Prometheus - the reviews are as split as John Hurt's chest

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by DSW: Most of them he presented as questions. COULD they be? I don't ever recall in reading his books where he said this is FACT. And I find it amazing that so many people such as yourself get on your high horse and think you are so much brighter than ANYONE who considers such theories. It boggles my mind that there are so many closed minds. To think that you KNOW the truth is absolutely the height of arrogance. I certainly don't know, but I love hearing the QUESTIONS of "what if?"

Presenting an idea as a question doesn't make that idea any more valid. I wonder if you're familiar with the idea of loaded questions? The classic example is the question "when did you stop beating your wife?"
Chariots of the gods is not based on facts or sound arguments. Arguments like "this cave painting has a circular head, space helmets are circular, therefore aliens" are just embarrassing; acknowledging that isn't being "closed minded", it's being rational. There's sooo much that's now known about the evolution of our species, I just find it tragic that so many people reject the science, or aren't aware of it, particularly since the science is so awe inspiring, to me it's much more awe inspiring than "aliensdidit", or "godidit".

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: don't be a silly goose.

Do you not remember that the original version of Blade runner was mind numbingly bad because the studio cut it to shit and added that idiotic voice over?

Almost no one likes remembering that little detail, because thankfully the Director's cut is the one we will always remember.

http://youtu.be/TbXUzRL9MzA
just watch this and tell me you don't feel like punching the screen.

I don't mind being a silly goose (and covered in gravy). I enjoyed the original cut of Blade Runner when watching it as a youngster. It still inspired me.

06 June 2012
Thumbs up

WOW- can't wait to see this- such a heated argument over a movie not yet released so it must be a huge hit.

haven't seen this much animosity amongst the intellects since Avatar.

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by CKPinson: WOW- can't wait to see this- such a heated argument over a movie not yet released so it must be a huge hit.

It came out here last week Friday...

06 June 2012
Does anyone know of a site that is discussing this films plot? I'd like to get other takes on it because I am sure there must be stuff that I didn't get, even though I'm sure I did.

06 June 2012
This is quite possibly one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I considered walking out in the middle and asking for a refund it is that bad. It makes me sad because Alien and Aliens are two of my all time favorite movies.

How does writing like this get greenlit, do they not read this stuff on the paper and go "hey man, this is really dumb maybe we should get a better writer because nothing here make sense"

06 June 2012
I'm going to see this flick tonight, but the trailers make it hard to believe it's that bad. Unless the trailer editors are just really good?

Vimeo Videos
Daniel Broadway

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by gjpetch: Presenting an idea as a question doesn't make that idea any more valid. I wonder if you're familiar with the idea of loaded questions? The classic example is the question "when did you stop beating your wife?"
Chariots of the gods is not based on facts or sound arguments. Arguments like "this cave painting has a circular head, space helmets are circular, therefore aliens" are just embarrassing; acknowledging that isn't being "closed minded", it's being rational. There's sooo much that's now known about the evolution of our species, I just find it tragic that so many people reject the science, or aren't aware of it, particularly since the science is so awe inspiring, to me it's much more awe inspiring than "aliensdidit", or "godidit".

Dismissing this with sooo few examples considering there are MANY other items is "close-minded." I sincerely doubt that "science" at this time can adequately explain all of the "evidence" presented. Just because some SAY that they know how things were done does not make it true. Perhaps you can point me to convincing evidence as to the construction of "Puma Pumku" since I have yet to discover any that is conclusive. There are MANY other items and simply dismissing them because you have heard that "we know nearly everything" is just sad science - no better than Von Danikens assertions without proper science.

And there is sooo much that is NOT known about the evolution of our species as well. When I watch shows that talk about aliens I find them interesting and MANY times question their leaps from something simple to aliens. But not all of the things that are discussed are so easy to waive aside. Feel free to ridicule others with open minds and you can believe that we know how EVERYTHING was done in the past. You would be wrong, but please feel free to continue with that belief.

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by DSW: When I watch shows that talk about aliens I find them interesting and MANY times question their leaps from something simple to aliens.

tv shows? wut?

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by Daniel-B: I'm going to see this flick tonight, but the trailers make it hard to believe it's that bad. Unless the trailer editors are just really good?

I thought this was going to be the best movie of all time after seeing the trailer. Man was I wrong....

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: I thought this was going to be the best movie of all time after seeing the trailer. Man was I wrong....

That's a shame. Still, I'll go see it tonight at least for the visuals, and if I like anything else about it, that's a bonus. It's a shame to see a trailer for a movie like this, and see the potential, only to see it fall far short of what it could have been.

Vimeo Videos
Daniel Broadway

06 June 2012
just got back... I'm so confused...

Spoiler:

popquiz:
what does the black stuff do:
A: Disintegrates your body
B: Turns you into a zombie
C: Turns your babies into squids
D: makes you shrug off bullets like you're Robocop

Last edited by j00st81 : 06 June 2012 at 10:24 PM.

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by j00st81: just got back... I'm so confused...

Spoiler:

popquiz:
what does the black stuff do:
A: Disintegrates your body
B: Turns you into a zombie
C: Turns your babies into squids
D: makes you shrug off bullets like you're Robocop

They said that the engineers were there to experiment and make weapons of mass destruction on that planet cuz they werent dumb enough to do that on their own. they could have been experimenting all sorts of formulas. We got lots of liquids that are black too. Black paint, oil, etc. who's to say that the black liquid in the movie was always the same liquid.

Last edited by ambient-whisper : 06 June 2012 at 11:17 PM.

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by DSW: Perhaps you can point me to convincing evidence as to the construction of "Puma Pumku" since I have yet to discover any that is conclusive.

Ancient people had brains and hands with the same capacity as we have today, they weren't grunting morons, they were exactly like us. It's demeaning to those expert craftsmen to say that they couldn't have made impressive things.
I'd say that they brought the stone from a nearby quarry, and carved them using lots of people, lots of time, and expert masonry. The fact that we don't know the precise details does not mean aliens were involved, it just means that they didn't keep records. It's telling that no one argues that Parthenon (which is more ancient, and arguably more impressive than Puma Pumku) was made by aliens, because the ancient Greeks kept better records.

Originally Posted by DSW: Feel free to ridicule others with open minds and you can believe that we know how EVERYTHING was done in the past.

I'm not trying to ridicule you, or anyone else, I apologise if my words seem unkind. I never said that we know everything, I'm merely saying that the evidence for von Daniken's ancient astronauts doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by hypercube:

Is that Londo Molari??

Thread Closed share thread