Banned

portfolio
James Arndt
3D Artist
fatBOX Software
Ormond Beach, USA

Send a message via AIM to JamesArndt
Go Kart Web Demo

So I'm going to start working on a free to play web streaming Go Kart racing game. I want to stream it right off of my own site and monetize it with some small side ads. I will probably implement it into Facebook as well.
Anyways here is a starting scene for me using some of past car physics stuff..you'll notice it isn't a GoKart yet (I'm still busy setting that up).

Here's a link: http://www.jamesarndt3d.com/

This is where I will host the game (so I will test it this way as well)....hit the little button at the bottom called "Kart Race Experiment".

Old 06-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
japetus
3D Trickster

portfolio
Mike Hanson
3D Artist
[:|] Straightface Studios
Seattle, USA

Fun! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to trying this out as it progresses.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Looks cool. It needs that "hand brake", when you block front wheels (fast turning). I think you can make lots of money with it. Is it difficult to use unity?

Old 06-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
JamesArndt
Banned

portfolio
James Arndt
3D Artist
fatBOX Software
Ormond Beach, USA

It does need a handbrake where it just locks up the rear wheels and you can power slide...I think that's a very fun feature to be coming. Unity is extremely easy to use itself, but like any game development you're doing yourself, you must learn to do some simple scripting to do anything cool. I had to brute force learn scripting in Unityscript...a variation of javascript so it's easy for entry level and forgiving. I don't think it's very useful outside of Unity, but at least it's taught me some programming concepts.

As for this webplayer the great thing is...all I have to do is make another build, copy over that executable in Dropbox and it's instantly updated on the link to the new build. Dropbox also does some version control, so if I need to roll back for some reason I can. I love it. I am excited to get the Go Kart in there, get some good physics for it implemented (much more stiff/slidey feel). I would like to make the web page a bit more presentable too with a proper menu and such. Shouldn't be hard since I've got a couple of unused menu systems I've used in the past laying around. Multiplayer will be where it's at, and that will be a large thing to tackle.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
JamesArndt
Banned

portfolio
James Arndt
3D Artist
fatBOX Software
Ormond Beach, USA

Update:

http://www.jamesarndt3d.com -

Follow the button at the bottom of the page called "Kart Race Experiment". I was successful at transferring all of the physics and stuff over from the stand-in Mustang. I've implemented the working speedometer on it's new rigidbody. Also you'll notice I got the wheel and steering linkage working with the turning of the vehicle. This was accomplished by triggering a hold animation for left and right turning when you hit the "A" key or the "D" key. I created set driven keys in Maya, set up a NURBS control for turning the linkage/steering wheel and baked out 8 frame animations for both turn angles. Next task is to get some raycast AI working on the scene (I'm going to have to throw a few hundred more meters of ground in there).

Old 06-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
Patrick210
Frequenter
portfolio
Patrick Tuten
Graphic Artist
Tuten Graphics
Orlando, United States

I get an "unsupported browser" message when I try to access it. IE9 64 bit.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
Bullit
Lord of the posts

With Opera 12rc works. The keys forward,brake/rear are non conventional. Also think it sould a bit faster.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
JamesArndt
Banned

portfolio
James Arndt
3D Artist
fatBOX Software
Ormond Beach, USA

@Patrick210 - Will fail on Internet Explorer 9 x64 version ("Unsupported browser error.") You have to run IE9 in 32 bit mode I have found out... since it's only a 32 bit supported Unity plugin at this time. That's completely out of my control and hopefully the Unity folks sort that out by the time I actually intend to release something.

@Bullit - Good point...you've found my first freaking bug! I didn't adjust the input controls for the arrow keys to be proper yet...I only setup the WASD keys, which are set up for conventional controls. I agree with it should have a more "cartish" acceleration.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

This would be a lot more fun to play with if the flat groundplane were larger, and were turned into more 3 dimensional terrain with ups, and downs, and maybe some jumps et cetera.

The Go Kart itself looks pretty good. Nice steering animation and realtime shadow.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
JamesArndt
Banned

portfolio
James Arndt
3D Artist
fatBOX Software
Ormond Beach, USA

Well right now it is just demoing the kart itself. I haven't started on any level terrain yet. I did have to put down a collision plane so a user could drive the kart though.

Would like to emulate something like this.

http://vimeo.com/19421942

Last edited by JamesArndt : 06-11-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
JamesArndt
Banned

portfolio
James Arndt
3D Artist
fatBOX Software
Ormond Beach, USA

Integrated new speed-based vehicle handling (not sure how accurate it is yet)..but basically your steering becomes less sensitive the faster you go. I've also got a new sound manager working. You have engine sounds based on RPMs, you have a wind passing by you sound based on velocity. The sounds are not fully looped yet in Audacity, so you will hear some pops. I've also implemented a camera shake animation on the cameras based on velocity as well. It's starting to feel really cool.

Here is the updated webplayer: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16956434/Ka.../Kart_Race.html

Old 06-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
Patrick210
Frequenter
portfolio
Patrick Tuten
Graphic Artist
Tuten Graphics
Orlando, United States

James,
I'm currently working on the design for an expansion of an amusement park in Orlando, Fun Spot Action Park ( next year to become Fun Spot America). We're tripling the size of our existing park near Universal and one of our main attractions is multi-level go kart tracks. The image is my 3D model of the park including the expansion. The grey tracks at the bottom right are the go karts. The red, yelow & blue edged tracks are existing and the green one will be new. I was wondering if you would be interested in talking about creating a virtual version of our tracks that people could drive on our website. I don't know what the budget would be, or if you can make it work on different levels with banks or not. Just thought it might be a cool idea to look into.

Larger image:
http://tinyurl.com/7apwupd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FSAM Plot 41 south sm.jpg (60.9 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Patrick210 : 06-12-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Your new demo reminds me of the classic game "Buggy Boy" for Commodore 64:

http://www.classiconlinegames.nl/co...-64/1-buggy-boy

If you've never played it, give it a try. It was a great game for its time.

Maybe it can give you some ideas on how to make your game more fun.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #14
JamesArndt
Banned

portfolio
James Arndt
3D Artist
fatBOX Software
Ormond Beach, USA

@Patrick210 - That's a very cool looking concept. I'm familiar, I live over in Ormond Beach not too far from Orlando. Your idea is very doable. You have a couple of solutions to the problem of overlapping track areas. First you could constrain the camera to only be a driver camera...the rider would walk on up to the kart, strap in and you would have a first person view of the driving. The second option would be to include and overhead camera as well, but to use a script on the camera that would sort've "x-ray" the upper tiers of track while you are driving on the lower sections. It's something natural people have played in games in the past, i.e. the new Super Mario Bros. when you go behind hidden walls. The other issue of asking about the track and banked turns, bumps, etc. That's very easy to do in the creation of any track. My demo is flat right now, but as I work on the environment it will get more bumps and probably some banking in the turns. It's very WIP right now. We could definitely talk, I'm currently looking for new freelance projects. My direct email is arndtjam@aol.com if you want to shoot me an email.

@DePaint - I went over and checked that out...cool retro C64 game. I've never played the game (I started out on an Atari 2600). I'll play it some more and try and glean some stuff from it...thanks for the reference point.

PS - I've fixed a bug I simply forgot to fix before which was the keyboard arrow input keys being reversed for forward and backwards motion.

Last edited by JamesArndt : 06-12-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #15
Patrick210
Frequenter
portfolio
Patrick Tuten
Graphic Artist
Tuten Graphics
Orlando, United States

Sounds good, let me talk with marketing and the owner and I'll get back with you.

Thread Closed share thread