Prometheus - the reviews are as split as John Hurt's chest

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05 May 2012   #1
Prometheus - the reviews are as split as John Hurt's chest

Here's a (first?) review from the Guardian. Perhaps a bit more plot info than necessary, it's given three out of five and described as a bit muddled but there's a wonderful performance from Fastbender and spectacular visuals. My own 2 cents are that Scott has made a couple of mediocre and one or two overrated films in recent years , personally I don't think that he has ever come near to matching the sheer brilliance of his two early films Blade Runner and Alien. I was planning to go and see this one in the cinema until the review mentioned the overtly high volume of the soundtrack. I regularly listen to loud rock music but I find the levels that cinemas now blast sound into our ears so uncomfortable that it's to the point of being unbearable. Why the f*** they put us through this I do not know!
__________________
All out of bubblegum!
 
Old 05 May 2012   #2
Thumbs up

Saw it last night... Beautiful visuals (awesome job by MPC and Weta). Movie isn't spectacular as there are several plot holes that either there on purpose to make you think afterwards or simply because too much has been cut out (waiting for the directors cut...). It's visually incredible though. Planning on watching it again in IMAX soon.
BTW if you have seen the Trailer (not the teaser) then you have pretty much seen everything in terms of scenery and major plot twists... so please don't watch any featurette,vids beforehand!
 
Old 05 May 2012   #3
Originally Posted by MAK: Saw it last night... Beautiful visuals (awesome job by MPC and Weta). Movie isn't spectacular as there are several plot holes that either there on purpose to make you think afterwards or simply because too much has been cut out (waiting for the directors cut...). It's visually incredible though. Planning on watching it again in IMAX soon.
BTW if you have seen the Trailer (not the teaser) then you have pretty much seen everything in terms of scenery and major plot twists... so please don't watch any featurette,vids beforehand!
Everything that I see about this film makes me think that it has great odds of being nominated for Best Visual Effects but what is it about the visuals that is so beautiful? Are there many vistas and such?
 
Old 05 May 2012   #4
Originally Posted by Shletten: Everything that I see about this film makes me think that it has great odds of being nominated for Best Visual Effects but what is it about the visuals that is so beautiful? Are there many vistas and such?


Yup lots of great vistas among other things..
 
Old 05 May 2012   #5
Originally Posted by MAK: Yup lots of great vistas among other things..


Huge...tracks of land!!
__________________
Personal: www.japetusproductions.com
Work:Straightface Studios

 
Old 06 June 2012   #6
Originally Posted by hypercube: Another new featurette about that wonderful ship. Some new footage showing off more of the interior and production design as well, which is just F'ing stellar.

http://youtu.be/qYOrFUrzvQM?hd=1

A bit far to say it's a completely new design motif, but it is still badass, so wtf.

There are no new spoilers that haven't already been spoiled in the first two regular trailers, but if you're avoiding all things, then avoid this too.


A cool featurette that, and spoiler free. I have to admit, it will be hard not to like this film given the environment it's set in. A spectacular example of cg scifi. I was debating seeing it in 3D (given some poor prior experiences) until I saw the trailer with Avengers (and Avengers went down very nicely too).
__________________

 
Old 06 June 2012   #7
Somehow I am looking foward to this movie just for the simple fact of travelling in space and landing on unknown planets. Sci-fi is the only genre that delivers real escapism for me.
 
Old 06 June 2012   #8
Pedant mode on...

Originally Posted by japetus: Huge...tracks of land!!


tracts (sorry)
__________________
Andrew G. Morgan
Writer/Director
Survivor Films Ltd.
www.survivorfilms.co.uk
 
Old 06 June 2012   #9
Originally Posted by AegisPrime: tracts (sorry)


darn it all!
__________________
Personal: www.japetusproductions.com
Work:Straightface Studios

 
Old 06 June 2012   #10
It was all about

breasts (not sorry)


io9 has a spoilers-removed roundup of some of the early reviews from across the pond:

http://io9.com/5914281/is-prometheu...-reviews-are-in

Generally positive, it's at 89% on RT right now, but seems like a lot of people are wanting it to just be a remake of Alien, and that's kind of unfair.

Should probably get to making the big "reviews are impregnating you" thread around now.

Be careful reading some of those reviews from rottentomatoes BTW, lots of spoilers.
 
Old 06 June 2012   #11
Originally Posted by hypercube: breasts (not sorry)


io9 has a spoilers-removed roundup of some of the early reviews from across the pond:

http://io9.com/5914281/is-prometheu...-reviews-are-in

Generally positive, it's at 89% on RT right now, but seems like a lot of people are wanting it to just be a remake of Alien, and that's kind of unfair.

Should probably get to making the big "reviews are impregnating you" thread around now.

Be careful reading some of those reviews from rottentomatoes BTW, lots of spoilers.


I'm hoping it's NOT a remake of Alien...which is how I feel from the trailers. I just want it to be awesome.
__________________
Personal: www.japetusproductions.com
Work:Straightface Studios

 
Old 06 June 2012   #12
just back...liked it...lots to think about
one of those films where it's not all set out on a plate for you
__________________
stee+cats

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"
 
Old 06 June 2012   #13
ok. just came back from seeing it the 2nd time (1st one was cast and crew on tuesday)
On repeat viewing I have to say that some of the major criticism about massive plot holes and the unexplained motivations of the crew, concerns I very much had myself after the first viewing, might not always be justified.
There are a some rather subtle hints that, at least I, did not quite take in 1st time, with all the mayhem going on in between. Especially the relationship between the robot David and his... maker, is rather interesting and mirrors a similar theme of blade runner (and even Gladiator for that matter, as someone else pointed out) and might give a hint at possible answers for the main open question the movie leaves behind:
[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
(why do the engineers try to kill humans after they created them?)

Also the main characters rather peculiar relation to religion, which I did not care much about at first viewing started to make more sense.

Overall I'd say with the immense legacy attached to this movie as being a prequel to the best Sci-Fi Horrorfilms ever, your perception of Prometheus will depend a lot on your expectations. My advice is not to expect a horror movie confronting normal everyday working people with the totally "alien" horrors this vast and cold universe might hold.
This is more traditional hard sci-fi looking for answers with lots of monsters thrown into the mix which is still my biggest gripe, that these creeps and critters got a bit too much screentime and take away from possibly more interesting characters. Overall they make for a thrilling ride though and I was never bored for a sec.
Visually I am still amazed by the movie. Even though the design and cinematography are very different from alien, it looks amazing throughout.

The VFX? I did comp on it for half a year so I am biased... :-) but I think overall the quality of the effects is very high throughout the movie


-k

Last edited by Kai01W : 06 June 2012 at 12:22 AM.
 
Old 06 June 2012   #14
Ugh. I saw it this afternoon and thought it was absolutely terrible. The VFX were fantastic though.

But wow, what a disappointment. Boring, nonsensical plot, shallow characters with no real motivations, and no real alien ass kicking action. I want my two hours back.
__________________
leighvanderbyl.com
 
Old 06 June 2012   #15
Originally Posted by leigh: Ugh. I saw it this afternoon and thought it was absolutely terrible. The VFX were fantastic though.

But wow, what a disappointment. Boring, nonsensical plot, shallow characters with no real motivations, and no real alien ass kicking action. I want my two hours back.



http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

I'm still going though!
__________________
Personal: www.japetusproductions.com
Work:Straightface Studios

 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.