Prometheus - the reviews are as split as John Hurt's chest

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #16
Originally Posted by leigh: Ugh. I saw it this afternoon and thought it was absolutely terrible. The VFX were fantastic though.

But wow, what a disappointment. Boring, nonsensical plot, shallow characters with no real motivations, and no real alien ass kicking action. I want my two hours back.

Interesting.. I saw it yesterday and I did enjoy it quite a lot actually. Visually it is one of the best scifi movies ever. What comes to story it was close what I thought it will be. I knew it was not going to be Alien movie so maybe it worked because I was not expecting one. Surely there were some really silly parts that went directly to WTF category and I would have left them out/changed them, but at the same time it felt that they have made too many cuts to make it shorter. I hope there is going to be longer cut with the blu-ray. It was not perfect (except visually) but it was not bad either.

Old 06 June 2012   #17
Looking at the trailer I thought the movie wouldn't be as good as it was made out to be... It was actually much worse than i expected. Plot holes all over the place, acting that was passable but nothing more, amazing visuals.... I couldn't find a single character in the movie that I liked and, for that matter, I couldn't understand anyone's motives. All and all, PANTS...

My online portfolio

Old 06 June 2012   #18
You guys are making me so sad :(

I have been looking forward to this movie more than any other movie.

Old 06 June 2012   #19
My Thoughts... SPoilers

Ok, so I just came back from watching the film, I had some initial wtf moments, and think if there is a directors cut, these can easily be dealt with. I was thinking about what I saw, and worked out some things. I could be wrong here but I thought I would spell out what I think was going on. There is quite a bit of second guessing here...

SPOILER---------------------------

Ok, so firstly, the planet this film is set on is not Lv426, but it is in the same system as that planet. The planet Lv422 is a military base for the Engineers, they have a mission to bomb earth with a substance that kills highly evolved humans (anything with a similar genome to the Engineers, including the Engineers) and enhances the speed of evolution in lower level species, basically removing the head of the food chain, so an ecosystem can start anew, or be implanted with the Engineers progeny again. Maybe humans got to smart too quick, and could threaten the Engineers, by finding them, or were too warlike or were not supposed to be spread over the worlds. But the Engineers decided to start over on earth, or all the planets where the new humans were. Something happened to prevent the attack, either it was called off or the outbreak on Lv422 stopped the attack. But the ships still had the evolution agent, and the humans found it and it spread again. The "alien" we see at the end that comes out of the engineer is similar to the aliens we know (that octopus thing is a proto face hugger), but the ones we know must come from the surviving human who makes it to Lv426 and crash lands there. On her ship there must be more sleeping Engineers, or the situation arises for that ship to get infested with an evolved species which we know as the alien. The distress signal must come from David via the alien ship, which is why its garbled, Weyland Yutani know something is up there now and send the Nostromo by to see what it is.

Anyway this is all speculation, it could be a big WTF, but I think there is defiantly another film that will bridge Prometheus to Alien in the pipline.

MY HMC

Old 06 June 2012   #20
Originally Posted by Airflow: Ok, so I just came back from watching the film, I had some initial wtf moments, and think if there is a directors cut, these can easily be dealt with. I was thinking about what I saw, and worked out some things. I could be wrong here but I thought I would spell out what I think was going on. There is quite a bit of second guessing here...

SPOILER---------------------------

Ok, so firstly, the planet this film is set on is not Lv426, but it is in the same system as that planet. The planet Lv422 is a military base for the Engineers, they have a mission to bomb earth with a substance that kills highly evolved humans (anything with a similar genome to the Engineers, including the Engineers) and enhances the speed of evolution in lower level species, basically removing the head of the food chain, so an ecosystem can start anew, or be implanted with the Engineers progeny again. Maybe humans got to smart too quick, and could threaten the Engineers, by finding them, or were too warlike or were not supposed to be spread over the worlds. But the Engineers decided to start over on earth, or all the planets where the new humans were. Something happened to prevent the attack, either it was called off or the outbreak on Lv422 stopped the attack. But the ships still had the evolution agent, and the humans found it and it spread again. The "alien" we see at the end that comes out of the engineer is similar to the aliens we know (that octopus thing is a proto face hugger), but the ones we know must come from the surviving human who makes it to Lv426 and crash lands there. On her ship there must be more sleeping Engineers, or the situation arises for that ship to get infested with an evolved species which we know as the alien. The distress signal must come from David via the alien ship, which is why its garbled, Weyland Yutani know something is up there now and send the Nostromo by to see what it is.

Anyway this is all speculation, it could be a big WTF, but I think there is defiantly another film that will bridge Prometheus to Alien in the pipline.

The movie takes place on LV-223... the whole plot is a lot 'ore complicated / sophisticated that that though.. A second viewing is recommended. BTW the next movie in the franchise (if there's ever one) is said to get even further away from the Alien franchise according to Scott... so no Prometheus-> Alien obvious bridging is expected. This is all about mankind, God etc..

Old 06 June 2012   #21
My biggest issue with the film is the characters - they were all really shallow and poorly developed, and any humour between any of them felt really forced. There was also absolutely zero chemistry between the two main scientists, despite them being a couple.

When they came down into the planet's atmosphere and we are shown this epic landscape, none of the characters showed any awe, nor did they for the remainder of the film, and that really bothered me. Here we are, as distant from Earth as any of them have ever been, on this incredible planet with these huge alien structures, and none of them seem to particularly care.

Noomi Rapace was terrible. She didn't have enough strength as a protagonist, and the religious nature of her character was totally contradictory and felt like it had been forced into the film for the sake of appeasing religious people in the audience who might feel upset at the suggestion that humans were created by an alien race (typical Hollywood move). Charlize Theron was abysmal. Guy Pearce's Weyland made no sense. Fassbender was great but his behaviour/story arc was predictable. The captain was cool but a wasted opportunity because we had so few scenes with him. There's something seriously wrong when an emotionless android is the most developed character in the film.

And then there's the story that's full of plot holes and inexplicable character motivations, made all the more confusing because of the lack of character development to give their actions any kind of behavioural context.

This wasn't just a poor Alien film, it's a poor film generally.

Old 06 June 2012   #22
Originally Posted by MAK: .. A second viewing is recommended...

I've heard this a number of times. And I'm sorry, it ain't good enough.

A story shouldn't need to be told twice for it to have the correct impact. If there is any ambiguity, then that is a failing of the director. Not a failing on the audience that get's addressed on multiple viewings.

I can see this becoming a tool to extract more money from folk.

Old 06 June 2012   #23
Originally Posted by grrinc: A story shouldn't need to be told twice for it to have the correct impact. If there is any ambiguity, then that is a failing of the director. Not a failing on the audience that get's addressed on multiple viewings.

I totally agree with this.

It seems Prometheus is a bit of a Marmite film. I went out with some friends last night, and while two of us had hated it, the other one had loved it. And the same thing seems to be coming out on Facebook today in discussions about the film. It was inevitable that such a highly anticipated film would invariably polarise opinions but I find it genuinely odd that people can enjoy a film despite what I feel are objectively poorly developed characters and a plot that's full of holes. Sure, the eye candy was incredible and there were a few memorable bits during the film (Shaw's medical procedure probably being the scene that most horrifyingly echoed the terror of the original Alien), but for me that's really not sufficient to excuse the film's flaws. If Scott brings out a director's cut, I may be curious to see it, but other than that, the film should not require repeated viewings in order to make sense of its muddled storytelling.

Old 06 June 2012   #24
Sadly, I have to agree with what Leigh and some others have said here.

Huge fan of Ridley Scott - huge fan of Alien and Bladerunner - also Black Rain and Gladiator and probably some other Scott films that I've forgotten I liked.

But this was terrible.

The story itself - what they were trying to do was cool but you can write it on the back of a napkin. Everything else was poorly contrived scenes shoehorned in there to pad out a 30 minute film.

The acting was uniformly abysmal (Fassbender excepted) - and a far cry from Dallas, Ripley, Kane, Parker and Brett in Alien. Seriously - what was Scott thinking? How in hell can you spend that kind of money on a feature film and hire the most inappropriate cast imaginable?

The dialogue was clichéd and just badly delivered - seriously, I went in there hoping for another Alien, knowing I'd be happy with something say as good as Gladiator and what I watched was a GI Jane.

My inner child is officially dead now - it's been on life support since Indiana Jones IV but dammit Scott you just finished the job...

*Edit* two more gripes I just remembered:

1) 3D added nothing whatsoever to this film - in fact, it's so badly handled you find yourself struggling to know where to focus at times.

2) The score is just plain bad, isn't remotely sensitive to what's happening on screen and just keeps pulling you out of the movie (the use of the original Alien theme was cute though - funky 70's disco version here )

Ugh.
www.survivorfilms.co.uk

Last edited by AegisPrime : 06 June 2012 at 08:24 PM.

Old 06 June 2012   #25
I don't know. Perhaps the general disappointment of the film lowered my expectations, but I thought it was above average - bordering on goodish. ( 7/10? )

Visuals were amazing of course and the engineers were beautiful for such a simple design.
Some terrible acting and cliched moments really stood out like a sore thumb and totally upset the tone of the movie. I can't believe these were signed off.

And at the risk of looking a complete dullard, was it just me or was the plot a lot simpler than folk are suggesting it is? That's not to say it was a particularly good plot - just not so convoluted as the film sells itself as.

Old 06 June 2012   #26
i've just saw the movie ! well i don't know what to think about it ! its really not a classic its really disapointing if we put ourselves in the expectation level of Alien , BUT the movie is not bad , the visual , the cinematography are really from an upper quality if we compare it to the comon blockbuster. i find fassbinder more than excellent , he carry all the tension of the movie , the rest of the cast is very disappointing except Noomie Rapace that i find really good , if we only judge her performance on acting and not on the cheesy dialogues ... the good news is that there is one Epic sequence in the movie ! the funny thing is that it happen in very small scale but i don't want to spoil ... in this sequence we really feel like in front of an alien movie : with the fear and the claustrophobia it imply ....

Old 06 June 2012   #27
For me, it's the worst kind of movie - the wasted opportunity.

If a movie's got a really low budget and the cast and crew do the best they can then that's admirable - even if the end result is a crappy film I can enjoy it for what it is.

If a movie's got a Hollywood budget and it's written by a hack and directed by a someone who obviously doesn't give a damn then you can just write that off as another bad job - there's plenty of sloppy films being made.

But when you've got the budget, you've got a director like Scott or Spielberg attached - you can have any cast you want and the studio are going to back you up the wazoo with marketing spend - how can you deliver something so mediocre?

Not good, not bad - just mediocre.

Some parts of Prometheus are outstanding (notably the VFX and elements of the story) but there's so much that's just plain bad that I'm dumbfounded as to how this happened.

The 'David' viral had so much more originality and subtle storytelling than the whole of Prometheus *sigh*
www.survivorfilms.co.uk

Old 06 June 2012   #28
I think we as cg folk should be proud that vfx seem to be the most stable aspect of any film. More often than not, people can walk out of a movie saying, "The vfx were good but..."

Honestly, I'm not all that surprised by what people are saying. Still gonna see it, but I never jumped on the hype train like so many others, trailers never did anything for me. Alien is incredible, but this film is so separate from that one I never connected the two, and thus my love for that film didn't carry over.

And Ridley Scott doesn't exactly have a perfect track record. He's made quite a few blunders in his day. Anyways bummed to hear lackluster reviews, but maybe I'll enjoy it with my low expectations? (Although weak characters and character dev. are a criticism hard to look past)

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 06 June 2012   #29
Originally Posted by leigh: I totally agree with this.
If Scott brings out a director's cut, I may be curious to see it, but other than that, the film should not require repeated viewings in order to make sense of its muddled storytelling.

I agree that a really good movie should not depend on repeated viewing and had I not already booked a ticket before I knew there was a cast&crew I would probably not have not bothered seeing it again that quickly but I have to say for me the main problem of this movie is focus and first time I saw it, some subtleties went straight over my head because I simply did not pay much attention to it, what with all the action going on. I think that especially the android David is the most interesting character here. Him and his relation to this maker on repeated viewing made some of his motivations much clearer and I got totally hooked on that.This is 100% hard Scifi here.
I amost think that R.Scott would have much preferred to do another Blade Runner than this Alien prequel. I also thought that Shaws religion was not contrived at all. She clearly does not believe in a traditional sense but just wants to see meaning/purpose behind creation thats why she made that journey, that why she was willing to believe humans were created by the engineers, and that is why when they turn against them she wants to find out why they did it, again she wants to understand the meaning, wants to see sense in it, which is basically a religious question in which she differs from the android (as she says to him herself). So no, I totally disagree that her "religion" was put in to appease certain audience. It makes totall sense with in her character.
But I agree that a good movie would have a better focus and would have made things clearer from the get go. Still, I sometimes prefer a movie with great ambitions that fails somewhat to one which sets its goal comparitively low and does that well ( A.I. is one of the former category, there are hundreds examples of the latter)
And no, wasted 2 hours that was not at all.

-k

Old 06 June 2012   #30
The minute I heard Lindelof I knew the story was going to be mediocre and meh at best. This whole origin of the human species thing is so cliche. It made me roll my eyes when I saw the trailer.

Thread Closed share thread