New Judge Dredd Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2012
This is an early Dredd. The rookie is Anderson, and the city is way before its a megacity. So they have used their budget wisely. I agree with the helmet and some of the design, but I will give it a chance as I feel it's dna is closer to the comics.

MY HMC

06 June 2012
The plot appeals to me. I looks like they could easily set this up for a series franchise, depending on how successful this one is I suppose. The environment/design looks great. This is the kind of film that could deliver some profound sociopolitical commentary, something of substance with the eye candy, but I'm going to go into it expecting nothing less than mindless testosterone-fueled blow-shit-up action.

06 June 2012
Wink ummm yeah....

Originally Posted by Kabab: Looks like they copied "The Raid"....

I don't know which made first, although now we know which was released first. But the trailer....sigh.... The Raid indeed. The drugs, the really tall building, reinforced, the middle of building have large area thingy, the cctv, sigh.

I hope they bring something new to the table though.

There are 7 original things in this world, people said. But you can make a lot of music out of the basic musical notation, E and the rest.

Even Real Steel is awesome despite some people are saying Rocky with robots.

06 June 2012
What a pile of steaming crap! I think I'm going to stick with the Sylvester Stallone version. Only because the comic relief was a "comedian" and not the lead.

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by fablefox: Even Real Steel is awesome despite some people are saying Rocky with robots.

Geez, is there ANY movie thread where you don't mention Real Steel? What's with the comparison with every single movie around anyway? You're forcing it too much. We know you're in love with and that's fine. But really, compare everything with such an average movie doesn't make any sense at all. (Or maybe I'm mistaking you with Deeppaint?)

The trailer looks like most action movie trailers. Just add some "cool" suits and slo mo, oh wait, slo mo has become standard long ago...

Just another movie I might not even bother catching on tv.

06 June 2012
I found the first on-set pictures released a year ago quite cool but this looks surprisingly amateurish, more like a fan flick.

Last edited by TheDistiller : 06 June 2012 at 10:05 AM.

06 June 2012
First Total Recall now Judge Dredd- are we seeing remakes of all Stallone and Schwarzenegger but this time with actual actors? Although I gotta say the Judge Dredd remake looks horrendous! Like worse the made for SciFY

06 June 2012
ugh. it is way to close to the raid. I hope there is more to this movie than just a raid on a building. I'll give it the benefit of a doubt that it is just a segment of the movie until I see more. Look wise the old movie was right on. this looks like they tried to tone it down dark knight style to bring it more into reality. I'm not sold on it yet.

06 June 2012
Judge Dredd trailer (1995)

Definitely it seems there was a larger sense of scale in the 1995 picture.

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Judge Dredd trailer (1995)

The budget for Stallone's Dredd was $70m in 1995 dollars.

This 2012 one is $45m in 2012 dollars.

Pretty major difference, even if VFX are cheaper and there's no big name star(s) in this one.

I still think the "Judge Minty" guys are doing it pretty well, even if they can't quite fill out the costumes as impressively. They definitely have the best helmets.

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by hypercube: The budget for Stallone's Dredd was $70m in 1995 dollars.

This 2012 one is $45m in 2012 dollars.

Pretty major difference, even if VFX are cheaper and there's no big name star(s) in this one.

I still think the "Judge Minty" guys are doing it pretty well, even if they can't quite fill out the costumes as impressively. They definitely have the best helmets.

It's not just the costumes.

45 million US dollars..... Where did the money go?
I mean, that's small, but the output looks more like... 25 - 35 Million Dollars.

If the cast cost 10 million USD though... then that's where it went I'm afraid.

You know, if you're down to one building? Then just off-load the value of the Judge Dredd property, I say. One-Building-Scale stories are very specific (Die Hard, Home Alone, etc.)

I don't think you can talk about a "City" wallowing in crime if you can only really show one building.

06 June 2012
I'll still see it, despite the cloned block look of the environments... The original megacity was far more curvy and varied, from memory.

I'd rather see Simon Harrison's punk styled Strontium Dog or Bisley's ABC Warriors though...

http://dogmatika.wordpress.com/2007...-retrospective/

Johnny Alpha as a scarred cat eyed mutant with his Robert Smith hairstyle would have been cool.

06 June 2012
yeah

Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Judge Dredd trailer (1995)

Damn, this trailer excited me more than then the new one from the remake.. go, Stallone, go

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: 45 million US dollars..... Where did the money go?

This is what I wonder more and more these days.
I'd like to examine the production costs for a big opera or theatrical show or musical and see how it compares in terms of rising production costs in those fields versus a couple of decades ago.

It seems like general film and tv production costs are sky rocketing and its getting harder to see that money spent on screen. Do other arts productions see the same kind of skyrocketing costs?
Is it really that expensive to make costumes that match the comics or are they forced to change them for legal reasons so as not to infringe on existing trademarks with the 95 version?

Oh well I consider the first 15 minutes of the 95 movie to be a mini Dredd movie ( until he takes off his helmet).

06 June 2012
Quote: "It's not just the costumes.

45 million US dollars..... Where did the money go?"

Good question Mate.

Interestingly when you factor in USD inflation
the 45 million spent on this new 2102 Judge Dredd
would have purchased nearly 68 million of production in 1995

$45,000,000.00 in 1995 had the same buying power as $67,837,274.55 in 2012.Annual inflation over this period was 2.44%.
$75,000,000.00 in 1995 had the same buying power as $113,062,124.25 in 2012.

Cheers
http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm/

Thread Closed share thread