CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
webhead
Expert

THE AVENGERS Reviews Have Assembled Here! In A Word: EXCELSIOR!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/marvels_the_avengers/

"It took nearly a half-century to make it happen onscreen, but The Avengers was worth the wait, pairing together the perfect cast and perfect writer/director."

"Wildly entertaining yet brilliantly cohesive, wonderfully characterised, deftly humorous and packed with heart, this is an absolute winner."

"A joyous blend of heroism and humour that raises the stakes even as it maintains a firm grip on what makes the individual heroes tick."

"Like a superior, state-of-the-art model built from reconstituted parts, Joss Whedon's buoyant, witty and robustly entertaining superhero smash-up is escapism of a sophisticated order."

"Lovers of the genre will be hard pressed to name their favourite superhero or moment: egos, powers & personalities let rip, as extravagant action, awe-inspiring stunts & extraordinary effects fill the screen in a blaze of spectacle. There's humour too."

"Something remarkable: a superhero movie that entertains, excites, explodes, and even takes time to examine itself, and the world in which we live in."

"The Avengers delivers! Considering the challenges and pitfalls of assembling disparate heroes and subplots, the skillfully-helmed movie is an effective balancing act between individual stories and collective goals."

"Though overlong and inevitably burdened by the need to juggle so many protagonists, the film is robustly entertaining and manages to maintain a playful, crowd-pleasing spirit."

"Marvel's finest heroes finally come together to set a comic book franchise gold standard that will take some beating."

"Whedon pulls off a stunning feat in bringing balance to this superhuman circus, engineered to charm the geek core and non-fans alike."

"Whedon has delivered a highly commercial Hollywood product that's funny and builds to a stirring climax. Not only fanboys will love it."

"It's phenomenally awesome. No review for the film really matters anyway because you'd be mental to miss the biggest superhero film event since we were pooped out from the big bang."

"Big, brash and very funny, Joss Whedon's Avengers is equal to the sum of its parts - and for once, that's no faint praise. Suit up."

Last edited by webhead : 05-02-2012 at 03:14 AM.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

Was just about to come and start that ball rolling..the other buzz from around the net and twitter etc. has been pretty phenomenal as well.

Not that anything on earth will prevent me from seeing this movie, and I was already going in psyched, but it is good to know other people like it, they really like it.

EDIT: BTW when did the US become the red headed stepchild for release dates? TWO WEEKS, argh

Old 04-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
webhead
Expert

I'm really glad the reviews/buzz on this film are so positive! As a kid, I didn't read the X-Men -I read the AVENGERS.
I can hardly wait to see this!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
EricM
Expert
Eric Marodon

Funny to see such reviews because as someone who never grew up with the avenger (I know a bit of the big ones in it, but that's it), I can't think of a more nonsensical premise and bunch of characters tied together than this one...

When I studied sriptwriting, I was taught to avoid what was called "double mumbo-jumbo" : you can only ever have one kind of extraordinary trick per story, for consistency. Like If an alien comes to invade earth, he can't get bitten by a vampire and then become an undead alien... (unless it's an Ed Wood movie).

And here we have a Norse god with a man transformed into a monster by gamma rays, a flying billionnaire, a genetically enhanced warbond salesman and Scarlet Johanson.

I guess it all makes sense in the US for people bred for 50 years with that, and seeing the evolution little by little, but you have to admit it would be laughable if it didn't have the marvel brand behind.

Like a five years old did the pitch : And then... come the Space Dinosaurs...

Last edited by EricM : 04-20-2012 at 10:11 PM.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
webhead
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM
And here we have a Norse god with a man transformed into a monster by gamma rays, a flying billionnaire, a genetically enhanced warbond salesman and Scarlet Johanson.
And, an alien invasion to boot! It's got it all! The only thing missing are some big musical numbers. Just imagine the Hulk singing, "It's not easy being green."

Old 04-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
Michael5188
another mime

portfolio
Michael Sime
animator/rigger
NYC, USA

Quote:
Funny to see such reviews because as someone who never grew up with the avenger (I know a bit of the big ones in it, but that's it), I can't think of a more nonsensical premise and bunch of characters tied together than this one...

When I studied sriptwriting, I was taught to avoid what was called "double mumbo-jumbo" : you can only ever have one kind of extraordinary trick per story, for consistency. Like If an alien comes to invade earth, he can't get bitten by a vampire and then become an undead alien... (unless it's an Ed Wood movie).

I guess it all makes sense in the US for people bred for 50 years with that, and seeing the evolution little by little, but you have to admit it would be laughable if it didn't have the marvel brand behind.

This is most core superhero comics outside of Batman, and even then that can sound ridiculous.

I do think that all the single films leading up to this help make it feel less thrown together or random though. And I think you're right about the years and years of knowing these characters (don't know why you limit it to US considering Marvel characters are pretty worldwide.) desensitizing us to the sheer insanity of what is actually happening.

Personally I've always found the Norse God aspect the hardest to fit into the mix, considering everything else is very science focused. But honestly with the set up I just accept it and move on. Can't say I blame you if you have trouble doing the same.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 04-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Quote:

No. No it doesn't. I'm not trying to crap on people's love of these characters, but I have always found the conceit of superheroes to be ridiculous. I can get behind the sci-fi premise of something like Spiderman or Ironman, but then they make costumes and decide to fight crime? Oh, please!

To be fair, I think that these types of comics characters have become more ridiculous looking over time. The preponderance of technology is so widespread across all cultures and classes that the once-amazing "powers of science" no longer holds the fantastic appeal it did decades ago. When more than half the country was agrarian, Superman seemed like a wild fantasy. Now he just looks like some cosplaying freak.

All that aside, if it's entertaining and well structured, I'd probably rent it.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
EricM
Expert
Eric Marodon

Quote:
Just imagine the Hulk singing, "It's not easy being green."

Now that would be something... or didn't I see that already in a Blake Edwards movie ?

Quote:
don't know why you limit it to US considering Marvel characters are pretty worldwide.

I'm 34 and I like comics a lot (I have a whole shelf), but though I knew the Xmen, Iron Man, Spiderman, the Hulk and Batman, I didn't know of the Avengers as a series before the movie was announced. Thor was never really a big one and the last characters are totally unkown to me and most of the people around me.

In France where I grew up there where many other comics available in many genres (including what you could describe as graphic novels) and superheros where just like another corner in the comic store. It's known, but save a few titles, it's not huge and it's not ingrained in our culture. But this might be a bias of mine due to the peculiar comic market in continental Europe and France/Belgium in particular.

I could buy Iron Man and Hulk together. Maybe even Captain America in the lot, it's all science based indeed, but Thor ? It's like Harry Potter in Avatar...

What can save this movie, is humor. If it doesn't take itself too seriously and jokes about how improbable this all is, which seems the way they approached it at first glance, then fair enough. It's silly, then so be it and enjoy...

Edit : And by the way I enjoyed the first Iron Man, Spiderman 2 and even Thor to some extent. Nothing special against superheroes (though I tend to like those without superpowers like Batman and Iron man). I also loved Watchmen (the comic and the movie). Just that this peculiar mix is a strange potion....

Last edited by EricM : 04-20-2012 at 10:55 PM.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
mushroomgod
marzipan...its great!!

portfolio
Matthew Dartford
illustrator and lazy git
MDI Digital
Norwich, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to mushroomgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot

To be fair, I think that these types of comics characters have become more ridiculous looking over time. The preponderance of technology is so widespread across all cultures and classes that the once-amazing "powers of science" no longer holds the fantastic appeal it did decades ago.

I feel the same way about religion.

Flickr

MDI Digital

Old 04-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #10
Michael5188
another mime

portfolio
Michael Sime
animator/rigger
NYC, USA

Quote:
In France where I grew up there where many other comics available in many genres (including what you could describe as graphic novels) and superheros where just like another corner in the comic store. It's known, but save a few titles, it's not huge and it's not ingrained in our culture. But this might be a bias of mine due to the peculiar comic market in continental Europe and France/Belgium in particular.

Hmm, well I never read comics growing up and didn't exactly know about the Avengers, but I knew about the characters on a vague basis. Not sure how ingrained it is in general US culture. For instance, I didn't know who Hawkeye or Scarlett's characters were prior to these movies. And I have some friends in Germany who are pretty big fans, but maybe because they sought it out. But Iron Man, Thor, Hulk? I thought they were pretty well known, but obviously I have no idea. Anyways, I think it's just weird to anyone not really into comics, but the concept of superheroes being so known and common helps.

But yeah, totally agree with Thor, that character is pretty hard to buy.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 04-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #11
webhead
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
I think that these types of comics characters have become more ridiculous looking over time.

What did he say?

Last edited by webhead : 04-20-2012 at 11:35 PM.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #12
Emmanuel
For hire

portfolio
Emmanuel Henné
Designer (diploma)
Kaiserslautern, Germany

Its all fairy tales, folks, the message is not in the characters, they are just uber-archetypes to make the message clearly understandable: whatever differences we have, whatever we look like, however smart we are, each on of us has a value, a role, is important, can contribute to the whole. Its like the Grimm tales, its like the Ilyas, or the Oddyssey, Jason and the Argonauts...there is really no point in discussing the "probability" of such things.
No one discussed the "Seven Samurai" this way.
Thats what legends are made of and for

Old 04-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel
Its all fairy tales, folks, the message is not in the characters, they are just uber-archetypes to make the message clearly understandable....

I totally get that and I agree. All I was saying was that such broad (and fantastical) archetypes may have played better to the less sophisticated, non-technologized audience of 40 or 50 years ago.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

A big difference between superheroes and the heroes of ancient legends is that the latter types tended to be truer to human nature-they had flaws, selfish desires, murderous rage, jealousy, arrogance--Odysseus was ruthless, Achilles was vindictive etc...superheroes are restricted to being public servants who may have doubt or substance abuse but not the other personality traits due to their merchandising ties and the goal to keep them kid-friendly role models.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
Zerflag
Dedicated

portfolio
Enoch Ihde
R&D Guy
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via AIM to Zerflag
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomgod
I feel the same way about religion.

And politics too right?