Is "test" for modeling gig legit?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2012   #1
Is "test" for modeling gig legit?

I recently just got a call back for a modeling gig. The company told me to fill out an NDA, and once I sent that back they'd give me a character modeling test.

I understand the implications of a test for hiring someone for a project, but this is my first commercial modeling gig so I'm unfamiliar with the range of complexity these tests can house.

The test involves creating a high res model that's movie quality, equipped with maps and color. Its not too daunting, but I'm paranoid that once I finish this test these guys will say "thanks" and use the model for a project without compensating me.

The company in question is not exactly top shelf, but they've completed some projects for notable clients so they have some-what of a rep.

Am I right to question the implications of this test project, or am I just being paranoid?

-benttoenail

Old 05 May 2012   #2
Most probably they won't use it without your permission. Such companies make enough not to do this kind of stuff. Be nice to them and don't question their fairness, it will pay off. If you fail the test, it doesn't mean you've been used. It's the thing most people think as it's easier to blame someone than oneselves. Just try to make your best with the test.

Old 05 May 2012   #3
Art tests are pretty common I've done them myself, have to say though I never had to sign an NDA. I think you are right to be suspicious personally but if you have the time you may as well just do it they might just be paranoid themselves

Old 05 May 2012   #4
I don't see what would be wrong with providing a lookdev style turn around and close ups instead of the actual model and textures. They should be perfectly qualified to judge your asset from those protecting you from them having your asset.

Is the asset they are asking you for specific for the project they are working on? I ask because tests are common, but usually a little more generic and thus not something they'd specifically use in their productions.

Old 05 May 2012   #5
Its how I got my first job years ago. Worst case they use it without you getting the job and you have one more good piece for your portfolio.

Old 05 May 2012   #6
While it's not common to require an NDA just for an art test, it's entirely possible that the company simply doesn't want the test itself finding it's way into the public eye where other people looking to apply for the same job could get a head start on it.

Current WIP thread

Old 05 May 2012   #7
@lucentdreams: they did provide a slide from a story board along with the concept image, so it does seem to be part of a larger project, but I'm not sure whether it's a previous project or a current one (might explain the NDA).

I do like the idea of sending look-dev images with maps, turn around etc. illustrating what I made, but going back to CB_3D's point "it's how I got my first job years ago"- I should probably just send them the OBJ + maps.

Which brings me to another point: How should I send this? Model +shader in FBX format with textures separately or is there another way?

Old 05 May 2012   #8
Tests.. omg.. most are bs. I've done a lot. Some get you the gig,.. some not.
(I should preface this by saying you should tell them, if, and only, IF, you do the test,.. that they "critique" your work and give you feedback why its not up to scale.) A lot of times you never hear back. And your time is valuable so really do this. {and let me say this again... tell them before this}.

Just follow the guidelines they sent you and you should be fine. Thats part of the test,.. to see if you will follow the guidelines.
And if you ask one question to them,. (usually HR will get it).. and they will be like,.."wtf is wrong with this guy?.. we gave him the outline." Even without knowing how 3d works. They are morons. So basically just submit your stuff with all you have based on the outline they gave you without asking any questions.

Good luck

Old 05 May 2012   #9
Sounds fishy to me. But as a vendor of services you have every right to create your own contract and make them sign it before you do any work. If they are legit this shouldn't bother them. If they are not they'll either raise a stink or not contact you further.

Old 05 May 2012   #10
I smell a scam!

Old 05 May 2012   #11
It's fairly common. It would be more ideal to have a two week trial period on the job, but a lot of companies like this test method better.

Just make sure to keep the source files and inscribe your information in the main file.

Old 05 May 2012   #12
Personally, I wouldn't do an art test. Frankly this is what a 1-3 month probation clause in an employment contract should be for - your reel demonstrates your ability, while the probation period is there to ensure you can fit into their workflow and produce work on time and up to and over the level demonstrated in your reel.

And yeah I know that in some fields (notably games), art tests are standard practice. But that doesn't mean they're not bullshit.

Old 05 May 2012   #13
It's a pity that NDA is there. You could have put the model in your reel.

Old 05 May 2012   #14
I do not work in the CG industry - it is just a hobby. However, one day I submitted a 'test piece' for a gig. I done it on behalf of a friend who does have a career in CG. Our services were then 'no longer required', but the models were still used. To this day in fact - projected up as a backdrop to a well known stage production. Whilst my friend was rightly miffed and carried on pursuing the legal channels, I wasn't really that fussed. Actually, it felt nice knowing that my work cut the mustard!!

So my two bob's worth - approach with caution, but keep an open mind.

Old 05 May 2012   #15
Originally Posted by grrinc: I do not work in the CG industry - it is just a hobby. However, one day I submitted a 'test piece' for a gig. I done it on behalf of a friend who does have a career in CG. Our services were then 'no longer required', but the models were still used. To this day in fact - projected up as a backdrop to a well known stage production. Whilst my friend was rightly miffed and carried on pursuing the legal channels, I wasn't really that fussed. Actually, it felt nice knowing that my work cut the mustard!!

So my two bob's worth - approach with caution, but keep an open mind.

I'd put that on my resume.

Thread Closed share thread