Old 04-28-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
comfortk
Frequenter
portfolio
Kyle Raffile
3D Artist
Zero VFX
Boston, USA

CG Workshop - Look Dev and Image Lighting - Is it worth it?

Alright guys, I've been a member of cgsociety for a long time and I have been eyeing the workshops for years now thinking if I should take one or not. The only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger is whether or not it's worth it.

I graduated college in 2009 majoring in 3D and have been staff/freelance since in both NYC and Boston. And with the recent workshop http://workshops.cgsociety.org/courseinfo.php?id=259 ,
I've been wondering if I should take it as look Dev is a decent part of my job.

I just want to know if any of you have any experience with these workshops and would it be worthwhile (and worth the hefty payment) to take a class at my experience level. I'm not saying I'm the best by any stretch of the imagination but I know that anyone can sign up for these classes and I would like to know who these classes are geared for.

Any help would be appreciated and if you need to judge my skill level, take a look at my demo reel

http://www.comfortkyle.com/storage/..._DemoReel10.mov

Last edited by comfortk : 04-28-2012 at 01:43 AM.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
FrankIowa
Frequenter
portfolio
Frank Heffner
Instructor and Program Director
Western Iowa Tech Community College
Sioux City, USA

Kyle:

That course appears to be new so you probably will not get any direct feedback about it. I have taken a few workshops and can offer some advice. I'm into game development, but have taken a variety of workshops.

You get the most out of the workshops if you post assignments every week and get feedback from the instructor. In almost every workshop I've taken it seems that after a couple of weeks only a few people consistently post their work. The more you post the more that you will get out of the course.

The instructors usually know their field well, but the teaching quality varies from workshop to workshop. Most are helpful, provide constructive criticism, and go out of their way to do paintovers and some even upload additional videos when students are having difficulty with a particular concept. I've only taken one workshop that I would not take again if I had the choice (instructor was skilled in his field, but has a lot to learn to become a good teacher). I've learned much in the majority of workshops that I've taken (but I try to keep current and post my work). If you do not post and get feedback then you might as well buy training DVDs and save some money.

You can probably email the instructor with questions. Even though you may be more advanced than other students in the course, the instructor can usually provide feedback tailored to helping you improve.

Good luck,

Frank

Old 12-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
Doark
portfolio
Henrik D'oark
Brasília, Brazil

Smile Some result?

Now that the course already happened, any student who did he have any testimony or images that developed because of the course?

Old 12-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread