New Judge Dredd Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #31
Red face great hybrid

Originally Posted by JWRodegher: Geez, is there ANY movie thread where you don't mention Real Steel? What's with the comparison with every single movie around anyway? You're forcing it too much. We know you're in love with and that's fine. But really, compare everything with such an average movie doesn't make any sense at all. (Or maybe I'm mistaking you with Deeppaint?)

The trailer looks like most action movie trailers. Just add some "cool" suits and slo mo, oh wait, slo mo has become standard long ago...

Just another movie I might not even bother catching on tv.

Did I? Maybe subconsciously. Anyway, for a long time, film is either a) too cgi / actionish / almost nonsensical plot just to get profit Transformer / Avengers, or too art-ish, ala Black Swan / King's Speech.

I couldn't be bothered to watch Harry Potter / Lord Of The Rings yet. So I can't say much. To be frank, I am an avid reader of Roger Ebert, and prefer to rent DVDs, so that I can watch much more films compared to going out to the cinema (and many other factor).

Personally, it's hard for me to find a movie these days that managed to combine both - pop corn action, and personality. Even though the 2nd Batman is quite awesome, for me it cannot repeat the first one. Maybe to explosion-ish, gadget-try compared to the first one, where there is more emotion. Even though his girlfriend actually died in the 2nd movie, I was choked at the "what i do defines me" moment in the first movie more.

Maybe you missed the post where I specifically mention that Real Steel is going to be my yardstick of good movie (until something better comes). Before that it was the first new Batman.

It has cgi, it has emotion, it has multi dimensional, believe able character. And many other "small things" that we notice on second viewings.

Old 06 June 2012   #32
Originally Posted by THX1311: Good question Mate.

Interestingly when you factor in USD inflation
the 45 million spent on this new 2102 Judge Dredd
would have purchased nearly 68 million of production in 1995

$45,000,000.00 in 1995 had the same buying power as $67,837,274.55 in 2012.Annual inflation over this period was 2.44%.
$75,000,000.00 in 1995 had the same buying power as $113,062,124.25 in 2012.

Cheers
http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm/

Okay, but it's not just the inflation.

Technology and Skills have improved massively between 1995 and 2012. So it would seem they missed the balance.

What I'm saying is.... if 70 million dollars before got you a "Stallone edition Judge Dredd"....today around 10 million dollars gets you the alien invasion film "Skyline". Skyline, as it were, having the scale to match.

So... what I'm saying is the money number doesn't explain everything.

Old 06 June 2012   #33
Quote: "Okay, but it's not just the inflation.

Technology and Skills have improved massively between 1995 and 2012. So it would seem they missed the balance.

Well I dont know the particulars of how this newest iteration of "Dredd" Was financed. So I wont speculate on what other factors may have added to their production costs.

Cheers

Old 06 June 2012   #34
Originally Posted by THX1311: Well I dont know the particulars of how this newest iteration of "Dredd" Was financed. So I wont speculate on what other factors may have added to their production costs.

Cheers

Well yeah, but more importantly, we don't know the details of the implementation. How soon they managed to nail down final look, final images.

How much testing was possible/implemented to make sure the suits looked proper on screen.

Of course, if you don't nail it for a long time... that becomes additional days looking for the proper image quality to nail it.....

But it could be any number of things.

I don't know... Dredd looks unfinished and the scale truncated. Just saying 45 million dollars doesn't explain very well why it looks like that....

Old 09 September 2012   #35
I guess I could start the official thread on Dredd but I'm not a huge fan...yet?, so I'll let someone else do that. Just thought some people might like to know about this.....consider me shocked as it seemed to be getting some hate on here for look and accuracy. I guess the old adage comes through again, 'never Judge a movie by the trailer'. hehehe

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd_3d/

Last edited by MrPositive : 09 September 2012 at 04:20 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #36
Well I don't like judging a film via Rotten Tomatoes either.

But if we're on the subject of reviewer feedback, I will wait for Roger Ebert's write-up of the film...

Old 09 September 2012   #37
Originally Posted by Darkherow: Don't like the thing about trying to get the bad guy who controls a building block, plot seems to be ripped off....

Yes and that Asian tower block version was only in the cinemas recently. It will be interesting to see if the new Judge Dredd film can cram enough interest into a basically all indoors movie.

Old 09 September 2012   #38
I've read that 3D added $15m to the cost.

I saw it last Thursday at a screening in London, held for the fans. Karl Urband and Alex Garland introduced it, and John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra were special guests.

I loved it, and to address various points.

The Raid... The script to Dredd was leaked online in 2010, way before the Raid started filming, and I'm pretty sure Dredd had finished filming before the Raid, it's only due to effects/any extra 3D conversion not covered by stereo rigs that delayed it.

The city - from the outset they were going for a more realistic take on Dredd, hence the toning down of the shoulder pads, and extrapolating the brutalist architecture of the location filming to the city blocks. There's not a huge amount of exteriors so they've spent their budget wisely.

The other film - The Stallone film didn't get the character of Dredd at all, the majority of 2000AD fans really don't like it much, and although it's visually accurate in places, the street level is pretty restrictive and repetitive, and the costumes so unwieldy that Sly can't wait to ditch the helmet and pads, and it becomes a generic Stallone action film.

In this one, Urban is great, it's brutal, and there's a spot-on dynamic between Dredd and Anderson which the trailer doesn't convey. I really enjoyed it and it went down fantastically well with the fans.

Old 09 September 2012   #39
The movie is getting a great buzz, and the COMICCON screening went really well.

The clips of the flick remind me a lot of a cross between District 9 and Robocop in a good way.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 09 September 2012   #40
Yeah, there's definitely a D9 grungy thing going on, it also reminded me a bit of early John Carpenter - Escape from New York, Assault on Precinct 13.

The reviews have been averageing 4/5, which seems about right - although hard to be objective as I'm a massive Dredd fan, and there's even a bit of Minty graffiti in the film which was very nice of them.

Old 09 September 2012   #41
I'll just add that the film has a great team in charge of production, writing and directing so no surprise its doing well. Was fun to work on, and expect ultra violence!

- My thoughts are my own and should not be confused with anyone else's.

Last edited by vfx : 09 September 2012 at 09:45 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #42
Originally Posted by Steve Green:
I saw it last Thursday at a screening in London, held for the fans. Karl Urband and Alex Garland introduced it, and John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra were special guests.

NO NO NO NO NO!!! How the hell did I miss this??!! I loved the artwork of this fellow - more so on Strontium Dog. I must say that although I too had some doubts about this film, I am secretly pleased that it may do well after all. I liked the SlySta version too, even though it never actually ticked all the right boxes.

Now I'm hyped again.

Old 09 September 2012   #43
Yeah his style suits the dusty western stylings of Strontium Dog so much. They did a treatment for Stront about 12 years ago for a TV Pilot but nothing ever came of it.

It was great to see him, he was ill a while back and got a massive round of applause when he walked in.

I'm hoping Dredd is a success and it kickstarts some interest in other stories.

I've been really impressed with the way Alex and co. have credited John and Carlos, and they get a proper credit, not buried beneath the caterers.

Old 09 September 2012   #44
http://cghub.com/images/view/301093/
http://cghub.com/images/view/304616/

Last edited by ienrdna : 09 September 2012 at 06:14 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #45

I saw this last night. The bikes didn't work in my opinion, they looked out of place and slightly dated in design.

Back to the film - I enjoyed it a lot although I'll wouldn't go so far as saying it was awesome. Mega City One needed to be played up a bit more - the sheer scale and absurdity went unnoticed. It was too 'normal'.

The cast were worked very well and my initial disappointment at the uniform was soon dispelled when everything was seen in context. The 'slow mo' drug effect wasn't too much of gimmick either - it was used sparingly and looked amazing and surreal.

Judge Death for the sequel please.

Thread Closed share thread