CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #31
webhead
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
It's frustrating that so many of these threads come down to "If it has to make total logical sense to you, then it's probably not for you." This is not what I said. I said that the premises and "believability" of superheroes is somewhat compromised by today's more technically savvy audience.

Like I said, if someone can't suspend there disbelief enough to enjoy this movie, then it probably isn't for them. Everyone can make up their own mind. As you said, you might want to rent it, so you're obviously not that into it. Fine.
I have a friend who likes sci-fi /fantasy films, but he has his own standards about which movies are too far-fetched to suspend his disbelief, and which ones aren't. I really don't get how he measures what's reasonable, or what makes logical sense, and what doesn't. He wouldn't see Captain America because he thought a guy who slings a shield was too crazy, but he likes Superman movies? I know another guy who would only watch Smallville. He has no interest in any other superhero show or movie, no matter how far superior they might be to Smallville. Go figure? To each his own.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #32
Jean-Dean

portfolio
Jean-Dean
Taipei, Taiwan

First Twitter Reactions From UK Screening Of AVENGERS ASSEMBLE Hit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q_EAHhjvM0

Enjoy !

Old 04-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #33
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

As a novelty film I think its interesting even though I am getting tired of super hero movies. I would think the concept is starting to wear thin-but I dont think they will stop making them anytime soon, even as they keep recycling it over and over. They are too valuable for marketing and merchandising.

I dont really have much problem with Thor since they have Loki to balance it out and give him an opponent. That way he handles the big threats while the rest handle the others.
I think just about any ridiculous concept could be handled with a straight face and the audience made to buy it but it depends on the filmmakers.

But I did find it weird in the 80s when Hercules had his own mini series and was flying around the galaxy chatting with aliens. The Marvel Universe is just so out there.
How would they work Dracula or Mephistopheles into a Marvel superhero movie...That would be really tricky.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #34
webhead
Expert

Actually, I have a lot easier time suspending disbelief watching a superhero do some super feat in a movie, then I do when a hero like John McClane, James Bond, or Ethan Hunt do something really outrageous like outrun an explosion, survive having an entire bridge collapse on them, or start a helicopter in mid-air. It's one thing when a superhero defies gravity, or makes it through a hail of bullets, or an enormous explosion unscathed, but I don't like it when they make a relatively normal guy do such impossible feats. Don't get me wrong. I do love a good action hero like James Bond, and I loved the last Mission Impossible. It's just that those types of films too often stretch the boundaries of believability to the breaking point.

Last edited by webhead : 04-23-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #35
webhead
Expert

Believable characters, or not, you have to admit, the visuals are top notch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...d&v=2aLgdMz0p5Y

Old 04-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #36
CofTsucks
Know-it-All
portfolio
Barny Noble
Paris, United States Minor Outlying Islands

I was watching the Dark Knight Begins the other day and picking it apart.
My main problem was in the scene where Bruce was asked to execute the murdering farmer.
He couldn't do that but then caused a chain of events that caused the death of at least 10 people in an explosion, probably including the Farmer.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:07 AM   #37
webhead
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofTsucks
My main problem was in the scene where Bruce was asked to execute the murdering farmer.
He couldn't do that but then caused a chain of events that caused the death of at least 10 people in an explosion, probably including the Farmer.

That's because Bruce never did learn to mind his surroundings!

Last edited by webhead : 04-24-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:24 AM   #38
eliseu gouveia
Engine of Creation

Eliseu Gouveia
Comicbook Artist
Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhead
Actually, I have a lot easier time suspending disbelief watching a superhero do some super feat in a movie, then I do when a hero like John McClane, James Bond, or Ethan Hunt do something really outrageous like outrun an explosion, survive having an entire bridge collapse on them, or start a helicopter in mid-air. It's one thing when a superhero defies gravity, or makes it through a hail of bullets, or an enormous explosion unscathed, but I don't like it when they make a relatively normal guy do such impossible feats. Don't get me wrong. I do love a good action hero like James Bond, and I loved the last Mission Impossible. It's just that those types of films too often stretch the boundaries of believability to the breaking point.

It doesnエt matter what the story is.
It can be about giant undead snails from Mars who crashland on earth hoping to get a part on Broadway.
It may feature Daffy Duck surviving having a truck dropped on his head.
Or a Super man who can fly.

Every story has to obey its inner logic.
Itエs why the Daredevil movie broke my suspension o disbelief.
Yes, Matt got enhanced supersenses.
But the abilty to hear or smell better doesnエt make you able to survive jumping from one building to another, falling for 100 meters without a hicup.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:59 AM   #39
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliseu gouveia
It doesnエt matter what the story is.
It can be about giant undead snails from Mars who crashland on earth hoping to get a part on Broadway.
It may feature Daffy Duck surviving having a truck dropped on his head.
Or a Super man who can fly.

Every story has to obey its inner logic.
Itエs why the Daredevil movie broke my suspension o disbelief.
Yes, Matt got enhanced supersenses.
But the abilty to hear or smell better doesnエt make you able to survive jumping from one building to another, falling for 100 meters without a hicup.

I think that is always the key for me..yes some of these impossible things might be harder to believe than others, but it is totally down the tubes if the movie can't even keep its own bullshit straight..it's like the filmmakers go so far down a rabbit hole they forget what they were doing earlier in the script. Or they foreshadow something and then completely drop it..that's not subverting my expectations, that's losing track of your own movie.

Prequels and sequels can do this to some degree even when they are internally consistent, but totally trash the world-rules that the other movies set up. Sometimes even more frustrating.

I like the effort they have put into making the movies leading up to the Avengers try and make sense and live within the same world, even if they all suffered a little bit for having to do essentially prequel duty for this movie, it's nice to have a sense of an overall structure, and all these things existing at the same time.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #40
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

New footage (from the archives)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0jBF912xYY

Old 04-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #41
Abaddon
Know-it-All

on the road less travelled
Australia

Really enjoyed it, was massively epic and not to cheesy, great sense of humour. The powers levels of the heroes was handled quite well....as in it worked having a god and a special agent in the same team.
Very impressive and astounding amount of action in the last third of the movie. Can only imagine the amount of work that went into the cg.

And Hulk is just awesome.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:55 AM   #42
Buscat
Education Forum Leader

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Kirsty Parkin
Manager, Education and Training
Rising Sun Pictures
Adelaide, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhead
Just imagine the Hulk singing, "It's not easy being green."

I am imagining it. I like it.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #43
TheDistiller
Frequenter

portfolio
Christian Hecht
3d generalist
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon
Really enjoyed it, was massively epic and not to cheesy, great sense of humour. The powers levels of the heroes was handled quite well....as in it worked having a god and a special agent in the same team.
Very impressive and astounding amount of action in the last third of the movie. Can only imagine the amount of work that went into the cg.

And Hulk is just awesome.

Will see it tomorrow eve, can't wait for the Hulk to kick everyone's ass!

Old 04-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #44
webhead
Expert

I like how they really make the Hulk look like the actor who's playing him in this movie. It will really help sell the effect of Dr. Banner transforming into a raging, green monster. Also, the fact that Ruffalo, through a motion capture suit, gets to play the Hulk, as well as, Bruce Banner. Something that none of the previous actors got to do.

I know some people are upset that Norton isn't playing the Hulk this time around, but I'm actually glad he's out. I thought he brought almost nothing to the role. I think Ruffalo will be much more likable. Also, he has that look to him like a guy who is a bit sensitive, who's been hurt a few times, and maybe has more to him than meets the eye. Eager to see how he handles the role.

Last edited by webhead : 04-26-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #45
Michael5188
another mime

portfolio
Michael Sime
animator/rigger
NYC, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofTsucks

This is a major theme in the Batman story though. Batman will not kill, yet by doing so who can say how many lives he has ended indirectly.

www.MichaelSime.com

Thread Closed share thread