year ago. I'll have to go see the film to be sure, but I'm not getting that "Must go see it on opening weekend" feeling.

Hollywood copies of Non American films often don't work well, and the originals even with subtitles are often much better and more gritty. I seen an oldie DVD with Briget Fonda called "The Assasin" and one of my friends brought over the original called "Nikita". Wow what a difference, Nikita just had it all, where the remake was bland. "Let me in" was a poor remake of "Let the right one in". The actors did a good job but there was no feeling or athmosphere of scariness in the remake.
There are some exceptions though. The Hollywood remake of "Girl with the Dragon tattoo" was nicely done and the complicated plot a bit easier to follow, probably because it was in English language. So sometimes Hollywood does get it right.

Its basically an independant made film and it didnt rip off The Raid its impossible for them to have done so. Dredd has a huge amount of history.

It was a good film. Dredd was Dredd this time. It was visually compelling, worth seeing on the big screen. The music was great as well. Almost every review is basically saying its good, what is the matter with people.

Old 09 September 2012   #55
Actually THE RAID copied DREED.. There is along twisted tale of what actually happened.
(lets just say that the director of the Raid was offered Dreed.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 09 September 2012   #56
Just because both films are primarily set in a block, doesn't mean they are the same. One could say the same about 2 films set on the streets of New York. The location is just a plot device, that's all. See them both anyway. They are both very good movies for very different reasons.

As mentioned above, the 3d is some of the most impressive I have seen too. It was used very well indeed.

@mattmos - agreed.

Old 09 September 2012   #57
I'm glad to hear that the movie is good. Didn't get that vibe from the trailer.

Will watch it when it hits DVD...

Old 09 September 2012   #58
I saw Dredd this weekend

It was really good. The trailers don't do it justice...But they don't give away the ending like some trailers do so I guess that's the trade off. Everyone is great in it and Dredd follows the original idea of him not the Stallone version, which the trailer makes it seem like they tried to do with the "I am the law quote". Luckily the movie doesn't do the cheesy 1 liners and that line is taken completely out of context. It works better in the movie and I can only assume is a nod to the Stallone version but thats the only one.

As for the Raid vs. Dredd comparisons they only share the idea of a building but go in different directions. I've seen both and both are great movies for different reasons. Dredd doesn't have the crazy martial arts and chaotic energy of The Raid it's more controlled and intense.

So i'd recommend it.

As for the 3D there was only two spots at the beginning and end of the movie that it really stands out. Wish they had done more with it.

J

Old 09 September 2012   #59
I thought this thread would already be full of comments on why Dredd 3d was one of the biggest flops of the year. It only made 6.3 million this weekend in the US. It debuted in number 6 with absolutely no competition...
Anyone care to explain?!

Old 09 September 2012   #60
I think there's not a lot of comments because not a lot of people went to see it, which would explain the box office.

Regardless of positive reviews, people still have to want to see it. I was really interested in it, but not a movie I can get the Mrs. interested in, so have to wait. I think that's where it landed for a lot of folks, interested but not must-see.

Unfortunate though that a decently made movie for its target audience in the genre didn't do well.

Plan to go to LOOPER asap though. That has my full attention.

Thread Closed share thread