THE AVENGERS Reviews Have Assembled Here! In A Word: EXCELSIOR!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2012   #46
Originally Posted by Michael5188: This is a major theme in the Batman story though. Batman will not kill, yet by doing so who can say how many lives he has ended indirectly.

Everytime Batman stops Joker and just sends him back to Arkham or when he stops someone from killing him so he can go back on yet another killing spree killing dozens, I feel like biting´Brucey´s head clean off.

Old 04 April 2012   #47
Originally Posted by eliseu gouveia: Everytime Batman stops Joker and just sends him back to Arkham or when he stops someone from killing him so he can go back on yet another killing spree killing dozens, I feel like biting´Brucey´s head clean off.

True, but then where does he draw the line?

He kills Joker cause Joker keeps killing people. Then he kills Two-Face. Then he kills a crime lord. Then he kills some of the crime lord's lackey's cause they keep escaping and killing more people. Pretty soon Batman is the outlaw vigilante the cops need to bring down.

Sorry, don't want to drag this thread too off topic.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 04 April 2012   #48
Originally Posted by webhead: I like how they really make the Hulk look like the actor who's playing him in this movie. It will really help sell the effect of Dr. Banner transforming into a raging, green monster.

I´m reading that a lot, but for the life of me I don´t see any semblance whatsoever

Old 04 April 2012   #49
I really, really, really, really, really enjoyed it.

This film should have been a complete mess. The blending of so many characters (that have not only been established in other movies but were in most cases the stars) coupled with the insanely ludicrous plot are a recipe for confusion, plate-spinning & disaster... But, it not only works, it works well.

It's not perfect by any means but most of the weaker elemnents are down to existing lore & rules set by the previous films. Even then, Joss Whedon works minor miracles to keep things grounded - as soon as Thor starts to rant about how important he is, he's cut down buy either the events or the people around him...etc.

On top of the great dialogue, the action is brilliant, it never feels like a replacement for story & the effects work is mind blowing. The hulk IS incredible.

I think my favourite thing is that this movie proves you can have a blockbuster, vfx driven film that isn't complete shit. I always hate it when people excuse terrible action films because "you should leave your brain at the door" or because it's a "popcorn movie". Granted, this is a film about comic book superheroes fighting space aliens for a power cube, but it's a good film about comic book super heroes fighting space aliens for a power cube - and that really takes some doing!

My only hope is that on watching this film, Michael Bay becomes painfully self-aware & then disappears in a violent vortex of shame & regret.

Last edited by AJ : 04 April 2012 at 10:23 PM.

Old 04 April 2012   #50
Originally Posted by AJ: I always hate it when people excuse terrible action films because "you should leave your brain at the door" or because it's a "popcorn movie".

Really glad to hear we have another example of why action/superhero/exciting adventure films don't have to be Clash of the Titans stupid (and don't have to be an art house film). There's a middle ground believe it or not

Can't wait to see this!

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 04 April 2012   #51
Originally Posted by CB_3D: I´m reading that a lot, but for the life of me I don´t see any semblance whatsoever

Of course, It's not a perfect likeness since the Hulk first and foremost has to resemble the rampaging brute fans know and love from the comics, but there is definitely more of a resemblance to the actor playing Bruce Banner this time around than in any of the previous incarnations.

Old 04 April 2012   #52
Record numbers of pre-sale tickets sold for THE AVENGERS!

http://collider.com/the-avengers-tickets/162231/

"In super shocking news, a lot of people want to see The Avengers. We reported last night that Joss Whedon’s all-star superhero pic is breaking records at the international box office (it’s already open in Australia, New Zealand, and Taiwan), and today MovieTickets.com announced that more pre-sale tickets have been sold for The Avengers than the pre-sale numbers for Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America: The First Avenger combined at this same point in the sales cycle for each film. In a related story, water is wet.

Though this pre-sale statistic is in no way surprising, one interesting tidbit that MovieTickets.com released is that 56% of pre-sales for The Avengers is for 3D showings."

Old 04 April 2012   #53
Awesome news.
Of course, if they decided to make a Black Widow movie (pigs will fly by then), I would be in geek heaven.

Old 04 April 2012   #54
Superhero Movie...

Released in India today.Amazing movie with a well written script and the dialogues were great.
Kudos to Joss Whedon for making this movie the way it is.Will be definitely watching it a second time.Also great show by all the VFX artists.This movie just shows how to balance an ensemble cast, an "unbelievable" story and great VFX.
I am not so clear on the audio/sound department so cannot comment on it.
Must watch if you like Avengers comicbooks, or watch it anyway....

Old 04 April 2012   #55
cool to hear this movie is well made ! I only read good opinions about it and cannot wait to see it ! Well made Marvel and Joss Wheedon !

Old 04 April 2012   #56
Was an amazing movie! Really enjoyed it.

Old 04 April 2012   #57
Guys, on behalf of most of those who haven´t seen it yet, this is one of those occasions when I´m sure you could get away with a bit more development than "it was great".

Old 04 April 2012   #58
Well, if you really haven't read any critiques yet (Empire's has been online for a while, for example) then here are a few things I liked about it.

It's basically the antithesis of Nolan's Batman movies in the best possible way, showing you how a good comic book movie can be done in a different way. It's bright and colorful, funny, witty, over the top, unrestrained. Yet it avoids being ridiculous, too clichéd, boring, or insulting (I think you all know what other movies I have in mind here).
It doesn't have any weaknesses, but it has many strengths. The pacing is spot on, you never get bored but it doesn't overwhelm you with relentless action either - it builds up continuously, but it slows down in perfect rhythm between the more powerful scenes. It even has some of Whedon's unexpected moves where he goes against your expectations - I actually expect one of these scenes to be mentioned on the same page with a certain event in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
"puny god"

And there's soooo much content, it's not like the first Iron Man which I really like but it leaves you wanting more, especially because the fight with Iron Monger is so underwhelming. Here, you get just enough of everything but not too much.

Sure, it does not really have a "serious" aspect, but we'll get enough of that in the final Dark Knight movie so why bother trying to force it into this movie. The main goal is to entertain you and Avengers achieves it perfectly from beginning to end.

If I really had to criticize something, it's the design of some elements - the aliens are completely unremarkable, I couldn't sketch them up at all; and the Captain's suit isn't as good as it should be (at least he spends a lot of time without wearing that silly hood).
But the new Iron Man Mark VII armor is cool, the Hulk tops the previous ILM incarnation (big applause for Gio Nakpil and whoever else worked on it), oh and the SHIELD "headquarters" is amazing too. Yeah, Thor's pretty much the same, Loki has some upgrades but the look is the same... However, altogether there's an insane amount of effects work, practically seamless all the time, with some truly insane sequences that I have absolutely no idea how they're even possible... light spoiler:
[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
there's a shot which starts with flying by the side of Iron Man, all the way until he lands near the others and starts some close quarters fighting, and it's completely seamless all the way with insane momentum

People thought the trailers gave away too much, but honestly, it's like 5% at most, this is like the most intensive stuff since Avatar.

It's been overdue for at least a decade, but Whedon's finally going to heaven. If Prometheus, the Dark Knight Rises and the Hobbit can live up to expectations just half as much as Avengers did then 2012 is going to be a red letter year for movies.

Old 04 April 2012   #59
Almost forgot. Now that he's famous, somebody has to give Whedon money for anything Firefly related!

Old 04 April 2012   #60
Without getting into spoilers, any of you who saw it, see it in 3D? What was your thought on the quality of 3D?

I am curious because there have been raves about the 3D, from "regular folks".. I know it was a post-conversion, but with all the vfx work being at such a high level I have hopes the conversion might have been done well, too.

Thread Closed share thread