Prometheus - the reviews are as split as John Hurt's chest

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06 June 2012   #46
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: don't be a silly goose.

Do you not remember that the original version of Blade runner was mind numbingly bad because the studio cut it to shit and added that idiotic voice over?

Almost no one likes remembering that little detail, because thankfully the Director's cut is the one we will always remember.

http://youtu.be/TbXUzRL9MzA
just watch this and tell me you don't feel like punching the screen.


Oh God, it's been a long time since I saw that film.

Regarding Prometheus, I am of the opinion that R Scott never quite had the full artistic control he liked to think he had. The film seemed to whiff of 'studio interference'
__________________
Posted by Proxy
 
Old 06 June 2012   #47
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: don't be a silly goose.

Do you not remember that the original version of Blade runner was mind numbingly bad because the studio cut it to shit and added that idiotic voice over?

Almost no one likes remembering that little detail, because thankfully the Director's cut is the one we will always remember.

http://youtu.be/TbXUzRL9MzA
just watch this and tell me you don't feel like punching the screen.


You can tell Ford hates every line he's saying...
I. Told her. I. loved. Her....She. Told. Me she...Lovd'metoo...
__________________
LEIF3D.com
 
Old 06 June 2012   #48
Originally Posted by grrinc: Regarding Prometheus, I am of the opinion that R Scott never quite had the full artistic control he liked to think he had. The film seemed to whiff of 'studio interference'


I dont think he goes into the movie blind. He made a Robin Hood movie-I doubt very much if given a choice he would have wanted to make yet another Robin Hood movie. He probably did it because he wanted the $$$ and they wouldnt finance anything else.
I suspect the same is the case with this.

At least with Bladerunner the studio cared about it--the narration was awful but they were trying to make it more palatable for audiences or catering to an old fashioned Mickey Spillane private eye sort of thing--nowadays they dont care about the movie as a story at all--sounds like the focus is on the marketing and product tie-ins.

This movie is rapidly going from one I was planning to see in a theater to one I may one day see on tv (like Indiana Jones 4) but I am in no hurry to watch.
And that had a chariots of the gods angle too didnt it?

The only movie I have seen where I liked the idea was Quatermass and the Pit--about an ancient alien spaceship found in a London subway and evidence that they were meddling with neanderthal men and became the basis for modern legends about demons and devils.
Maybe Von Daniken saw it or heard the radio version.
 
Old 06 June 2012   #49
Originally Posted by grrinc: Regarding Prometheus, I am of the opinion that R Scott never quite had the full artistic control he liked to think he had. The film seemed to whiff of 'studio interference'


I am wondering if the push to PG-13 and then back to R caused them to lose some threads in the edit that then weren't properly put back. Going to finally get our crew screening tomorrow, I am curious to see both what is missing right now, and if there is a possible director's cut later.

*Spoilerish*

Speaking of the edit, I wonder how much was hurt by being pre-spoiled as well. I was increasingly frustrated with just how much of the plot they put into all the trailers, even just the basic teasers, not just the super-spoiler TV spots. Even the fact that the juggernaut is a ship etc. that's all supposed to be a bigger reveal.

Hell I think there's even an international poster that shows the two ships colliding right on it.
 
Old 06 June 2012   #50
Arrow

Originally Posted by AegisPrime: You see, that didn't bother me - I was interested in the ideas behind the Engineers...

Oh, and a flute?? Seriously?? A ****ing flute??

One last thing:


Obviously, they want to destroy the human race because we're terrible flute players.
Blame Yanni for global annihilation.
 
Old 06 June 2012   #51
Originally Posted by leif3d: Seems to me like you had a critical view of Daniken's work (and who can blame you) before the movie came out, which didn't allow you to enjoy the ancient astronaut sci-fi when it was put on screen. I wonder if people who have never heard of such (ridiculous) theories will enjoy them movie a little more.

I'm hoping I can erase the crappy nonsense of Daniken's work and enjoy them movie for what it is: fiction.
If only that "ancient aliens" show hadn't gotten so popular...
oh how I've lost respect for the History channel...


It's so wonderful that YOU know the "Real Truth" of how we got here. And other theories - such as von Danikens - are "crappy nonsense." I don't believe the "crappy nonsense" of the Bible, but I don't put down everyone who believes it or show them disrespect.

Since you apparently KNOW everything, perhaps you can write a book and let us less knowledgeable people in on it?

And for those here who just can't stand another "human origins story" - too bad. I find the topic fascinating and while many here may feel it's been "done to death," again, too bad. If filmmakers want to tell that story, I say great, maybe they'll have an interesting take on it.

Unbelievable.
 
Old 06 June 2012   #52
Some positive and/or mixed reviews:

BBC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jyxZBuWSXM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...ing-review.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012...iew?INTCMP=SRCH

http://www.totalfilm.com/reviews/cinema/prometheus-1

http://moviecitynews.com/2012/05/re...s-spoiler-free/



-k


If you think it is just about von Daenikens punchline, his gag, then I disagree.
 
Old 06 June 2012   #53
Originally Posted by DSW: It's so wonderful that YOU know the "Real Truth" of how we got here. And other theories - such as von Danikens - are "crappy nonsense." I don't believe the "crappy nonsense" of the Bible, but I don't put down everyone who believes it or show them disrespect.

Since you apparently KNOW everything, perhaps you can write a book and let us less knowledgeable people in on it?

And for those here who just can't stand another "human origins story" - too bad. I find the topic fascinating and while many here may feel it's been "done to death," again, too bad. If filmmakers want to tell that story, I say great, maybe they'll have an interesting take on it.

Unbelievable.


I'm not an expert on this subject, but I still like sharing my opinion if you don't mind Mr. Hyperventilation...
Daniken has been legally convicted of fraud and forgery, for which he did jail time. It is well documented by many reputable scientists and archaeologists that most of the content in his books is nonsense, fiction and flat out fraud. Please do some reading...

I never said I know everything, but I know crap when I smell it...

BTW...I like ancient astronaut theories, but as entertainment...so I'll probably enjoy Prometheus.
__________________
LEIF3D.com
 
Old 06 June 2012   #54
Originally Posted by DSW: It's so wonderful that YOU know the "Real Truth" of how we got here. And other theories - such as von Danikens - are "crappy nonsense." I don't believe the "crappy nonsense" of the Bible, but I don't put down everyone who believes it or show them disrespect.

Since you apparently KNOW everything, perhaps you can write a book and let us less knowledgeable people in on it?

And for those here who just can't stand another "human origins story" - too bad. I find the topic fascinating and while many here may feel it's been "done to death," again, too bad. If filmmakers want to tell that story, I say great, maybe they'll have an interesting take on it.

Unbelievable.


Von Däniken published a series of his wild ideas and falsely presented them as valid theories without any evidence to back them up whatsoever. He's rightly considered a fool.
__________________
leighvanderbyl.com
 
Old 06 June 2012   #55
Ah forget Von Daniken, it's all about Giorgio Tsoukalos and his amazing hair nowadays.

 
Old 06 June 2012   #56
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: don't be a silly goose.

Do you not remember that the original version of Blade runner was mind numbingly bad because the studio cut it to shit and added that idiotic voice over?

Almost no one likes remembering that little detail, because thankfully the Director's cut is the one we will always remember.

http://youtu.be/TbXUzRL9MzA
just watch this and tell me you don't feel like punching the screen.


Same thing happened with Kingdom of Heaven. I didnt love it even after the directors cut but it was 100 times better than the original. There were some very good scenes in there that were completely cut.
 
Old 06 June 2012   #57
Originally Posted by leif3d: I'm not an expert on this subject, but I still like sharing my opinion if you don't mind Mr. Hyperventilation...

Okay... Mr. Know-It-All....
Originally Posted by leif3d: Daniken has been legally convicted of fraud and forgery, for which he did jail time. It is well documented by many reputable scientists and archaeologists that most of the content in his books is nonsense, fiction and flat out fraud. Please do some reading...

So you assume I don't do any reading? Perhaps you should read more yourself - the fraud had nothing to do with his concepts. That's like saying that because Einstein was a lousy husband, his theories are crap. Doesn't work.

Originally Posted by leif3d: I never said I know everything, but I know crap when I smell it...

And I'm smelling it now. But then that's your opinion, and not necessarily what everyone believes.

Originally Posted by leif3d: BTW...I like ancient astronaut theories, but as entertainment...so I'll probably enjoy Prometheus.

And I think that the Bible is great entertaining fiction. Considering the number of errors and omissions there are, I find it amazing that people are so taken in. And yet they are.
Originally Posted by leigh: Von Däniken published a series of his wild ideas and falsely presented them as valid theories without any evidence to back them up whatsoever. He's rightly considered a fool.

Most of them he presented as questions. COULD they be? I don't ever recall in reading his books where he said this is FACT. And I find it amazing that so many people such as yourself get on your high horse and think you are so much brighter than ANYONE who considers such theories. It boggles my mind that there are so many closed minds. To think that you KNOW the truth is absolutely the height of arrogance. I certainly don't know, but I love hearing the QUESTIONS of "what if?"

But please... continue using your superior knowledge in all things historical. I mean... since you know FAR more than any of us mere mortals.
 
Old 06 June 2012   #58
Originally Posted by hypercube: Ah forget Von Daniken, it's all about Giorgio Tsoukalos and his amazing hair nowadays.

And yes, it keeps getting wilder and wilder. Of course on the plus side, you don't forget it.
 
Old 06 June 2012   #59
Originally Posted by hypercube: Ah forget Von Daniken, it's all about Giorgio Tsoukalos and his amazing hair nowadays.



Soon he will be like this:

__________________
Personal: www.japetusproductions.com
Work:Straightface Studios

 
Old 06 June 2012   #60
Originally Posted by DSW: *But please... continue using your superior knowledge in all things historical. I mean... since you know FAR more than any of us mere mortals.


Wow, someone is taking things a little too personally. The fact is that Von Däniken lied, misrepresented facts and intentionally misled people with claims in his books. He cropped photos to leave out details which wouldn't suit his hypotheses, stole ideas from previous publications and presented them as his own, extrapolated theories from pseudoscience and made numerous outright fraudulent claims. This wasn't just some guy who was saying "what if?"; Von Däniken presented his fiction and dishonesty as supposedly researched fact. That's why he's rightly disregarded by the scientific community as a disgrace. This isn't me coming in here and waving around my "superior knowledge", this is the view of generations of credible scientists.

But of course you knew all that already, right? Of course you did.
__________________
leighvanderbyl.com
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.